Around the League 2018-19 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camille the Eel

i thought zuc would get more
He should have been worth more than Boyle. The Preds would have been better off with Zucharello because he would create more chances for them, and scoring from their forwards instead of their defense is what they need.

Shero did well by being the first GM with the first player into the market a couple weeks back. Oversupply deflated the prices since then.

As to Columbus (switching sub-topics here, free associating) after getting Dzingel and Duchene from Ottawa, I will not be surprised at all if they keep Panarin and Bobrovsky and aim to make as deep a run as they can this year, at least to win a series (first time for the franchise). They will figure that among the three forwards they will be able to throw money at and resign one of them in the off season. Why move Panarin for prospects in that scenario? They now have an option in Duchene for a major forward to replace the bread man.

Finally interesting that Duchene in a sense finally replaces replaces Ryan Johansen (spelling?) from the days of their moving him for Seth Jones.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's still a 2 and a 3 for a rental even if neither condition gets met. Centers and defensemen fetch firsts a lot more than wingers do unless they're true power forwards or star names perhaps.

He should have been worth more than Boyle. The Preds would have been better off with Zucharello because he would create more chances for them, and scoring from their forwards instead of their defense is what they need.

He was worth more than Boyle, they got the extra pick for him. Boyle 'only' went for a 2. Zucc went for a 2 and a 3.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Zuccarello is a decent third line winger but he’s not a game changer. He’s become very enigmatic last two years after a really tremendous 3 year stretch.

My guess is he goes back to the Rangers in offseason. I could see him pulling a disappearing act with Dallas and struggling there to adjust in the stretch run.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Zuccarello is a decent third line winger but he’s not a game changer. He’s become very enigmatic last two years after a really tremendous 3 year stretch.

My guess is he goes back to the Rangers in offseason. I could see him pulling a disappearing act with Dallas and struggling there to adjust in the stretch run.

I don't know if he fits their rebuild/going younger theme but otoh putting the poison pill in the deal (turning the 3 to a 1 if he re-signs in Dallas) might indicate they do want to re-sign him themselves.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

He is not a third line winger. He’s been a 50-60 point player since 2013.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
I don't know if he fits their rebuild/going younger theme but otoh putting the poison pill in the deal (turning the 3 to a 1 if he re-signs in Dallas) might indicate they do want to re-sign him themselves.

I think Gorton took the best deal he could get. I don’t think there was too much love for Zuccarello in the open market. Sounded like teams kept asking for Kreider. I think Gorton’s gambling on somebody coming in late with higher offer on Hayes. I’m surprised they aren’t looking to keep Hayes. You could do worse in a rebuild to have two fairly good centers who are still youngish in Zibby and Hayes to build around.

Lots of Ranger fans are very sheepish on Gorton as GM still. Mixed record and return on trades so far. One great one, few meh ones but a few bad ones too.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He is a third line winger now and going forward.
This is plain wrong. Maybe in a year or two as he starts declining, but he isn't there yet.

He's playing at a 67 point pace this season...that's 1st line winger production. Typically though, he averages around 56 points per 82 games, which puts him into a low end 1st liner or high end 2nd liner territory. Ideally he's a 2nd liner on a good team.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Third-line wingers don't have 55-60 point seasons on a regular basis in 2019. He's had 37 in 46 games this year. That's (conservatively) more like high second/low first line production.

That’s not first line at all, at least not on a good team. Looking back at stats line now again I’d take mea culpa and revise to second line tier actually. I thought his PP stats were disparate but he’s actually fairly well distributed in 5v5 and PPP and per 60.

He’s not a guy I want the Devils spending big money on this offseason though. Very wary with the tread on the tires and wrong side of 30.

I think he wants to go back to Rangers.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Based on what? He was playing 20 minutes a game, was excellent possession player and is on a 60+ point pace. He’s a third line player on maybe a handful of teams. Nico is a third line by that definition.
Kyle Palmieri is a 3rd line winger based on that as well. Palms is a 58 point player per 82 games since coming here, which is barely better than Zuccarello.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
This is plain wrong. Maybe in a year or two as he starts declining, but he isn't there yet.

He's playing at a 67 point pace this season...that's 1st line winger production. Typically though, he averages around 56 points per 82 games, which puts him into a low end 1st liner or high end 2nd liner territory. Ideally he's a 2nd liner on a good team.

I just revised my thinking based on looking over again. I can see Nill in what he’s trying to do here to at least get some offensive depth and a little more variability up front.

Not sure a Zucc and Lovejoy acquisition will sneak them into playoffs if their top guys don’t raise their games and consistently so.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Well that ruins my pipe dream of grabbing a 1st for MarJo.

I don't necessarily think it does. If there's a bidding war over the next 24 hours it might have an outside chance of us getting a 1. I think at this point we are probably looking at a 2 and a prospect or a 3 and a legit close to ready prospect.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The Columbus GM (I cant even begin to attempt to properly spell his name) is acting like a CEO of a company who is going to be retiring soon, so he goes on a short-term spending spree mortgaging the companies future for immediate success. Wouldnt shock me if he retires in 2 or 3 years and moved back to Finland.

Reactions: njdevils1982

Camille the Eel

Defining Zuc as a third or second line player is a little besides the issue for Dallas, at least I think. What we saw here two weeks ago, when he set up Zibanejad with two very creative no look passes for two fairly easy goals, is that he's a very creative player who can make some game changing plays. He is also a nasty and gritty guy who gets under the other club's skin. Guys like that can be useful in the playoffs. Can he, will he, do that for them? They have some guys who can finish in Segin, Benn, Radulov and a few others. Can he help?

Dallas is kind of an interesting club in the playoffs in what you presume is pretty wide open and weak western conference, except for San Jose. (and maybe Nashville? I am not convinced by Nashville). What level will Bishop play at also a question for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad