Around the League 2018-19 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
People really need to stop using Boyle as some sort of barometer for the rest of these trades involving forwards. Not just here; I see it all over the trade board, too.

Completely different commodities, acquired to play completely different roles... the price of Boyle has absolutely nothing to do with the price of Zuccarello, Johansson, etc...

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
People really need to stop using Boyle as some sort of barometer for the rest of these trades involving forwards. Not just here; I see it all over the trade board, too.

Completely different commodities, acquired to play completely different roles... the price of Boyle has absolutely nothing to do with the price of Zuccarello, Johansson, etc...

Zucc and Johansson are similar type players though, with Zucc being a little better of a scoring winger. So it makes sense people think Johansson will get back less (though I'd be happy with a 2 and a lower pick). Boyle and other guys like defensemen and centers, I agree there's no comparison but similar role players to each other are going to get compared. Just like Lovejoy should be compared only with other stay-at-home defensemen that get moved.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Zucc and Johansson are similar type players though, with Zucc being a little better of a scoring winger. So it makes sense people think Johansson will get back less. Boyle and other guys like defensemen and centers, I agree there's no comparison but similar role players are going to get compared.

Of course they are; that's why I grouped them together.

My issue is with those that say "Boyle got a 2nd, how the hell did Zucc only get 2nd + 3rd" or "Friggin Boyle got a 2nd.. Nyquist will easily get a 1st+" - which I've seen all over these boards. It's faulty logic.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Would anyone here entertain EDM's package of Lucic with Puljujarvi?

I don't really think I'd do it, but I'd consider it if it didn't cost much just because we need another solid RW. If Puljujarvi could develop it would make it worth it, but that's a big if.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

I don't really think I'd do it, but I'd consider it if it didn't cost much just because we need another solid RW. If Puljujarvi could develop it would make it worth it, but that's a big if.
Lucic has 4 years left at $6 million AAV. I don't think I would do that deal even if we gave nothing up in return.

Reactions: Darkauron and R8NJ

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015

If they add this year first then I would consider it.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Lucic has 4 years left at $6 million AAV. I don't think I would do that deal even if we gave nothing up in return.
yeah I would want a young player that's more established than Puljujarvi. If Puljujarvi doesn't turn around that means all you get from that deal is Lucic's contract with a NMC(so the Devils might have to protect him in the expansion draft if he doesn't waive it). too big of a risk for Puljujarvi imo. If the Devils were in year 1 of rebuilding yeah maybe I'd go for it, but not with this UFA class, Hall's extension, Nico/Bratt's contracts etc.

The only team that I think should take a deal like that is Ottawa because they can take some big money players because they are trading all of theirs sans Ryan away

Reactions: My3Sons

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
yeah I would want a young player that's more established than Puljujarvi. If Puljujarvi doesn't turn around that means all you get from that deal is Lucic's contract with a NMC(so the Devils might have to protect him in the expansion draft if he doesn't waive it). too big of a risk for Puljujarvi imo. If the Devils were in year 1 of rebuilding yeah maybe I'd go for it, but not with this UFA class, Hall's extension, Nico/Bratt's contracts etc.

The only team that I think should take a deal like that is Ottawa because they can take some big money players because they are trading all of theirs sans Ryan away
If he had 2 years left, I probably do it as the risk is much lower on a 2 year deal. Hell no to that cap hit until he's 34 for only Puljujarvi.

Reactions: Darkauron and R8NJ

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Pulju is a bust

Last edited:

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ

Ah good point. Didn't realize they gave him a NMC. f*** that.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Puljujarvi isn't a sure enough thing to justify eating Lucic's contract at full value. He nose-dived from ~50 point annual production to just 10 goals and 34 points in 82 games last year, and only has 5 goals and 16 points in 61 games this year. Plays like 13 minutes a game.

That contract is and has been ugly, but we have yet to see the ugliest. It's going to be really bad, and I want no part of it.

Reactions: Bleedred

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
That's some really bad luck on Dallas' part... holy cow.

I mean, they're fully invested, right? I don't think they can pull out of being all-in.

It's a shame they sunk all of their picks into Zuccarello. Otherwise, I'd say they're ripe for a fleecing, and I'd offer up Johansson.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
That's some really bad luck on Dallas' part... holy cow.

I mean, they're fully invested, right? I don't think they can pull out of being all-in.

It's a shame they sunk all of their picks into Zuccarello. Otherwise, I'd say they're ripe for a fleecing, and I'd offer up Johansson.
What sucks is Dallas already traded a 2nd and 2 3rds. What other assets do they have to trade to get a good player? They are tapped out.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
For all that's gone wrong in Ottawa they should still be able to rebuild pretty well with the assets they have/going to get.
2 first rounds picks in 2018
Should have at least 2 first rounders in 2019.
Should have at least 2 first rounders in 2020.
Along with multiple picks in the 2nd and 3rd in both those years.

The problem is they do dumb trades like the Zibanejad one where they shoot themselves in the foot. They seem to be ok when it comes to getting talent from the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad