GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 "Off Season??!! What off season??!!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Meanwhile, they have some clean-up to do in the BJ locker room.

1695012787233.png

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
This public castration of Mike babcocks ego has been amazing to watch unfold. Been getting me through my nights shifts on turnaround standby

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
Being his video coach for three seasons , I wonder if Jay Wood has any interesting Babcock tales

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Meanwhile, they have some clean-up to do in the BJ locker room.

View attachment 743939
Think Jenner is really the only issue here. Being the captain he should've reached out once he heard there were issues.

Sure his experience with the situation might've been a non-issue, but that doesn't mean Babcock treated everyone the same or that everyone was okay with it.

Being his video coach for three seasons , I wonder if Jay Wood has any interesting Babcock tales
Probably at the time they wouldn't be tales. Things were a lot different back then. A lot of the shit coaches did back in the day was accepted. Wasn't until recently that things drastically changed where a coach had to change with how he dealt with players.

Reactions: Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Think Jenner is really the only issue here. Being the captain he should've reached out once he heard there were issues.

Sure his experience with the situation might've been a non-issue, but that doesn't mean Babcock treated everyone the same or that everyone was okay with it.

Probably at the time they wouldn't be tales. Things were a lot different back then. A lot of the shit coaches did back in the day was accepted. Wasn't until recently that things drastically changed where a coach had to change with how he dealt with players.

From what I heard on 32 Thoughts this morning it didn't sound like it was even a Blue Jackets player that sent the text messages to Bisonnette directly. It was a current/former Leaf player that told him some of what he had heard from a player on the inside.

It was likely a situation where the effected player(s) were mortified that what they told someone in confidence went to the media and then blew up. They probably wanted to shut up as to not be tagged as the one to spill the beans to an outside party. Even if Jenner did everything textbook in his role, there's a good chance he wouldn't have heard anything anyways.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
From what I heard on 32 Thoughts this morning it didn't sound like it was even a Blue Jackets player that sent the text messages to Bisonnette directly. It was a current/former Leaf player that told him some of what he had heard from a player on the inside.

It was likely a situation where the effected player(s) were mortified that what they told someone in confidence went to the media and then blew up. They probably wanted to shut up as to not be tagged as the one to spill the beans to an outside party. Even if Jenner did everything textbook in his role, there's a good chance he wouldn't have heard anything anyways.
I think the question is, did he do everything by the textbook? If not then why.

With Babcock coming in there was the worry of how he'd treat players to begin with. But Columbus as a whole needs their young kids to hit their potentials and if you were going to go the Babcock route you really needed a strong leader to be the communication guy between coach and players.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
If anyone wants to watch textbook business crisis management communication, here's the link to the BJ's media conference:

But most specifically, here's an opportunity to listen to a modern era hockey coach with strong communications skills, ability to articulate himself clearly in a human, authentic way. I'm impressed by Pascal Vincent. It is so different from old schooler Babcock who talked about many of the same things in terms of how to effectively work with 20+ different personality types when taking the C-Bus job but it sounded forced and artificial talking of individualized communication plans and such. Vincent said that he and Babcock have a shared vision of how the game should be played, the systems will largely be the same, process involved, and expectations. But the way in which they lead that 'hard work' is night and day.

Ultimately C-Bus failed with its high risk hiring decision of Babcock. Probably most bizarrely I don't think Babcock and the team management should have let him do anything one-on-one with players before even getting on ice with their group. Ultimately Babcock exposed himself as a guy incapable of reading the room and normalized expectations around coaching modern athletes or any workplace (as the excuses that a locker room standards are different).

But again, purpose of my post is an invitation to listen to Vincent.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
If anyone wants to watch textbook business crisis management communication, here's the link to the BJ's media conference:

But most specifically, here's an opportunity to listen to a modern era hockey coach with strong communications skills, ability to articulate himself clearly in a human, authentic way. I'm impressed by Pascal Vincent. It is so different from old schooler Babcock who talked about many of the same things in terms of how to effectively work with 20+ different personality types when taking the C-Bus job but it sounded forced and artificial talking of individualized communication plans and such. Vincent said that he and Babcock have a shared vision of how the game should be played, the systems will largely be the same, process involved, and expectations. But the way in which they lead that 'hard work' is night and day.

Ultimately C-Bus failed with its high risk hiring decision of Babcock. Probably most bizarrely I don't think Babcock and the team management should have let him do anything one-on-one with players before even getting on ice with their group. Ultimately Babcock exposed himself as a guy incapable of reading the room and normalized expectations around coaching modern athletes or any workplace (as the excuses that a locker room standards are different).

But again, purpose of my post is an invitation to listen to Vincent.

Did not play. Either on your post citation or youtube.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The video begins about the 1:31:06 mark. There's an exceptionally long lag and dead air from when they start the broadcast.

Regardless, another link :

The first one worked as well. You have to go about 1hour:30 in before the conference starts, and then about 25 minutes of Davidson and Jarmo, and then Vincent starts around 1:57. Seems like a decent guy, but I guess we'll see.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Meh. I’ll stand by the post. If you think Biz is a credible individual we’ll agree to disagree. The fact that he was able to use his platform (ironically a platform built on everything that is so called ‘toxic’ about the ‘hockey bro culture’) to stir up a tempest in a teapot is irrelevant to his credibility.

Like I said in my first post on this topic, guys like Babcock can’t continue in snowflake world. In snowflake world the loudest voice always wins. Again, ironically, those voices can be saying the most despicable things ‘bend you over, no lube .. etc, so long as they appear to be on the ‘correct’ side of the issue currently under discussion.

Babcock was stupid to take the job given his track record. CBJ was stupid to offer him the job. I feel very sorry for guys like Gaudreau and Jenner who now have to lead that locker room.
Well, in this case for sure he's credible as it turned out to be the truth and was significant enough for someone to fired for (despite the now used "resignation clause" and "mutually parting ways" that everyone uses these days. Based on that, I'm not sure how anyone can think otherwise, and maybe the credibility question lies more the other way.;) You may not like him and that's fine. But he was 100 % spot on. I hate the snowflake and cancel culture (like most of us do on here), but this has nothing to do with that. Wonder how you'd feel if your new boss wanted to have a scan through your phone?

"Why are we supposed to win?"
"We're not! " We're supposed to have fun!"

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Biz has way too much to lose by making shit up. He didn't make 10's of millions in his career and is probably further ahead now then he was when he was playing.

He's not going to risk losing his TNT deal or risk losing players and coaches from coming onto his podcast with made up rumors.

Especially this one.

I see this as no different than when a guy like Kane speaks up. I get why people rather not listen to him, but sometimes it takes guys like Kane or Biz to say something because no one else has the balls to.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Biz has way too much to lose by making shit up. He didn't make 10's of millions in his career and is probably further ahead now then he was when he was playing.

He's not going to risk losing his TNT deal or risk losing players and coaches from coming onto his podcast with made up rumors.

Especially this one.

I see this as no different than when a guy like Kane speaks up. I get why people rather not listen to him, but sometimes it takes guys like Kane or Biz to say something because no one else has the balls to.
Exactly. People are confusing their obvious dislike of the individual with their integrity.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Especially this one.

I’m trying to keep up with the cool kids. Is this where I’m supposed to call you a snowflake? ;)

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Lots of strong emotion and opinions on le affaire Babcock. Here are a couple pieces I think do a good job of presenting the rise and fall of Ohio State Babcock. Good reportage imo:

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Can I look at your phone - No
Can I come over for supper - No
Can I borrow your car - No
How hard is any of that? Its a big SO WHAT. Must be an age difference thing. When have people become so soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad