Speculation: Armchair GM - Offseason Thread (Summer Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I don't like everything Jarmo does but I also don't claim to know what he would do under some made up scenarios I come up with.

Also after a 81 point season with a young roster I'm not gonna blame him for trying to build on that, also I'm not even sure what he should've done after 21-22 to make the team suck enough for intentional tanking? It's also pretty obvious he's been perfectly aware of the center situation, he drafted Johnson / Sillinger and has been repeatedly on record saying how difficult it is to address #1C unless you draft one.

If I got to choose, I'd rather have them healthy and follow some development curve from 21-22 last season than get swamped by injuries and implode, but that's what happened and maybe it turns out lucky in the end. But that's not within GMs control and you gotta play with the cards you're given.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Who would you want from the current market?

I want a Jarmo type move. A trade nobody expected or bringing in a guy from a European league that has worked his way up. I don’t want a boring typical GM move of signing a free agent or trading for a guy that everyone knows will be traded. When did Jarmo stop being Jarmo?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I don't like everything Jarmo does but I also don't claim to know what he would do under some made up scenarios I come up with.
:eyeroll:
Also after a 81 point season with a young roster I'm not gonna blame him for trying to build on that,
2 years into a rebuild and 20 points out of a playoff spot is the time to build a competitive team? Time to start competing? Time to sign Gaudreau, Gudbranson?
also I'm not even sure what he should've done after 21-22 to make the team suck enough for intentional tanking?
What I said last year:
Johnson, Sillinger, Marchenko, Jiricek, Chinakhov all to the AHL (where a lot of them belong anyway). Gavrikov traded before the season, same with Nyquist (who we got no value from due to him being hurt).

29-38-13
19-96-52
50-17-72
23-7-24
8-2
44-27
22-77

Our “Good” CBJ team started 3-9, the team above would be terrible - looks like a Chicago/SJS level team.

It's also pretty obvious he's been perfectly aware of the center situation, he drafted Johnson / Sillinger and has been repeatedly on record saying how difficult it is to address #1C unless you draft one.
Yet Johnson is not a C, and looks to be a winger. Sillinger struggled in year two and is middle 6 potential C anyway.

The bolded is my exact point.
If I got to choose, I'd rather have them healthy and follow some development curve from 21-22 last season than get swamped by injuries and implode,
You are kind of crazy for that. We have had a 1C for maybe 2-3 years in franchise history, accomplished nothing, and people are okay with continuing with that same plan? You can follow development in the AHL.
but that's what happened and maybe it turns out lucky in the end. But that's not within GMs control and you gotta play with the cards you're given.
Except when it comes to players leaving and wanting out as UFAs? Or does that count against Jarmo now?

Last edited:

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
Does anyone know how Voronkov's skating has looked like recently? I didn't watch too many KHL games this past season but watched a ton a couple years ago. From what I remember he's a bull in a china shop with a surprising amount of skill but his skating was very subpar. As in I'm not even sure I would call it NHL level a couple years ago. If his skating has improved I could see Babcock using him as a winger for something like Fantilli-Gaudreau or Roslovic/Laine. When he was in Toronto he loved pairing up two high skill guys with a grinder/pest/go get the puck type of guy.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011

2 years into a rebuild and 20 points out of a playoff spot is the time to build a competitive team? Time to start competing? Time to sign Gaudreau, Gudbranson?

What I said last year:
Johnson, Sillinger, Marchenko, Jiricek, Chinakhov all to the AHL (where a lot of them belong anyway). Gavrikov traded before the season, same with Nyquist (who we got no value from due to him being hurt).

29-38-13
19-96-52
50-17-72
23-7-24
8-2
44-27
22-77

Our “Good” CBJ team started 3-9, the team above would be terrible - looks like a Chicago/SJS level team.

Yet Johnson is not a C, and looks to be a winger. Sillinger struggled in year two and is middle 6 potential C anyway.

The bolded is my exact point.

You are kind of crazy for that. We have had a 1C for maybe 2-3 years in franchise history, accomplished nothing, and people are okay with continuing with that same plan? You can follow development in the AHL.

Except when it comes to players leaving and wanting out as UFAs? Or does that count against Jarmo now?
List me the players who are or are likely to be 1Cs drafted in the NHL during the past five years (150 players roughly).

The list is not long, I can tell you that. But I’d like to see your list.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
List me the players who are or are likely to be 1Cs drafted in the NHL during the past five years (150 players roughly).

The list is not long, I can tell you that. But I’d like to see your list.
Bedard
Fantilli
Carlsson
Smith
Cooley
Beniers
Stutzle
Hughes
Cozens
Hischier
Petterson
Norris/Suzuki ? (Low end 1C) not sure if I count them..

Guys like Johnston, McTavish, Thomas, Hayton, Zegras, Pinto (underrated), Mercer (if you play him as a C), Danielson in the 2C group. Where in a situation like San Jose, or Arizona they could eventually be playing 1C minutes - but the team is terrible.

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

IMO yes if you have a very young team (they did) and are on a good trajectory. Gaudreau I think is the level of player you sign if you have the chance, you could draft 1st several years in a row and not get a player of his level.

I never liked the Gudbranson signing, I get why Jarmo did it, but that's just too much money for the level of player he is. Substitute Gudbranson with someone who is actually worth that contract and I'd have no problems with it.

What I said last year:

In hindsight maybe but that would've been pretty demoralizing for a team that actually had a fighting chance for a wild card spot the previous season. Yeah they ended up with only 81 points but they were right in the mix until Jenner got hurt, was it mid-March or something.

Again hindsight, though if I recall correctly you were for the tank all along (even before the season started) so not 'blaming' you for it. But that's way worse start than I think almost anyone expected and let's not forget they lost Laine in game1 and it just got worse from there. A ridiculous season.

Assuming everyone stays healthy, even with your tank moves I'm not sure that's a legit tanking team. You have Werenski, Gaudreau, Laine, Voracek and Jenner. The way things went, you can pretty much scratch off Werenski and Voracek and both Laine and Jenner missed significant time, but nobody knew that beforehand.

It's too early to say whether Johnson is a C or not. He could become a legit #1C. I hoped they had given him more looks there but we don't know what Jarmo is thinking or what Larsen was thinking. Maybe they really just want to give him a bit more time to grow into his man strength as a winger.

Sillinger should've been sent AHL last spring already or even earlier but that said his rookie year showed a lot of promise, they just needed to send him down when it became apparent he's struggling. I saw solid 2C upside, I still do but with more uncertainty.

Again, in hindsight tanking makes perfect sense, but I would've been pissed off had they actually made such moves, but of course I didn't foresee the ridiculous amount of injuries, complete lack of goaltending or Larsen failing so miserably after seemingly doing a quite good job in his first year. The injuries are just shit luck, maybe on the latter two points I was being too optimistic, but I have no regrets :D The way they played 21-22 they earned my optimism despite the obvious problems.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Bedard
Fantilli
Carlsson
Smith
Cooley
Beniers
Stutzle
Hughes
Cozens
Hischier
Petterson
Norris/Suzuki ? (Low end 1C) not sure if I count them..

Guys like Johnston, McTavish, Thomas, Hayton, Zegras, Pinto (underrated), Mercer (if you play him as a C), Danielson in the 2C group. Where in a situation like San Jose, or Arizona they could eventually be playing 1C minutes - but the team is terrible.
Its actually a decently long list but at the same time from the group not ranked low end 1C the lowest drafted guy is Cozens at 7. Of course there can be guys who come out of nowhere but really puts into perspective how hard these guys can be to find

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
So to paraphrase.. they should have not signed Gaudreau, made no moves to improve the team so... what? They could have finished in a lottery position?
Gotta plan to tank for the tank to be worthwhile. And so we can keep rebuilding and stay the youngest team in the league year after year!

:sarcasm:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
So to paraphrase.. they should have not signed Gaudreau, made no moves to improve the team so... what? They could have finished in a lottery position?
Yes. Because that team as constructed was nowhere close to competing and had serious flaws, and the rebuild had just started. It takes time. How many of their 21/22 top point producers were viewed as long term pieces? Nyquist, Voracek, Roslovic, Gavrikov, Domi (Bjorkstrand probably could have been but we sent him packing too) - I’m not seeing guys that are part of the core group.
Gotta plan to tank for the tank to be worthwhile. And so we can keep rebuilding and stay the youngest team in the league year after year!

:sarcasm:
You should be during a rebuild…

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Yes. Because that team as constructed was nowhere close to competing and had serious flaws, and the rebuild had just started. It takes time. How many of their 21/22 top point producers were viewed as long term pieces? Nyquist, Voracek, Roslovic, Gavrikov, Domi (Bjorkstrand probably could have been but we sent him packing too) - I’m not seeing guys that are part of the core group.

The moment Gaudreau signed with us, it was signaling that we weren't going for a full rebuild the way you keep referencing Chicago is. That wasn't ever going to happen. And Jarmo has done a helluva job (or as you say, gotten lucky) retooling as quickly as he has. With so many pieces starting to look NHL ready around the same time. Chinny, Marchenko, Voronkov, Peeke Boqvist, Jiricek, Johnson, Svozil not even mentioning Fantilli or guys like Brindley who will be competing I'm assuming as soon as next season.

We didn't need a full rebuild, we just need to develop these kids we already properly. Which means sheltering them and bringing them along when they are ready. Which is the fine line he's trying thread right now by being competitive enough that we don't need to put Jiricek and Svozil in the top 4 next season for example.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

I mean, if you wanted Jarmo to actively make the team worse while he was actively trying to make the team better, I can see how you wouldn't like anything he does :laugh:

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
They specifically said "Retooling, not a rebuild" but you're judging based on your expectation of a rebuild.

Instead of gutting the team and building from ground up, they just made adjustments because the old core wasn't going to work. On top of that they used the picks really well. I think the turnaround has been great and should start providing results this season. Should have already last season but injuries ruined it.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Jarmo is teaching a masterclass. He actively spends like he's building a competive team but ends up in the lottery.

That's why he's in the hotseat for me, but with the whole picture in mind I think he deserves at least another year.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
That's why he's in the hotseat for me, but with the whole picture in mind I think he deserves at least another year.
I generally agree. He couldn't control all the injuries last season. He also addressed 2 glaring needs (HC and dmen) this off season, but the play of Elvis could make it or break it.

Reactions: thebus88 and Monk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad