HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Bergevin added Chiarot and Edmondson. You'll recall that Chiarot was sometimes called shit-rot on here,

I'm taking full credit for that, it was me and I want an award for that killer nickname.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'd say just because he's good and he's available. But with his team-friendly AAV contending teams will pay a fortune in futures for him.
I for one would love to have Andersson as our #1 RD and return Guhle to his strong side.
I think it would be huge for Reinbacher's game to allow him to slot in on a second pairing.
Matheson's days are numbered here I think the only question is when and it certainly won't be before we have a #1 RD...

All eyes will be on Hutson/Reinbacher starting Saturday because they may very well end up being our go to offensive pairing.
Meanwhile an Andersson Guhle pairing would take on the shut down role and harder minutes.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't think Habs will trade Savard unless Reinbacher/Mailloux become established top 4 dmen this year. Ideally we trade him by the deadline and he resigns with us for a discount, I'm more than fine having him as a bottom pairing dman for the time being.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I don't think Habs will trade Savard unless Reinbacher/Mailloux become established top 4 dmen this year. Ideally we trade him by the deadline and he resigns with us for a discount, I'm more than fine having him as a bottom pairing dman for the time being.
I think you “have” to trade him because of his worth, but of nothing is on the trade front, sign him. I’m 100% certain he wants to end his career here. He already signed a lesser contract as a UFA when he came in. He said he wanted to raise his family in his home province, and I doubt that’s changed.

Reactions: The Great Weal

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think you “have” to trade him because of his worth, but of nothing is on the trade front, sign him. I’m 100% certain he wants to end his career here. He already signed a lesser contract as a UFA when he came in. He said he wanted to raise his family in his home province, and I doubt that’s changed.
He seemed very adamant about wanting to be here no matter what. I don't think the players will be happy with trading him, but if the return is too good to pass up Hughes has to do it. The 16-20 games we would miss him isn't significant.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Savard ain't going nowhere. He's much more valuable to us as part of the team and mentoring the younger players.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Savard ain't going nowhere. He's much more valuable to us as part of the team and mentoring the younger players.
until when? The moment Mailloux and Reinbacher are gonna ask and deserve for more minutes (wich probably coming this year). Savard should be gone. Pretty sure you can get a first pick for him . Lets say, You get a first 2026. This is something valuable, cause next year you could trade back that pick for a direct help.

Reactions: rahad

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
until when? The moment Mailloux and Reinbacher are gonna ask and deserve for more minutes (wich probably coming this year). Savard should be gone. Pretty sure you can get a first pick for him . Lets say, You get a first 2026. This is something valuable, cause next year you could trade back that pick for a direct help.
Savard should be gone by the end of the year. He is a good Vet. But we just don't have any place for him in 2025-2026 season.

Matheson-Ghule
Hutson-Reinbacher
Arber-Mailloux or struble or Barron

Reactions: Sterling Archer

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
there's 3 spots on the right side, plenty of room for Savard, Mailloux and Reinbacher.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
there's 3 spots on the right side, plenty of room for Savard, Mailloux and Reinbacher.
If a team Give me a first pick for Savard a trade him right away. Even a second…
Soon, there will have a log jam at D.
Or you keep him for the 3rd pair. But Reinbacher and Mailloux are pretty close to be NHLer

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If a team Give me a first pick for Savard a trade him right away. Even a second…
Soon, there will have a log jam at D.
Or you keep him for the 3rd pair. But Reinbacher and Mailloux are pretty close to be NHLer
I'd trade Savard anyway. Like i said he'll be 35 the first season of his next contract. If we still need a vet presence it would be better to sign a younger player on the UFA market or trade for one. Even a 2nd round pick there's value in that. That would give us three 2nd round picks along with two first round picks for next draft which would give us lot of ammunitions to make a trade.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Savard will be 35 in 2025-2026. I'm honestly surprised some of our fans would resign him. Hope KH realise that signing a 35 years old dman who has never best fast would be a bad idea.

plus he absolutely blows. I love when he puts on his tough guy face, when a scrum ensues, then he just backs away into oblivion

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Savard will be 35 in 2025-2026. I'm honestly surprised some of our fans would resign him. Hope KH realise that signing a 35 years old dman who has never best fast would be a bad idea.

You wouldn't take Savard back on something like 1-1.5 mil AAV for a season or two?

Reactions: The Great Weal

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Struble vs Cuylle is something i would be on board.

Rangers needs helps on defence and Struble fits the profile they miss. Cuylle is the profile we miss on the bottom 6.

Both are similar profile player.

Reactions: Hins77

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

It all depends on what Savard wants. If he still wants to be an everyday player and get paid based on that, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to re-sign him.
If he wants to stick around and spend a bunch of time in the press box on a cheaper deal I'd gladly take him back.

As he'll be 35, has missed a quarter of the season the last 3 years and plays the type of game that is rough on the body, I don't think he's a guy who will be playing into his late 30s and he might fine with a lesser role for a year or two before retiring,

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Struble vs Cuylle is something i would be on board.

Rangers needs helps on defence and Struble fits the profile they miss. Cuylle is the profile we miss on the bottom 6.

Both are similar profile player.
Rangers already have Trouba and Lindgren as the physical, defensive, no real offense dmen along with Braden Schneider.

Granted they might need to shed Trouba and the way Lindgren plays he more than likely doesn't have another 5, or 6 years of this level in him.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Yes having good veterans around that wanna be here is important.
Veterans who contribute are good, sometimes excellent

Has-beens kept because they’ll “mentor” never work, never have any noticeable or perceptible impact, and take up space a useful player could take.

The biggest example is Shea Weber. He wasn’t ever useless but the impact of his aura and mentorship on the rest of the roster was worth dick all. It wasn’t sustained and wasn’t even noticeable. The Habs had the worst season in franchise history after a few years of his “mentorship” and every young defender busted.

Savard trains hard and it’s been reported he’s a “glue guy”. When the opportunity comes to get another hard working glue guy who is more impactful and relevant, I’m going for the next guy.

If he’s such a good mentor he can retire and coach on a coach’s salary.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Rangers already have Trouba and Lindgren as the physical, defensive, no real offense dmen along with Braden Schneider.

Granted they might need to shed Trouba and the way Lindgren plays he more than likely doesn't have another 5, or 6 years of this level in him.

They need good two way dman with speed. They have a slow as hell defence.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
You trade Savard at the TDL. Getting attached to average players is what put us in this mess in the first place.

He's a good vet but that potential first round pick is much more valuable to us.

Some of you think this rebuild is done or something?

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
All depends on the progress of our young RD. Right now everyone thinks Mailloux/Reinbacher will progress and look great, but that doesn't always happen, bad years can happen for a variety of reasons. If by TDL all signs point to the young RD needing more AHL time then why wouldn't we want to re-sign Savard on a short term deal?

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I think we will almost certainly be trading Savard at the deadline. I'm not sure we'll be getting a 1st rounder for him though; it'll really depend on the season he has up to that point.

Accumulating the assets from a trade at this point will be more important than trying to re-sign him to keep him with our group. There's a decent chance we'll want to sign a RHD vet for depth next summer on a short term contract to continue supporting development of our younger defencemen, but, Savard might want more term than we'll be willing to give him next offseason.

Reactions: bsl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad