Around Hockey XXV (All Non-Jackets Hockey Talk Here)

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Games start on October 8th. You were fooled by the schedule (or more likely the Scores page?). The actual Schedule page has them listed as normal or "Preseason".

It's confusing though. Why they did it is that they wanted the teams in the Global Series to have an easier time travel and wear wise, i.e. their schedule is drawn out a bit more compared to other teams to account for the travel. This is probably better than travelling during the season. Maybe there's more they can do in the future though, increase the teams and play a mini series and then have a bigger rest while returning back...

Either way confusing the way they display it on the website and have preseason games running the same time. Running a long preseason means ticket revenue though, so I bet it's all a big compromise and this is what we got this year... (And see Doggy's post above for thoughts on 84 games etc.)

Ah yes, though I'm pretty sure they changed something on that schedule page since I posted my earlier message? Or I'm just early in turning senile... but I'm not usually too bad about this stuff and the website did a great job confusing me.

I dunno, there's 82 reg. season games + playoffs, the only thing even remotely interesting about preseason is seeing some young guys get some games in against at least partially NHL level competition, but then again it's preseason so no one gives a crap but the guys fighting for spots :D But that just me, I'm not die hard enough.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
NCAA is getting closer to opening Men's Hockey to Canadian Juniors players. In all fairness, perhaps it is also time for Canadian Juniors to drop its age restriction on its players going to the AHL.

Reactions: LJ7 and Monk

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I know its early but NJ looks like a real contender so far this season. Their offseason acquisitions have really made a difference in these first few games and they haven't even gotten a goal from Jack Hughes yet.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I flew to Washington DC today to see a concert tomorrow and it turns out my hotel is around the corner from the Caps arena so I thought I would go to a capitals game for the first time since I was 9 years old in 1977

IMG_1153.jpeg

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'm watching the Montreal game now and during breaks (thanks vkontakte.ru for record:bow:). Except Suzuki, there are no centers for the TOP 6. Dach has not found his play yet, Evans and Dvorak do not have a sense of combination hockey, only vertical. In the second line, the Armia is...., generally an amorphous player. The third and fourth are completely vertical, in defense, as we have in the 2022/23 season. Only young Hutson and Guhle can make a high-quality first pass. Savard is very slow. But only he and Ghule have a sense of playing a defensive position, which helps PK (the fourth best in the NHL if believe www.nhl.com).
And then there's age... if the opponent has experienced players who can play the pass, Montreal has problems. In short, changes are needed and it's worth starting with the Armia, ideal 4th line player but not for the TOP 9.
By the way, Anderson is playing very well, he would have scored a goal, there are chances.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I flew to Washington DC today to see a concert tomorrow and it turns out my hotel is around the corner from the Caps arena so I thought I would go to a capitals game for the first time since I was 9 years old in 1977

View attachment 917862

I know the Caps beat a good team last night and they’ve gotten up to a good start, but they have very little speed on that team and their defense is not very good. They rely on hard work and grinding, and I’m not sure if that’s going to be something that works for 82 games.

PLD played like he can when he’s playing well. He centered a line with Tom Wilson and they were incredibly effective and they seem to have a good chemistry so that might work, but I think they looked really slow as a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad