GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 "Off Season??!! What off season??!!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I have been bored today and entertained myself reading some Laffs posts and their mental gymnastics

"Thanks for your input, though completely irrelevant to what I was speaking to. No one is comparing Matthews to McDavid in terms of statistical out put, we know this. McDavid and Draisaitl are miles ahead of everyone. We are talking about the narrative of being playoff chokers. McDavid and Draisaitl in my opinion are just as much of playoff chokers as Matthews and Marner. They get a ton more power plays so their numbers are inflated, especially McDavids. His even strength production wasn’t that great this year. To me, if you don’t get it done you don’t get it done. Doesn’t matter if you have 23 points or if you have 11. You still failed at the objective of winning."
This is the old pp goals don't count as much as 5 vs 5 goals stuff. Unfortunately, no one ever told thsi to the official score keeper.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I'll take my lumps on this one. Can't stand Bissonette but still feel this created a poison well situation. Will still stand on my belief that everyone deserves due process and, through that, the facts will always carry the day to appropriate action. Players have significant tools to help them grieve including a real labour heavyweight running their union. This

Hard to believe only ten days ago a high character guy like Hyman was stumping on behalf of Babcock as part of a rehabilitation image campaign.

“‘Obviously, there’s stuff with every coach that might go the wrong way or whatnot or might come off the wrong way, but he cares,’” Werenski says, quoting Hyman. “‘He’s emotional. He’s passionate. He’s going to push you, but he’s very fair and very honest, and you’re going to like playing for him.’” Babcock talks communication as Blue Jackets coach in Part 2 of NHL.com Q&A | NHL.com

Ultimately Babcock though is the maker of his own demise. A high risk, low tolerance hire imploded under its own weight. I like Kekalainen and what the small market Blue Jackets are building. Hope they can now move forward without further distraction.
Biz can be hard to take at times, not really my cup of tea, but he does seem to have the players interest at heart. Could it have been handled differently by the players, probably, but not really the time for victim shaming (and not suggesting you are doing that), as the key is that one more toxic element of the game has been removed.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'll take my lumps on this one. Can't stand Bissonette but still feel this created a poison well situation. Will still stand on my belief that everyone deserves due process and, through that, the facts will always carry the day to appropriate action. Players have significant tools to help them grieve including a real labour heavyweight running their union. This

Hard to believe only ten days ago a high character guy like Hyman was stumping on behalf of Babcock as part of a rehabilitation image campaign.

“‘Obviously, there’s stuff with every coach that might go the wrong way or whatnot or might come off the wrong way, but he cares,’” Werenski says, quoting Hyman. “‘He’s emotional. He’s passionate. He’s going to push you, but he’s very fair and very honest, and you’re going to like playing for him.’” Babcock talks communication as Blue Jackets coach in Part 2 of NHL.com Q&A | NHL.com

Ultimately Babcock though is the maker of his own demise. A high risk, low tolerance hire imploded under its own weight. I like Kekalainen and what the small market Blue Jackets are building. Hope they can now move forward without further distraction.

Summed up well here:

I am going to guess that Babcock loved Hyman. I suspect most coaches do. The guy just puts on his work boots and gives you his all.

Hyman comes from a privileged background and is now on his own a multi-millionaire, but he plays and carries himself like the common man and spends much of his time giving back. I would have been surprised if he was not charitable in his words for an old school coach like Babcock, as it seems perfectly consistent with his personality that he can see the best in everyone he encounters.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Biz can be hard to take at times, not really my cup of tea, but he does seem to have the players interest at heart. Could it have been handled differently by the players, probably, but not really the time for victim shaming (and not suggesting you are doing that), as the key is that one more toxic element of the game has been removed.
He's toxic Bro culture and I think serves his interests first. Credit he's built a major brand out of a marginal pro career. But I don't see him as an asset to TNT or mainstream broadcasting. Niche stuff lives better on the fringe with opt-in podcast stuff. He and Born Again Oilers fan Whitney.

Agree, this is not about shaming the victims. Said before this should be a signal to the NHLPA that they have work to do with their members to inform them of their rights, the process to bring forward concerns and grievances through the union, and this legal entity is there to fight their battles individually and collectively.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I am going to guess that Babcock loved Hyman. I suspect most coaches do. The guy just puts on his work boots and gives you his all.

Hyman comes from a privileged background and is now on his own a multi-millionaire, but he plays and carries himself like the common man and spends much of his time giving back. I would have been surprised if he was not charitable in his words for an old school coach like Babcock, as it seems perfectly consistent with his personality that he can see the best in everyone he encounters.
Agree with all your points. In context of the interview, Hyman reached out pro-actively to his old alumnus teammate to advocate for Babcock. It's just some of the grey area in terms of how Babcock is viewed. It was something he didn't have to do. Babcock was a big believer in Hyman's gritty, work boots game and nurtured a low level prospect into a diamond.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Fair question.

One of my primary questions through this. And one of the outcomes I felt and still do that the PA Association will have to review and consider.

Of course, the original question or premise is about how best to create maximum carnage to get Babcock fired? You feed anonymous information to two know Babcock haters.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Fair question.

Because the Spittin Chicklets podcast has Mike Commodore on from time to time to shit on Babcock…so this player thought “get a load of what Babcock is doing again Biz!”
(My speculation)
Based on the messages Biz showed us was more “this guy is pulling this shit again” with an eye roll as opposed “get this guy fired already”

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Maybe, just I think when Jenner and Gaudreau came out in defense of Babcock, most took the side of those players

Should be an interesting dynamic in the locker room
They weren’t the ones being abused, so their statements were just crap that the team and league put out to try to bury the story. It’s the younger kids that get preyed on. Would imagine that Sillinger has some interesting pics on his phone. ;)

Reactions: Stoneman89

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Looks like the ‘primary’ information was wrong.
Do we have all the details yet? he quit. For all I know he quit because he underestimated the bs involved in being manager or coach of anything in present day. I'd tap out too. Frankly theres next to no way for a coach the style of Babcock to coach much in present day.

I'd like to hear more details but you know we won't

Reactions: harpoon

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Read some of the many posts before, especially by one particular poster.

Apparently not.:laugh:
Meh. I’ll stand by the post. If you think Biz is a credible individual we’ll agree to disagree. The fact that he was able to use his platform (ironically a platform built on everything that is so called ‘toxic’ about the ‘hockey bro culture’) to stir up a tempest in a teapot is irrelevant to his credibility.

Like I said in my first post on this topic, guys like Babcock can’t continue in snowflake world. In snowflake world the loudest voice always wins. Again, ironically, those voices can be saying the most despicable things ‘bend you over, no lube .. etc, so long as they appear to be on the ‘correct’ side of the issue currently under discussion.

Babcock was stupid to take the job given his track record. CBJ was stupid to offer him the job. I feel very sorry for guys like Gaudreau and Jenner who now have to lead that locker room.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Meh. I’ll stand by the post. If you think Biz is a credible individual we’ll agree to disagree. The fact that he was able to use his platform (ironically a platform built on everything that is so called ‘toxic’ about the ‘hockey bro culture’) to stir up a tempest in a teapot is irrelevant to his credibility.

Like I said in my first post on this topic, guys like Babcock can’t continue in snowflake world. In snowflake world the loudest voice always wins. Again, ironically, those voices can be saying the most despicable things ‘bend you over, no lube .. etc, so long as they appear to be on the ‘correct’ side of the issue currently under discussion.

Babcock was stupid to take the job given his track record. CBJ was stupid to offer him the job. I feel very sorry for guys like Gaudreau and Jenner who now have to lead that locker room.
Amen. Thats been my point too. With babcock what happened is behind closed doors. With Biz Nasty its right out in the open with him saying incredibly unprofessional things. But somehow thats OK.

Well stated.

The trouble as well is the leadership of the team now has to suffer the confusion and wasted season of a new coach coming in, new schemes, nobody knows what is going on, and the team will be utterly unprepared, again, to take on the season. The vets as well will know the sabatoge was potentially from within, and from players that haven't even proved their merit yet.

Feel sorry for the fans too.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'll take the L. Bissonette was right. Thought he was once again doing his over the top schtick.

Gaudreau leading any locker room should make the guys in it sorry.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
What “abuse” are you talking about? I thought he was looking at their phones?
Abuse in present day needs only the qualifier "I feel like I could be potentially harmed by that" is enough.

I'd be fine with somebody smashing my smartphone with a hammer and throwing gas on it and setting it on fire. But thats another topic...;)

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
With babcock what happened is behind closed doors
Lot of very bad things happen behind closed doors. I suppose some folks here will take my posts as being somehow supportive of Babcock or his behavior. To be clear, I’m not shedding a single tear over his fate. He brought it on himself by not learning from past situations.

Props to the posters who took the L and didn’t double down on being wrong. ;)
Props to those who don’t act like they know what actually happened cause they read a few tweets. ;)

Reactions: RegDunlop
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad