Value of: Armia

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Could Montreal get a first for Armia at Deadline, 50% retained. Excellent defensively and 16 goals. Good mid liner for cup team.
In theory, sure. Armia may have an excellent season and there may be a Cup contender that needs exactly what he provides. That said, I seriously doubt that happens and don't expect to get anything close to a 1st-round pick for Armia.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I thought Habs fans were delusional for expecting firsts for Monahan and Chiarot so while my gut reaction was there is no way in hell they are getting a first for Armia at this point I would surprised if they didn't get a first for the guy.
Chiarot was clearly worth a 1st. But a promising prospect like McGroarty is worth 4 2nds.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I thought Habs fans were delusional for expecting firsts for Monahan and Chiarot so while my gut reaction was there is no way in hell they are getting a first for Armia at this point I would surprised if they didn't get a first for the guy.
Yup, they say that every year about our pending UFA. But it is only this board. I don't know the reason?? Lack of knowledge I suspect.

Common sense tells me a good defensive vet who can chip in 20 goals on cheap contract worth a lot at deadline.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
If Hughes can get a first for Yoel they need to build a statue for him outside the Bell Centre.

He is an amazing player for 10 game stretches every year, rest of the year he belongs in the AHL

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Lol did someone seriously suggest Joel Armia would land a first round pick?

At this point you'd be lucky to get a 4th for him with salary retention.

Reactions: HabsQC

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Obviously Armia's stats don't scream first rounder return but he's the kind of physically unique talent who might be on a bunch of teams' wishlist nearing the TDL. A 1st might be reaching but a 2nd I could absolutely see happening if he has the kinda year he had last year.

Reactions: LokiDog

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Chiarot and the role he plays is typical for a first at the deadline and Monahan rebounded a lot and makes sense too. This isn't Joel Armia of 5 seasons ago. He'd have to have a very good start to be worth even a very late first.

Reactions: Scintillating10

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Obviously Armia's stats don't scream first rounder return but he's the kind of physically unique talent who might be on a bunch of teams' wishlist nearing the TDL. A 1st might be reaching but a 2nd I could absolutely see happening if he has the kinda year he had last year.
Physically unique at 6'3-4" is a weird description mate. He's big but not overly physical at all. He's a solid 2way player but insanely inconsistent offensively. He's also not as durable as you'd like and teams would more than likely make a conditional pick trade where it goes up if he is actually on the roster and playing vs IR.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Physically unique at 6'3-4" is a weird description mate. He's big but not overly physical at all. He's a solid 2way player but insanely inconsistent offensively. He's also not as durable as you'd like and teams would more than likely make a conditional pick trade where it goes up if he is actually on the roster and playing vs IR.
I don't mean just size. The guy is an absolute beast at shielding the puck and has very good hands.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I don't mean just size. The guy is an absolute beast at shielding the puck and has very good hands.
Very good hands don't result in very poor offense for most of his career given the pedigree he had as a prospect and where he was picked. He's 31. The hype train is gone for him. He's not going to get some first rounder unless he's putting up Monahan numbers before the deadline. Simple as that.

Which also means for the first time in his career he has to be durable. He's a former first that took 9 seasons to finally hit a career high of 17 goals. You're selling him on the wrong strengths. He's a strong pk player that is good at both ends and a solid bottom 6 add at best. He'd maybe get a 3rd and a reclamation project ahl player at best, or with a lot of retention a 2nd.

I used to like Armia as a prospect on the Sabres, really hoped the Pens would snag him and Zadorov from them at one point. It's been a while. Always looked like he'd be breaking out and then just never would.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Very good hands don't result in very poor offense for most of his career given the pedigree he had as a prospect and where he was picked. He's 31. The hype train is gone for him. He's not going to get some first rounder unless he's putting up Monahan numbers before the deadline. Simple as that.

Which also means for the first time in his career he has to be durable. He's a former first that took 9 seasons to finally hit a career high of 17 goals. You're selling him on the wrong strengths. He's a strong pk player that is good at both ends and a solid bottom 6 add at best. He'd maybe get a 3rd and a reclamation project ahl player at best, or with a lot of retention a 2nd.

I used to like Armia as a prospect on the Sabres, really hoped the Pens would snag him and Zadorov from them at one point. It's been a while. Always looked like he'd be breaking out and then just never would.
The qualities I mentioned are exactly the ones that make him such an effective PKer. You obviously would not expect top 6 production out of him but few players can put on a puck shielding clinic like Armia.

I never suggested he'd fetch a 1st anyway so don't try to twist my words in that regard. Like I said, IF he has the kinda year he had last year there could be a lot of takers for him at the TDL. Obviously if he's hurt or just has a down year then any sort of meaningful return is a pipe dream.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Monahan is a center. Chiarot while a LHD is still a Dman that plays a game dinosaur GMs love.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
At the deadline? Anything is possible I suppose. Armia is a chronic slow starter. I just don't see a bidding war for him like there clearly was for Chiarot (for example).

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Nope.

A 2nd, maybe.

He's the kind of UFA to be that you'd have to pay to get rid of in the summer but at the TD, he's gonna have some value.

Typical rental role player that can pay off comes the playoffs.

He's tailor made to be a solid bottom 6 contributor in the playoff kind of hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Easternbull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad