Around the League 2018-19 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I think OTT did well here

Highly doubt Duchene signs with CBJ but OTT had to at least float the possibility in trade

Last edited:
Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I don't understand this from the Columbus point of view. They spend assets to get Duchene signaling they plan on making a run for it whilst keeping Panarin and Bob... They won't win the cup. They just simply are not as good as Tampa, Winnipeg, Nashville, and others... All three will walk for nothing on July 1st.

The playoffs are impossible to predict, adequately replacing Panarin/Bobrovsky is a nearly impossible task and they already know they’re not sticking around, so I don’t blame them for rolling the dice and going for it one last time with their current core.

Bobrovsky at his best can steal games by himself, they’re deep down the middle with Duchene, Dubois, Wennberg & Dubinsky; Atkinson & Panarin are lighting it up on the wings and their blue line is no joke either, Werenski, Jones, Savard & Murray is a solid group, better than what Toronto has imo.

They can absolutely hang with Toronto, Boston, Pittsburgh & Tampa, even if they’re not the favourite.

Reactions: My3Sons

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

This is great for the Devils...not only does Columbus go from a potential seller with the most sought after player on the rental market, but they're apparently loading up which should help drive up values. I know Panarin is likely a long shot to sign with NJ this offseason, but him staying in Columbus should only help in that area as well.

Reactions: Bet the Over

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Ottawa got a good deal, but an implicit “clause” of the trade is that the Duchene acquisition likely pushes Columbus to go for it. It is now more likely that they’ll use Panarin as an own-rental and pull him off the market.

If that’s the case, Stone is the last big fish standing. His value would skyrocket.

Weird to say, but this was a smart move by Dorion.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
if columbus doesn’t win the cup (narrator: and they won’t) AND panarin/bob/duchene walk this summer...egads

Reactions: Darkauron

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Best thing that could’ve happened for the Devils.

Panarin off the market. Drives up values for everyone else.

Columbus sold their future for today. Even if they get a deep run out of it, they’ll likely be mediocre for years afterwards. Their defense is solid but I don’t see where they are going to find elite offensive talent up front if they don’t keep Panarin/Duchene.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Really DUMB trade by Columbus, mortgaging a chunk of their future on a team that with or without Duchene is not going to win the cup this year.

Eh...Columbus has been in the league for almost 20 years now and they're the only NHL team to never win a playoff series. It's a 4-team race between Pittsburgh, Columbus, Montreal and Carolina for the final 3 spots in the East, and you have to figure Pittsburgh and Columbus are the best bets to get the 3/4 seeds in the Metro where they have as good of a chance as winning as the Isles or Caps.

No reason to think the Blue Jackets with Duchene and maybe others can't win the Metro. Whoever comes out of the Atlantic would certainly be favored in the East Finals, but at that point who knows where things stand with injuries and Tampa/Boston/Toronto kicking the crap out of each other.

Duchene could certainly resign. Panarin and Bobrosky likely leave, but that's not a guarantee and Columbus can try to be aggressive with other UFA's to mitigate some of the loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad