Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - Looking to the offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Speaking of which, where did all the Fabbro defenders go?
Hey, I'm a Fabbro defender. Just I've become a little bit fatalistic about what the team will do with him.

If we trade him, I predict he will become a more significant NHL player than Tolvanen. And trading him for a Cap-albatross pylon on defense will be even worse than giving him away for nothing like we did with Tolvanen.

But yeah, I can see our team doing that. :help:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Player Headshot

TYLER MYERS | #57​

D | 6' 8" | 229 lb | Age: 32 | Vancouver Canucks
For clarification
I know, I was joking.
He's ... not good.

Nothing I know of. Just wondering why the idea of trading Fabbro away for an older journeyman doesn't seem to be a big deal.

I think it's dumb. Fabbro is one of our best skaters, and we're not a team full of good skaters.
I'm worn out trying to point out how good he actually is to people that will never see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: triggrman

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I'm worn out trying to point out how good he actually is to people that will never see it.
Right.

I will say though, and not because of the big hits, Lauzon has played way better lately.

At the end of the day, paying $5M in total for bottom pairing defenders is a little steep, I doubt Fabbro stays in Nashville because of that. You have $15M to top pairing, Probably $7-8M in middle pairing, and $5M to bottom pairing. That's a lot of money for defenders.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Right.

I will say though, and not because of the big hits, Lauzon has played way better lately.

At the end of the day, paying $5M in total for bottom pairing defenders is a little steep, I doubt Fabbro stays in Nashville because of that. You have $15M to top pairing, Probably $7-8M in middle pairing, and $5M to bottom pairing. That's a lot of money for defenders.
Agreed with Lauzon, other than those two horrible PP goals against. You could see last night that he was ready to release from the front of the net and was play several feet out from the crease to cover that backside shot. He's playing with some confidence for sure, scoring goals and crushing people will do that I suppose.

That is a lot of money to have tied up in defense but that's a hell of a lineup back there if Poile can figure out the cap. It's gotta help having younger cheaper forward options.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Agreed with Lauzon, other than those two horrible PP goals against. You could see last night that he was ready to release from the front of the net and was play several feet out from the crease to cover that backside shot. He's playing with some confidence for sure, scoring goals and crushing people will do that I suppose.

That is a lot of money to have tied up in defense but that's a hell of a lineup back there if Poile can figure out the cap. It's gotta help having younger cheaper forward options.
I'm all for having defensive depth.

I'm afraid though contracts like Duchene, Granlund and Joey, will eventually eat away at our depth.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
Surely you're not suggesting that he's another one that got away or something. He's in the AHL now.
Lol definitely not. We got McD for him. Take that and run. I know he’s in the AHL. He’s a 7th dman at best rn. Was just saying that he was way better than people give him credit for in his short time here. I definitely saw his potential.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
With Novak and Smith re-signed I thought I'd do a salary cap situation update for next season in the style of Porter:

2023-24
Forsberg ($8.5M) - Glass (RFA) - Duchene ($8M)
Niederreiter ($4M) - Johansen ($8M) - Granlund ($5M)
Trenin ($1.7M) - Novak ($0.800M) - Jeannot (RFA)
Smith ($0.775M) - Parssinen ($0.850833M) - Sissons ($2.857M)
Tomasino ($0.863333M)

Josi ($9.059M) - McDonagh ($6.75M)
Ekholm ($6.25M) - Fabbro (RFA)
Lauzon ($2M) - Carrier (RFA)
Gross/Gravel ($0.7625M)

Saros ($5M)
Lankinen (UFA)

Buyouts: Turris ($2M)

Total: $73.167M committed

If we assume the cap is $83.5M like capfriendly does then:
Remaining Cap Space: $10.333M

So we have $10.332M to re-sign Glass, Jeannot, Fabbro, Carrier, and Lankinen or their replacements. So just over $2M per player on average. Maybe not totally impossible without making any other moves, but it'll definitely be tight. Doing something like moving Granlund or Nino makes a lot of sense by enabling us to re-sign everyone and opening a spot for Tomasino. A Fabbro move still seems likely given his salary compared to how we use him too though.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I think we need to move one of our 5M plus caphits. Unless Fabbro is going to net us a younger rhd with as much upside it doesnt make sense to trade him given the current status of the team (age, performance, etc).

My crack at guessing contracts:

Jeannot 1.5 - 2.0M
Carrier 2.5 - 3.0M
Fabbro 2.5 - 3.0M
Glass 2.5 - 3.0M (Shortish term)
Backup 1.0 - 1.5M

Total 10 - 12.5M

Granlund and Nino are the obvious trade choices to me. We have lots of winger prospects and the core of this group is aging. Forsberg is the only top 6 winger under 30.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
So we have $10.332M to re-sign Glass, Jeannot, Fabbro, Carrier, and Lankinen or their replacements. So just over $2M per player on average. Maybe not totally impossible without making any other moves, but it'll definitely be tight. Doing something like moving Granlund or Nino makes a lot of sense by enabling us to re-sign everyone and opening a spot for Tomasino. A Fabbro move still seems likely given his salary compared to how we use him too though.
My hope is that sanity prevails on the Fabbro front... i.e. that we fire Hynes before we make the mistake of moving Fabbro. It's not like you can just go off to free agency and sign anybody who is decent to replace him for much less anyway. (Unless he himself just asks out, of course).

And now that we're in the right thread for it, I still think the Johansen buyout option technically makes sense as a fantasy fallback too. Trading Granlund at face value would be preferable, of course. But if we were ever truly stuck, the $5.3M saved on Johansen would easily get us out of this tight situation, and with how much the Cap is likely to go up in the future, the dead Cap penalty is something we might not be spending to anyway. Plus we have the young centers in place, at last. So it still makes the list as the final last-resort fallback option. Ensuring we can control our own Cap destiny, at least.

I still get a sense that all 3 of Glass, Jeannot, and Carrier feel like "organization guys", though, so it wouldn't shock me if Poile could sweet talk any or all of them into somewhat surprisingly low contracts. Especially the way Jeannot and Carrier have fallen off this season. :dunno: :crossfing

Oh yeah... the addendum to all this is basically that we ought not to expect next season's player personnel to look very different... which leaves... :help:

Reactions: predhead1

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Because simply "removing" players without taking cap back was so totally realistic of an expectation even before this whole "flat cap" thing, amirite?
There are a couple teams that have some capspace next season. Unfortunately, many of them are rebuilding. Buffalo might be in the market for someone.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
There are a couple teams that have some capspace next season. Unfortunately, many of them are rebuilding. Buffalo might be in the market for someone.
Plus there are more than just a couple teams that will be looking to dump contracts onto those few that do have CapSpace for sale. So it won't even be that easy to "outbid" those teams with the few teams to take our players. :(

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Or all 3 Vancouver boys: Sissons, Fabbro, and Johansen.

I just wonder would the Canucks take them?
I'm sure there would be no trouble trading either of Sissons or Fabbro to many different teams, if we wanted to. We shouldn't want to.

Nobody in the league will take Johansen, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad