Around the League - 2022-23 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I’m glad Montreal, Arizona didn’t get Bedard. Montreal for obvious reasons, but screw Arizona. A pathetic excuse for a sports franchise doesn’t deserve a generational talent like Bedard. imagine one of the best prospects we’ve seen since McDavid wasting away on a team that plays out of a university arena.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Of course Chicago wins Bedard.
Biggest dynasty of the cap era comes to an end and they get gifted the next generational player.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Chicago won 3 Cups and Anaheim won in 2007.
I was hoping someone new would get the chance like Columbus.
I’m tired of the same teams, like Edmonton having Gretzky/Messier and then McDavid. Pittsburgh having Lemieux/Jagr and getting Crosby/Malkin. Someone new.

If we want to play a little historical timeline here and benchmark the Leafs window to historical teams, we are 7 years into the Matthews era post 2016 draft.

The Edmonton Oilers entered the league in 1979-80. It would already be 1986 and they would be in their failed season to threepeat.

Mario Lemieux was drafted in 1984, so 7 years out would be 1991, their first cup run.

Sidney Crosby was drafted in 2005, and it would already be 2012, where they went to a cup finals and won a cup in 2008 and 2009.

The Kane and Toews Hawks started in 2007-08 after the Kane draft. It would be 2014 already and they would have already won 2 of their 3 cups with one more to come next year by Year 7.

The Stamkos Hedman project in Tampa teamed up in 2009-10 second year of Stamkos and rookie year for Hedman. It would already be 2016. They have no cups at this point but they would have gone to the finals the year before and Vasi, Kucherov, Point, Palat would all be pushing up through the farm system.

Drew Doughty’s Kings started in 2008-09 with some pieces like Kopitar and Quick already in place. It would be 2015 and the Kings would already be in decline, post championship era by Year 7 of Doughty.

If the Matthews and Marner era measured up to these kind of teams, we would have seen something special happen by now. It doesn’t have to be multiple cups but encouraging signs of growth, deep runs. Playoff maturity would be a minimum.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If we want to play a little historical timeline here and benchmark the Leafs window to historical teams, we are 7 years into the Matthews era post 2016 draft.

The Edmonton Oilers entered the league in 1979-80. It would already be 1986 and they would be in their failed season to threepeat.

Mario Lemieux was drafted in 1984, so 7 years out would be 1991, their first cup run.

Sidney Crosby was drafted in 2005, and it would already be 2012, where they went to a cup finals and won a cup in 2008 and 2009.

The Kane and Toews Hawks started in 2007-08 after the Kane draft. It would be 2014 already and they would have already won 2 of their 3 cups with one more to come next year by Year 7.

The Stamkos Hedman project in Tampa teamed up in 2009-10 second year of Stamkos and rookie year for Hedman. It would already be 2016. They have no cups at this point but they would have gone to the finals the year before and Vasi, Kucherov, Point, Palat would all be pushing up through the farm system.

Drew Doughty’s Kings started in 2008-09 with some pieces like Kopitar and Quick already in place. It would be 2015 and the Kings would already be in decline, post championship era by Year 7 of Doughty.

If the Matthews and Marner era measured up to these kind of teams, we would have seen something special happen by now. It doesn’t have to be multiple cups but encouraging signs of growth, deep runs. Playoff maturity would be a minimum.
But what if they are the Yzerman and Fedorov, Sakic and Forsberg, Modano and Hatcher or Ovie and Backstorm. They took longer.
Or they could be the Hull and Oates, Thornton and Marleau, Spezza and Alfie, Sedins twin, or Benn and Seguin.

Reactions: 3blizzard4

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
But what if they are the Yzerman and Fedorov, Sakic and Forsberg, Modano and Hatcher or Ovie and Backstorm. They took longer.
Or they could be the Hull and Oates, Thornton and Marleau, Spezza and Alfie, Sedins twin, or Benn and Seguin.

Well I think modifying the core means making sure we can course correct to be Sakic and Forsberg and not Alfredsson, Spezza and Heatley or Thornton and Marleau.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
im kinda on the fence about bedard going to the hawks. part of me is okay with it just because not one other team. not named the leafs got screwed over more then the hawks during the cap crunch and restrictions of 8+ year contracts. we lost our chance to lock up the core by a year or 2 with those cap circumventing contracts.

they lost big asetts like sharp, big buff ladd saad shaw paranin

but at the same time im just happy the habs dropped to 5th

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Well I think modifying the core means making sure we can course correct to be Sakic and Forsberg and not Alfredsson, Spezza and Heatley or Thornton and Marleau.
That’s the thing, beside JT, I really don’t know who to touch in the core. To me, Willie is not part of the core to due his AVV mainly bc at 7 mil, you won’t get someone better than Willie. Could get a different type of player like Wilson. But it will be more one in and one out.
You move JT, it will most likely be one out and two good players coming back in.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
im kinda on the fence about bedard going to the hawks. part of me is okay with it just because not one other team. not named the leafs got screwed over more then the hawks during the cap crunch and restrictions of 8+ year contracts. we lost our chance to lock up the core by a year or 2 with those cap circumventing contracts.

they lost big asetts like sharp, big buff ladd saad shaw paranin

but at the same time im just happy the habs dropped to 5th

I would love the Leafs to be screwed if they could win 3 Cups with the core.

Reactions: Buds17 and HolyCrap

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Sakic won a cup in his 8th season, 2nd year of Forsberg's career. Fedorov yr 7. Will give you the rest.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Sakic won a cup in his 8th season, 2nd year of Forsberg's career. Fedorov yr 7. Will give you the rest.
Well, Yzerman didn’t do it till much later when Federov came in. Sakic’s original core was Nolan and Sundin and both were gone before.

Point is, I really hope our boys can win it for us instead of getting close.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Year 4, Yzerman must have been in 3rd. round of playoffs?

But yes, he needed help and Scotty.

1683664384230.png

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
If I'm Bedard I like that i'm in a big market but the Hawks have like absolutely nothing there to help his development or other top forward prospects. Those cupboards are the definition of bare. And Chicago will be just as bad next year even with Bedard. I wouldn't pick him as my Calder winner next year.

How often have we seen great prospects become busts because they are on an island and keep losing every year.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
The Hawks had probably the most blatant tank job of any team in recent memory. And it absolutely paid off

Going to get real awkward for the league when the bottom ten teams start to get even more aggressive in their efforts to get worse.
I don't see how you can come to that conclusion.

A team led by MacKenzie Entwistle and Colin Blackwell seems perfectly acceptable in a league where games are played in a college arena.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Go Devils, good start.
The games in this series are better when the Canes are trailing. Seem to have a better flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad