GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 "Off Season??!! What off season??!!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Lot of very bad things happen behind closed doors. I suppose some folks here will take my posts as being somehow supportive of Babcock or his behavior. To be clear, I’m not shedding a single tear over his fate. He brought it on himself by not learning from past situations.
Nobody is absolving Babcock. I'm not. I've been critical of him before. But Biz Nasty is embarassing to TNT, shouldn't be even connected with the staff there.

CBJ shouldn't have hired Babcock, a gamble. But those gambles occur from time to time and sometimes pay off. Babcock would have a lot of trouble changing spots at present age.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
This Biz-Babcock stuff is truly a douchecanoe vs. turd sandwich situation. They both are horrible. I just want facts to come out as defending either of these idiots is awful (ask anyone who played or worked U of S while Babs was there

andddddddddd he’s gone. Imagine sticking up for Babcock in this situation? Good lord.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I always kind of had a dislike for Babcock, mostly because he was employed by the Leafs likely. But the way of the world now is to be cancelled/fired etc. then proven guilty. He may very well be guilty of something, but the point is that entities always err on the side of the grievance now out of an abundance of caution for the court of public opinion.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I always kind of had a dislike for Babcock, mostly because he was employed by the Leafs likely. But the way of the world now is to be cancelled/fired etc. then proven guilty. He may very well be guilty of something, but the point is that entities always err on the side of the grievance now out of an abundance of caution for the court of public opinion.
Probably why he resigned and said “to hell with it”

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Probably why he resigned and said “to hell with it”
Pretty much what I think occurred. Wasn't worth the bs. Not all managerial level jobs are now. With Babcock it was as John Shannon stated, he would have to be perfect, make no mistakes, and he's not that kind of individual either.
You’d think he would be able to keep his nose clean to at least make it to a damn preseason game. What an idiot.

Reactions: bellagiobob

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
more like "disrespectful of one's privacy"
I maintain this was blown out of proportion
Possibly was. But if a guy who has been out of the league for a while and has been known to not be the best to his players STARTS his time as a coach again like this?
It’s definitely a “here we go again” with him.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Possibly was. But if a guy who has been out of the league for a while and has been known to not be the best to his players STARTS his time as a coach again like this?
It’s definitely a “here we go again” with him.
Sure but their captain and best player came to the defense of that coach

Again, Babcock is radiation and shouldn’t have been hired, but what he did is being massively overblown IMO

Reactions: Yuke and Drivesaitl

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Again, Babcock is radiation and shouldn’t have been hired, but what he did is being massively overblown IMO
Babcock has historically treated vets and young players very differently.

It’s not at all uncommon for a few people to have no issues with a person but many others to have entirely different experiences.

Blown out of mind proportion possibly, but nothing ever is taken in isolation. Although with how much they investigated and how apparently the last few days were how to handle his departure, definitely seems like there may be more there than we are hearing.

It’s the NHL, they do a lot to protect shitty behaviour.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Dunno, I’d be pretty pissed if my boss spent a minutes looking thru my phone. Sounds like the vets got the ‘show me some family pics’ while one or more young players had to hand over their phones for Babs to puruse.

Reactions: TB12

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Dunno, I’d be pretty pissed if my boss spent a minutes looking thru my phone. Sounds like the vets got the ‘show me some family pics’ while one or more young players had to hand over their phones for Babs to puruse.

“Several minutes”..what does that mean? 2 mins? 10 mins?
Did Babcock demand to see his phone or did the player give it to him willingly?
Still many questions and not all the facts

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We will never know all the facts. What we do know is it was at bare minimum inappropriate, the NHLPA and the league which normally tries to sweep everything under the rug and do shit all were digging deep into it and they spent 1-2 days on how to handle his departure kind of tells us the following.
There was enough there that he could no longer work for the team and they let him step down rather than firing him.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
He would still be working today if the player said, hey coach, here's my phone, take a look thru it. The number of minutes doesn't really matter, it's just inappropriate and creepy. The way the league likes to cover up issues, and not get involved unless it's really bad, we can be pretty sure that he must of done something that was beyond what was normal for a coach to do.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
What kind of maroon would hand over their cellphone except if they were going to jail? This isn't Russia or North Korea. I have hard time imaging anybody being dense enough to comply if that was the ask. In anycase Some source calliing itself "NHL news" appears to not be actual NHL sanctioned release. Its some doofus source called "puckpedia" f***ing twitter or X. Anybody can call themselves anything. I should call myself the CIA. whoops, bomb dropped on house, arrrggghhh!

:)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
He would still be working today if the player said, hey coach, here's my phone, take a look thru it. The number of minutes doesn't really matter, it's just inappropriate and creepy. The way the league likes to cover up issues, and not get involved unless it's really bad, we can be pretty sure that he must of done something that was beyond what was normal for a coach to do.
He'd still be working today if some person with an ace to grind wasn't firebombing this and was going to f*** him without lube and sandpaper finish.

Lets not pretend either that Biz Nasty just has the players best interests at heart. Should I give the 100 citations where Bissonette or Ryan Whitney have mocked the shit out of other players active or otherwise?

Others, particularly @BlackMcDog have commented on the realities of present day work life. If some source comes at you hard enough it doesn't matter much what occurred. What matters in that is that damage control occurs but perhaps ironically by an org that hired Babcock in the first place, and a league that allowed that.

As somebody else mentioned Babcock was radioactive at this point lol, it wasn't going to take much being reported on this.

In a different day and age this unfolds differently. But not in 2023 it appears.

I still think all parties called it a day and its like this shit is too much. You can call that a coverup, this isn't watergate here,

Deep throat;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The last 48 hours before the statement was released were spent 'negotiating his exit'. Need to read between the lines a bit. Gave him the saving face option and likely a bit of a payday to go away.
Thats one take. Another could be that an exit is "negotiated" because all parties realize that outright firing is without demonstrable just cause. Not that either of us are Lawyers here.

No doubt Babcock ends up leaving with a golden parachute, nice retirement, doesn't have to work another day, and all in exchange for shutting his yap. The latter should be difficult. ;)

We won't hear anything about any settlement either.

But my take is that Babcock is getting the placation vacation.

Reactions: BlackDogg

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
He'd still be working today if some person with an ace to grind wasn't firebombing this and was going to f*** him without lube and sandpaper finish.

Lets not pretend either that Biz Nasty just has the players best interests at heart. Should I give the 100 citations where Bissonette or Ryan Whitney have mocked the shit out of other players active or otherwise?

Others, particularly @BlackMcDog have commented on the realities of present day work life. If some source comes at you hard enough it doesn't matter much what occurred. What matters in that is that damage control occurs but perhaps ironically by an org that hired Babcock in the first place, and a league that allowed that.

As somebody else mentioned Babcock was radioactive at this point lol, it wasn't going to take much being reported on this.

In a different day and age this unfolds differently. But not in 2023 it appears.

I still think all parties called it a day and its like this shit is too much. You can call that a coverup, this isn't watergate here,

Deep throat;)
Incidentally this is becoming the norm. I know someone who recently was fired from a school division for sharing a meme on Facebook. Something you could literally do by accident if you were distracted.

I'm not going to back babcock up necessarily, but it does happen now all too often. It's nice that they gave him the choice to retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad