Around the League 2018-19 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Coyle has been pretty mediocre lately, but I don't rate Donato at all.

I'd definitely rather have Coyle & Niederreiter than Rask, Donato & a 5th round pick, not really sure what Fenton is trying to accomplish there.

Reactions: R8NJ

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
Coyle really isn’t that great. Donato should be a solid player. A higher pick would have helped balanced it out a bit but this isn’t a lopsided trade at all. Not nearly as bad as the Niederreiter debacle

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Hello Everyone. My first post in this thread is based on an observation. I’m suprised that the Lightning are getting more attention. They are destroying the league right now. They are currently on pace to have over a 130 point season. They have a shot to break the record for most wins/points. I know that has little relevance when winning the cup.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Tampa is very much like the pre-Cup Caps to me. They have fantastic regular seasons, yet come up short in the playoffs. Although they have at least been to a Cup Final with most this core, which is more than the Caps did prior to last season. They really have no excuse to not win the Cup this year.

Camille the Eel

Hello Everyone. My first post in this thread is based on an observation. I’m suprised that the Lightning are getting more attention. They are destroying the league right now. They are currently on pace to have over a 130 point season. They have a shot to break the record for most wins/points. I know that has little relevance when winning the cup.
The fact that Tampa has been dominant before, only to get beaten up in the playoffs - to the finals one year but slugged by heavier clubs in earlier rounds in maybe 2 other seasons - may be why people are remaining skeptical.

Vasilevsky has been magnificent for them in several recent games, where the pattern is they explode to a two or 3 goal lead but then do little except let the goalie stop the other club’s push back.

Plus Tampa’s secondary scoring has dried up a lot since the New Year. Lately it’s been Stamkos, Kucherov or Pointe running wild. But practically no one else has more than 3 or 4 goals over recent weeks.

Camille the Eel

As to Coyle gong to Boston for Donato, a good deal for both teams. Coyle is just what the Bruins' need at center to try to get their third line going and with it Jake Debrusk who has not been producing.

Boston has been desperate to get scoring beyond their first line. They moved Pasternak to the second line with Krejci a few games back (maybe they are still doing it but I haven't paid attention for the last couple games since they were playing late out west) trying to get some balance. This move is along the same lines and they may not be through yet. If they were, for example, to add a guy like Stone, they might actually contend for a deep cup run.

Because up to now, if the power play doesn't score or the first line doesn't do it, they are awfully weak offensively.

Meanwhile, I think Donato looks like a kid who can develop. He had creativity, the knack for rising to the moment, last spring, but didn't seem to get much of a chance since then.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I think Donato is going to be a great player, plus he has serious heart, which cannot be taught. I think in a few years people will come to believe Boston lost that trade for sure.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don’t understand the Silfverberg extension.

That has to mean the writing’s on the wall for Rico, right?

In terms of what? He just signed a long-term extension, I don't think they could send him anywhere in the midst of a poor season even if they wanted to.

Camille the Eel

I think Donato is going to be a great player, plus he has serious heart, which cannot be taught. I think in a few years people will come to believe Boston lost that trade for sure.
Just also got reminded that Pasternak is out with a hand injury and Debrusk is playing with Krejci and on a hot streak with Krejci feeding him.

Also that Coyle is a hometown Boston guy, from Weymouth and played for B.U. Over a fairly long career Coyle has put up a lot of points at about a 35 to 40 point a year pace but not so much lately. He can help their bottom 6, and they like to play a physically heavy game anyway as a team. (Speed and hitting as opposed to our speed and little contact).

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
The fact that Tampa has been dominant before, only to get beaten up in the playoffs - to the finals one year but slugged by heavier clubs in earlier rounds in maybe 2 other seasons - may be why people are remaining skeptical.

Vasilevsky has been magnificent for them in several recent games, where the pattern is they explode to a two or 3 goal lead but then do little except let the goalie stop the other club’s push back.

Plus Tampa’s secondary scoring has dried up a lot since the New Year. Lately it’s been Stamkos, Kucherov or Pointe running wild. But practically no one else has more than 3 or 4 goals over recent weeks.

I am strictly talking regular season. As they stand now it might go down as the best regular season ever. They are 20pts ahead of the next team. They are on pace for over 130pts. Even if they don’t break the record, the fact that they haven’t had a lull is crazy. The big three are all in the top 8, top 10 goalie. It’s wild.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County

17.png

How is a house on the market for $18 million assessed for $6 million? Seems like a considerable disparity. In the grand scheme of things, $44,000 ptax is nothing for that house.

Reactions: MartyOwns

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
if thats the case .. I would just try and re sign him.. a third second round pick doesn't really interest me. for MOJO.. first or bust

on a team that could possibly finish last? i dont think we are in the position to be throwing away pieces that build upon

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
haven't paid too much attention to the stats. i knew ovie was having a great year but damn 42 goals?!?!?! hes 245 shy of wayne. i've said for years he was a threat for his number. anyone else starting to think that?

Reactions: johnny pierogi

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
haven't paid too much attention to the stats. i knew ovie was having a great year but damn 42 goals?!?!?! hes 245 shy of wayne. i've said for years he was a threat for his number. anyone else starting to think that?

I dont. He'll be 34 next season, the drop-off will come in a few years.

Unless you expect him to stay in great shape and great health, and hang-around forever like Jaromir Jagr, and I dont see Ovie wanting that life. lol

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad