Around Hockey XXV (All Non-Jackets Hockey Talk Here)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
That would make for interesting storylines, I compel the universe to do it! :D

Happy to see Florida in the finals. I'm not an Edmonton fan but McDavid winning the cup wouldn't be the worst thing either... Still gonna root for Florida though.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I had ranked Florida above Edmonton in my pre-playoffs rooting interest post a few weeks back, saying Edmonton is a team I generally dislike and won’t root for.

But I am altering my approach for these Finals, first because I personally support a Canadian team winning the Cup and second because it would shut up all those whiny Canadians who think the same.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I could see Jarmo getting another GM job but I don't know why he'd be a fit in Carolina. They already have their draft gurus and just want someone to handle communicating with people, which is not Jarmo's strength. I suppose maybe they think he'd be good at trades.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
True, but you wouldn't have known it from some of the rhetoric that was showing up here.

I think you overstate that point. You once went off on me saying how much I hated him. I never hated Jarmo. I said at the time I was a big Jarmo backer until I wasn’t, and that he certainly deserved another job in the NHL. Jarmo overstayed his time in Columbus and wasn’t making good moves in the end and deserved to be fired way before he was, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t have good years in Columbus and it doesn’t mean that he isn’t good at certain aspects of the job. He might have great success elsewhere. But I think for some reason you think I and others have this visceral hatred for him.

Jarmo isn’t afraid to make a big move. Maybe if the Leafs had had a guy like Jarmo they might have made a daring trade instead of running the same big 4 year after year. I said in another thread maybe he could go to New Jersey and make a big trade for a goalie. Good luck to Jarmo. Go be successful. Just bring in a guy that will place a limit the number of undersized wings you draft.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think you overstate that point. You once went off on me saying how much I hated him. I never hated Jarmo. I said at the time I was a big Jarmo backer until I wasn’t, and that he certainly deserved another job in the NHL. Jarmo overstayed his time in Columbus and wasn’t making good moves in the end and deserved to be fired way before he was, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t have good years in Columbus and it doesn’t mean that he isn’t good at certain aspects of the job. He might have great success elsewhere. But I think for some reason you think I and others have this visceral hatred for him.
I can tell you exactly why I have that perception - because you would routinely go out of your way to reiterate The Need For His Firing and How Terrible He Is and How Everything Is Horrible Until He's Gone Forever in thread after thread after thread, even in contexts where it wasn't entirely relevant or wasn't part of the conversation until you brought it up. And when someone is that persistent about a single thought over and over, that to me puts it beyond mere Opinion Sharing. It's the same reason why it's considered a given that, say, thebus hates anything and everything Patrick Laine, for example.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I can tell you exactly why I have that perception - because you would routinely go out of your way to reiterate The Need For His Firing and How Terrible He Is and How Everything Is Horrible Until He's Gone Forever in thread after thread after thread, even in contexts where it wasn't entirely relevant or wasn't part of the conversation until you brought it up. And when someone is that persistent about a single thought over and over, that to me puts it beyond mere Opinion Sharing. It's the same reason why it's considered a given that, say, thebus hates anything and everything Patrick Laine, for example.

He was fired two years too late. He was making obvious mistakes. Sorry if I could see not having a tough guy was a mistake before Jarmo did or if I actually did a poll before the season last year about how would we hold leads with no defensive defensemen before the season started. Sorry if I got really annoyed when we blew lead after lead after lead and people were posting about what a great job Jarmo was doing because of our top 5 defense.

Anyway, Jarmo is gone and it is time to be happy about change (for those of us not harboring a 15 year old grudge against Waddell) and happy for Jarmo to have new opportunities.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It's not like he had a MacLean-esque time here, he showed he's competent and can do the job, unlike Doug
Really. He was a disaster imo. Other than a brief time when we knocked off TB and beat Toronto in the Covid year his team didn't get better. They either stayed about he same or regressed until they hit the bottom the last 2 years. He handed out ridiculous long term contracts. He pissed off numerous young players. He hired Mlke Babcock. He let OB go for next to nothing when there were other viable ways to fit under the cap. He rushed prospects to the NHL.Good luck to any team dumb enough to hire him.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I could see Jarmo getting another GM job but I don't know why he'd be a fit in Carolina. They already have their draft gurus and just want someone to handle communicating with people, which is not Jarmo's strength. I suppose maybe they think he'd be good at trades.
I don't see it either BUT maybe they think Dundon + Jarmo would be a sledgehammer nailing those pesky little player contracts the way they want it. :D I can sort of see that if they limit Jarmo to just that + minor housekeeping and trades, and not let him give those Severson contracts. Carolina does need a shakeup so maybe Jarmo making some big trades is worth a shot.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He was fired two years too late. He was making obvious mistakes. Sorry if I could see not having a tough guy was a mistake before Jarmo did or if I actually did a poll before the season last year about how would we hold leads with no defensive defensemen before the season started. Sorry if I got really annoyed when we blew lead after lead after lead and people were posting about what a great job Jarmo was doing because of our top 5 defense.

Anyway, Jarmo is gone and it is time to be happy about change (for those of us not harboring a 15 year old grudge against Waddell) and happy for Jarmo to have new opportunities.
And this is the other part of why I'm convinced it's actual hatred - these sorts of unprompted vindictive jabs.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I had ranked Florida above Edmonton in my pre-playoffs rooting interest post a few weeks back, saying Edmonton is a team I generally dislike and won’t root for.

But I am altering my approach for these Finals, first because I personally support a Canadian team winning the Cup and second because it would shut up all those whiny Canadians who think the same.
NEVER!

Non-traditional hockey market solidarity!

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
And this is the other part of why I'm convinced it's actual hatred - these sorts of unprompted vindictive jabs.

Meant more as a playful jab than a vindictive jab, but whatever. Can’t get my emojis to work on this site anymore.

If a game or a message board could get me to actually hate people, I’d be looking for something else to do with my time.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I'm not sure who would even buy a hat like that even if it was cool looking. I would much prefer to get a hat signifying a championship vs participation lol.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I'm not sure who would even buy a hat like that even if it was cool looking. I would much prefer to get a hat signifying a championship vs participation lol.

If your team never gets to a championship game or series, and it finally does but loses, you buy that hat (assuming it was attractive) on clearance when the stores start selling championship gear. It only works if it was a good game or series. You can’t buy that hat if your team is blown out or swept. But if your team loses a series 4-2, and you don’t think they’ll get a championship in your lifetime, you buy that hat on clearance and wear it proudly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad