Speculation: Armchair GM - Offseason Thread (Summer Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
What we need is three lines that can keep the pace high. While not looking at such uselessness as Jenner has shown he can be a top 6 player. With all due respect to Boone, Reinhart played on Florida's third line in the OP and Cousins along with Tkachuk and Bennett. Also, Florida didn't combine the best players.

Tampa's lines were:
Palát -- Point -- Kucherov
Stamkos -- Cirelli -- Killorn
while Tampa wasn't looking for a top center to play second forward.

Barbashev played on the Vegas 1st line, Karlsson was the 3rd line center.

And now look at Toronto, an illustration of how not to make the team.

P.S. still, we must find chemistry. Join right type players together. And not, Texier deserves to play in the TOP 6. It will only be counterproductive if he blocks the line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

InfiniteElement

Jan 4, 2019
If Pettersson shakes loose on the trade market what would people be willing to offer should he be willing to sign? Id imagine it unfortunately starts with Johnson
What does Vancouver need? If we could retain Fantilli/Jiricek, I'm pretty open to whatever else for a young/talented/proven center like EP. Kent Johnson, Cole Sillinger, Denton Mateychuk get it done? Add in Roslovic or another cap dump?

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
If Pettersson shakes loose on the trade market what would people be willing to offer should he be willing to sign? Id imagine it unfortunately starts with Johnson

I could live with that trade if it didn't include much more assets from CBJ.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
i'm sure they'd insist on johnson being in the deal (or jiricek) but i think cbj could still put together a monster offer without him. is any team beating an offer that includes:
  1. next two firsts
  2. marchenko
  3. sillinger
  4. mateychuk (or svozil, VAN's choice)
  5. peeke (or boqvist, VAN's choice)
the only one i can think of would be anaheim giving up mctavish++ or detroit giving up both kasper and edvinsson AND adding on top of that. if those offers are on the table, i wouldn't be opposed to giving up KJ – but i don't think he or jiricek would be necessary to the deal.

pettersson-fantilli is easily one of the top 1-2 punches at center in the league. the last top six wing spot becomes a battle between jenner, texier and chinakhov. suddenly there's a reasonable path into the top nine for guys like dumais, brindley, del bel belluz and whitelaw.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Elias Petersson ... is this the theme "Dream with us"? Vancouver will do everything possible and impossible to keep him.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
the jackets did everything possible to keep panarin, and were willing to match any offer sheet for dubois. the flames did everything possible to keep tkachuk.
Panarin wanted to play for the Rangers, turning down even offers from Colorado and Florida.
Dubois especially wanted to play in Montreal (he is French Canadian), he only took Winnipeg as a temporary team. And when not in Montreal, he agreed to Los Angeles.
Tkachuk wanted to leave Calgary and probably Canada. In doing so, he also preferred a top team.
So, with the exception of Dubois, and that too because of Montreal, they wanted to play in top teams, Panarin even on a certain team.
Petersson will be RFA though, but he can refuse to sign a contract.
We can give the Canucks a good offer, but Peterson can refuse to sign with us.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
The good news is he likely won’t ask out until after this season depending on how it goes.

Meaning we will have a bigger sample size on KJ.

If KJ gets 60 points or so, I wouldn’t do it. He’d also be cheaper.

Reactions: CBJx614

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
The good news is he likely won’t ask out until after this season depending on how it goes.

Meaning we will have a bigger sample size on KJ.

If KJ gets 60 points or so, I wouldn’t do it. He’d also be cheaper.
He's gonna sign long term unless Vancouver has another bad season and they decide to blow it up. This is just a negotiating tactic to extort more money out of the organization for next year especially because the cap is going up and trying to show how bad that organization needs him to stay so pay up.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
He's gonna sign long term unless Vancouver has another bad season and they decide to blow it up. This is just a negotiating tactic to extort more money out of the organization for next year especially because the cap is going up and trying to show how bad that organization needs him to stay so pay up.

Plus it makes him look like he is not the bad guy if he does leave. “I wanted to stay, but you guys couldn’t build a winner.”

Reactions: Indy18

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
In b4 @Viqsi talks about EP’s agent
What @squashmaple is refering to that Elias Petterson is on the no-fly list - the same representation responsible for the Seth Jones and PLD disasters and who tried to push the same with Werenski.

We used to have absolutely nobody represented by that guy. Now we have two guys - LDBB (which is part of why I don't rate him as highly as a prospect of ours), and Fantilli (which I sometimes worry about, but, well, Fantilli's a Michigan Man who wanted to play here, so I suspect if it comes to that he'll take the same approach Werenski did.)

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
What @squashmaple is refering to that Elias Petterson is on the no-fly list - the same representation responsible for the Seth Jones and PLD disasters and who tried to push the same with Werenski.

We used to have absolutely nobody represented by that guy. Now we have two guys - LDBB (which is part of why I don't rate him as highly as a prospect of ours), and Fantilli (which I sometimes worry about, but, well, Fantilli's a Michigan Man who wanted to play here, so I suspect if it comes to that he'll take the same approach Werenski did.)
I'm still surprised more of our more recent Wolverines aren't with Brisson, considering the overlap with Pat's son Brendan as a teammate.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

Anyone with subscription care to share the CBJ pic?
Screenshot_20230830-100651.png

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
What do they mean by short sighted? Signing a player to 8 years seems like a long term thing regardless if you actually like the deal or not. Turning UFA Gavrikov into 2 years of Provorov to bridge the gap on the prospects to eventually trade or keep is pretty logical to me. If they wanted to complain about something why arent they mentioning goalies? Or the depth lack of depth that caused Sillinger to be rushed.

Luckily Jarmo is being saved from himself and drafted players Tex/Voronkov are on the way to add with grit and compete. Fantilli will add in that department also. The team is on the heels of a disaster season but I feel like there is a bit more of a plan now and some direction. Im just curious to see what defenseman Babcock deems as being the odd man out and if they can swing a meaningful deal somewhat early in the season

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Anyone with subscription care to share the CBJ pic?
Jarmo not top5? The athletic hates us and the writer is biased.

What do they mean by short sighted? Signing a player to 8 years seems like a long term thing regardless if you actually like the deal or not. Turning UFA Gavrikov into 2 years of Provorov to bridge the gap on the prospects to eventually trade or keep is pretty logical to me. If they wanted to complain about something why arent they mentioning goalies? Or the depth lack of depth that caused Sillinger to be rushed.

Luckily Jarmo is being saved from himself and drafted players Tex/Voronkov are on the way to add with grit and compete. Fantilli will add in that department also. The team is on the heels of a disaster season but I feel like there is a bit more of a plan now and some direction. Im just curious to see what defenseman Babcock deems as being the odd man out and if they can swing a meaningful deal somewhat early in the season
Maybe because the team didn’t have a plan at all until they lucked into Fantilli?

Reactions: EspenK

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Jarmo not top5? The athletic hates us and the writer is biased.

Maybe because the team didn’t have a plan at all until they lucked into Fantilli?

We are very lucky.
Thats what I meant by saved from himself. But im just talking about moves. They are no more short sighted than a year ago and didnt lose a good roster player like Bjorkstrand in the process and the team was apparently ranked 9th a year ago. Im actually curious and want to look up last years list

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I think they were saying fixing an immediate problem with an 8 year deal could turn into a long term cap problem. The Provorov deal works short term and gives the team the opportunity to be done in 2 years.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
This article can be evaluated by quoting Goethe":

"All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of actual life springs ever green."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad