Around the League 2018-19 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The odds of Ovechkin passing Gretzky are probably against him.

But adjusted for era's, there's a pretty good argument that Ovechkin is already closing in on being the greatest goal scorer of all time. I'd rank him as a better goal scorer than Gretzky already.

Not a better player than Gretzky, but certainly the better goal scorer. Probably even by quite a bit.

Reactions: Take Notes

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He can say whatever he wants, but that child is a wealthy American and will be more than aware of such by the age of 7.

You do not pluck a child out of the US (especially an area with the educational opportunities DC has) and raise them in Moscow unless Putin himself has already named you his successor.
I can't fault the guy for making the choice to choose to live wherever he wants. I do think life in Russia is probably much better for a guy like Ovechkin and his family, than it would be for almost anybody.

Ovechkin is royalty over in Russia. I made friends with a Russian kid I worked with over the summer. He was here on a summer work program. He wasn't a huge hockey fan, but he did know all of the popular current hockey players from Russia. Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, Kovalchuk. I remember how his face lit up when I'd ask him about Russian players, because he was almost surprised I knew all of them and I would do the same when I found out how many of the players he knew. He was only 19, so he's a bit too young to remember Fedorov or Mogilny and he's not a huge fan of the sport. He knew how popular Ovechkin was over there. He's a national hero over there.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's possible Kuch's numbers will be SO good they have to give him the Hart. Then again Kane's really surging too and dragging a mediocre Hawks team into the playoff chase. It basically has to be between those two at this point.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Does he get the Hart this year? Or do they give it to someone a little more under the radar, that's on a less stacked team? Like a guy like Sebastian Aho if the Canes made the playoffs?

He almost HAS to get it. Dudes been on a historic tear all year.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
ovi can definitely break gretzky’s record, i wouldn’t put it past him. he could still be putting up 20 goal seasons when he’s 40.

the russia stuff is all speculative

Reactions: guitarguyvic

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Kuch is far and away the Hart winner. Kane is making a nice case aka Hall last year, but he could very well score 125+ and that is hard to ignore. Dude is an absolute machine.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Kuch is far and away the Hart winner. Kane is making a nice case aka Hall last year, but he could very well score 125+ and that is hard to ignore. Dude is an absolute machine.

i don’t think he has it locked up actually...tb is stacked. that’s not kucherov’s fault, but that’s not really what the hart is for

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Duchene to Columbus
= Columbus likely to hold on to Panarin to make a deep run
= the market for MoJo just got better

Definitely, reports are that Duchene is a pure rental and this deal wasn’t predicated on an extension being in place already.

Columbus is going for it, that’s great news for us, Duchene & Panarin are now off the market meaning outside of Stone there’s no other big fish forwards available.

Guys like Johansson, Dzingel & Nyquist could fetch a premium now, there’s only one Mark Stone to go around and you have to imagine the Jets, Sharks, Predator & Penguins are all believe they’re good enough to challenge for the cup. I wouldn’t be surprised if other fringe teams like the Islanders, Stars, Golden Knights and Blackhawks are buyers too, the west is absolutely wide open for anyone to win.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
do we want a middle 6 "now player", decent picks, or good prospects? what do we think the return will be?

i think if mojo got us some good prospects, i'd be happy. i don't expect a roster player

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I don't understand this from the Columbus point of view. They spend assets to get Duchene signaling they plan on making a run for it whilst keeping Panarin and Bob... They won't win the cup. They just simply are not as good as Tampa, Winnipeg, Nashville, and others... All three will walk for nothing on July 1st.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I don't understand this from the Columbus point of view. They spend assets to get Duchene signaling they plan on making a run for it whilst keeping Panarin and Bob... They won't win the cup. They just simply are not as good as Tampa, Winnipeg, Nashville, and others... All three will walk for nothing on July 1st.
prove a point they can be competitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad