Around The League 2018-19 Offseason edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
They're going to have to shuffle some deck chairs over there in LA, regardless of the Doughty extension.

Those waters got even muddier with the Phaneuf acquisition. They have Forbort (who played 22+ minutes a night with Doughty down the stretch), Phaneuf, Muzzin, Martinez on the left side. Doughty, LaDue, and Folin on the right side. Clague will be up either this year or next.

Something's gotta give.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Also on the Doughty extension, I expect that announcement to be the final nail in the coffin re: Karlsson in Ottawa.

Take whatever Doughty gets, and add a million bucks or so. That's what Karlsson will cost, and I just don't see Melnyk paying that.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And then they signed he who shall not be named last week.

Blake added Phaneuf and I’m not sure why. It seems he’s carrying on the Lombardi tradition of bringing in another old and slow defenseman every year. And this one wasn’t even a short term one. It seems as though they love having an old and slow team and they want to horde and cling to all these guys they won cups with, so I expect Muzzin to be kept around unless they really need to purge him. I expect them to keep these guys on display as skeletons over there. They’re lucky they got a really good season out of Dustin Brown. I don’t think that’ll be repeated.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
They're going to have to shuffle some deck chairs over there in LA, regardless of the Doughty extension.

Those waters got even muddier with the Phaneuf acquisition. They have Forbort (who played 22+ minutes a night with Doughty down the stretch), Phaneuf, Muzzin, Martinez on the left side. Doughty, LaDue, and Folin on the right side. Clague will be up either this year or next.

Something's gotta give.
I thought so too, but apparently Martinez and muzzin can also play right (where I thought they were light)

Their fanbase seemed more willing to part with Martinez over muzzin

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
wow another one bites the dust. nhl getting that parity they want and guys staying with their original teams it seems for the most part. as long as that team is a contender. hopefully hall stays in two years we are trending in the right direction

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Tampa sports outlets are saying the final 3 for Tavares are Sharks, Lightning and Isles.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Jumping back on a topic from earlier, I would love to bring in Pavelski if Tavares ends up in SJ. They sign him, bring back Jumbo and extending Couture, he could be had for very little with 1 year left on his current deal.

Wishful thinking I'm sure, always been a fan of his, but we could certainly do worse on long term deals in FA than bringing in Pavelski for 1 year.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
They had all of last offseason to discuss an extension and if they didn’t do that shame on NYI. If they did and JT said “I’ll see” them shame on them as well. If a player is going to extend after the team steps up with a commitment I’d expect it to be early in the process. The Stamkos experience is the exception not the rule in my view.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
If JT is off to TB, I hope Ray is the first in line to take advantage of the cap hell they will be in...

It's not surprising that you haven't heard much from the Devils camp. This is how Shero operates. He's done this with Kyle Palmieri, MoJo, and to a lesser extent Hall. He waits around to see what teams have players they need to move for cap/"personal" reasons and takes advantage of it. He's waiting for the dust to settle on the FA signing period to determine where he should strike.

I'm liking it

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Something's gotta give.

They also signed top NCAA free agent LHD Daniel Brickley who'll get a chance to make the roster. Seemed like a persistent rumor last year that they were shopping Muzzin/Martinez for scoring help.

Blake added Phaneuf and I’m not sure why. It seems he’s carrying on the Lombardi tradition of bringing in another old and slow defenseman every year. And this one wasn’t even a short term one.

I think they simply just thought Phaneuf (at 5.25 mil) provided some theoretical value, while Gaborik (at 4.875 mil) was toast.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They also signed top NCAA free agent LHD Daniel Brickley who'll get a chance to make the roster. Seemed like a persistent rumor last year that they were shopping Muzzin/Martinez for scoring help.

I think they simply just thought Phaneuf (at 5.25 mil) provided some theoretical value, while Gaborik (at 4.875 mil) was toast.
I forgot they traded Gaborik for him actually.

Another really stupid Dean Lombardi ''Let's keep the cup team around until they become grandpa's!'' contract. ''I can get him for a cheap cap hit if I sign him for 7 years!''.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
Really enjoyed the Evander Kane article in the Players Tribune. Not sure if I can post it on here but recommend reading it. Really feels like that was an opportunity lost but oh well good luck to him in SJ

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Jumping back on a topic from earlier, I would love to bring in Pavelski if Tavares ends up in SJ. They sign him, bring back Jumbo and extending Couture, he could be had for very little with 1 year left on his current deal.

Wishful thinking I'm sure, always been a fan of his, but we could certainly do worse on long term deals in FA than bringing in Pavelski for 1 year.
I'd like Pavelski here, as long as it's cheap.

However, I'm hesitant to give him a long term deal after this. I'd be scared of giving him 3 years, unless it's at a very reduced cap hit.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Really enjoyed the Evander Kane article in the Players Tribune. Not sure if I can post it on here but recommend reading it. Really feels like that was an opportunity lost but oh well good luck to him in SJ
He would have been pretty cool to have here, but do you want him for 7 years @ $7 million per? I mean, it is possible this was just Doug Wilson overpaying to overpay, he did it to Jones and Vlasic in the last year, he'll probably do it to Couture. He kind of did it to Burns, but I understand Burns more than the others. The term on Burns is definitely one year too long. Probably more than one year too long, but he probably wasn't gonna take a 5-6 year deal when he was less than 6 months to free agency.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't really like Martinez, by the way. Reminds me of a little better John Moore. I get Brent Seabrook vibes with him, but I don't think his contract (which I admit I don't really know much about what his contract is like) is as bad as Seabrook's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad