Speculation: Armchair GM - Offseason Thread (Summer Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Hey guys! Sorry to interrupt just coming in to see what you guys expect from Boqvist this year. I remember my brother really liking him as a prospect and just trying to gage what people who are more familiar with him think

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Hey guys! Sorry to interrupt just coming in to see what you guys expect from Boqvist this year. I remember my brother really liking him as a prospect and just trying to gage what people who are more familiar with him think
Honestly it depends on him, if he can stay healthy and get enough ice time I think he has another tier he can achieve. But I think a lot has to go his way for him to get that shot. And if he doesn't do it with in the next year or two, there might not be a spot open for him depending on how Jiricek develops.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

He's very good offensively, defensively a lightweight but he's not useless and can still learn to be better at D. Not sure how he'll fit in the plans long term because CBJ have so many offensive defensemen in the mix, but this season if he doesn't get traded he should play top 4 minutes and hopefully PP1 because he's simply better at that than Werenski is. PP works really well with Boqy so if Babcock agrees with that then he might have a big season offensively. This is a team that will score a lot of goals and I can see Boqvist getting his fair share of those.

If he's not being used in top4 and PP1 then he needs to be trade bait because he's just too good not to play good minutes, and would be a waste. He's a defensively somewhat better version of Tony DeAngelo, and a better shooter. You don't build a defense around him, but in the right role 55+ pts is reasonable

He's kinda like Karlsson in defensive end, no physicality but can get to places because he's fast enough. Offensively a light version. I can see why they were comparing the two when Boqy was drafted.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think ideally he is an offensive weapon but not a key offensive weapon that you partner with someone who is bigger and a better defender who allows him to use his offensive skills without being a liability. He would look pretty good as a 4/5 defenseman who can play a role on PP2 and doesn’t see much ice time when you have a one goal lead in the 3rd period but you put on the ice more if you have a one goal deficit in the third period. I don’t think the CBJ have a good guy to pair with him.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
At best he'll be 2RD all season long (assuming everyone is healthy). At worst he's a waiver wire guy. My expectation is he will spend most of the year in the bottom-pair and as 7D, with occasional PPQB duties.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Let's be honest with ourselves. Werenski will play PP1 because it's Werenski with a salary of over $9,000,000, although the minimum on the PP is worse, if not even on offense overall.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Let's be honest with ourselves. Werenski will play PP1 because it's Werenski with a salary of over $9,000,000, although the minimum on the PP is worse, if not even on offense overall.
iirc babcock took morgan rielly off of the leafs PP1 when he first got there so i could actually see him doing the same thing with werenski

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

I don't know if that's a thing with Babcock. He's supposedly analytical and if you compare the PP with Werenski and with Boqvist it's a huge difference. So Babs would be shooting himself in the foot by putting a worse fit in there and getting less out of the PP. The reason why I don't think Babs would do that, is because it would make the team perform worse and that would reflect poorly on him and he is a narcissist so he'd care about that part of it if nothing else.

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I'd be extremely disappointed with Babcock if that happened. It's almost like if Oilers would choose to play 9.25M Darnell Nurse on PP1 over Evan Bouchard.

I still feel Severson might be the best option for the role next season. He, Boqvist, Blankenburg and Jiricek are all likely better fits there than Werenski.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't know if that's a thing with Babcock. He's supposedly analytical and if you compare the PP with Werenski and with Boqvist it's a huge difference. So Babs would be shooting himself in the foot by putting a worse fit in there and getting less out of the PP. The reason why I don't think Babs would do that, is because it would make the team perform worse and that would reflect poorly on him and he is a narcissist so he'd care about that part of it if nothing else.
I'd be extremely disappointed with Babcock if that happened. It's almost like if Oilers would choose to play 9.25M Darnell Nurse on PP1 over Evan Bouchard.

I still feel Severson might be the best option for the role next season. He, Boqvist, Blankenburg and Jiricek are all likely better fits there than Werenski.
Optimists. Zach is untouchable. He has another status than Nurse.
Remember Tortorella, how Zach often played in PP1, although even a blind man could see that Jones was better.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Optimists. Zach is untouchable. He has another status than Nurse.
Remember Tortorella, how Zach often played in PP1, although even a blind man could see that Jones was better.

I'm just counting on Babcock to be selfish :D

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I know there’s not a lot of space, but I personally think Chinakov absolutely deserves a spot. He took a big step last year and was on pace for about 35 points. Over double his rookie production. I think he’ll solidify a middle 6 spot.

Only question for me is where is the spot? I’d personally prefer him in the lineup to Roslovic.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I know there’s not a lot of space, but I personally think Chinakov absolutely deserves a spot. He took a big step last year and was on pace for about 35 points. Over double his rookie production. I think he’ll solidify a middle 6 spot.

Only question for me is where is the spot? I’d personally prefer him in the lineup to Roslovic.
i think a lot of us think like that, but honestly Roslovic has pretty negative value, so unless he plays well I don't think anyone will want him and his $4M.
I can't imagine the CBJ sitting him (again the $4M), so I think he will play.
Sadly I still think he starts as the 2C.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

I think Chinakhov will be in the bottom-6 as secondary scoring to start out (probably with Texier).

For Roslovic, we're limited at center as is and I think people are underestimating the impact of Jenner's back problems on his ability to play center for extended stretches. Put simply, I see our center options for this coming season (in no particular order) as Fantilli, Johnson, Roslovic, Kuraly, and Voronkov. Assuming one or more of those guys falters out the door, I think the limited number of centers dictates that we will keep Roslovic in the lineup until he loses it.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

—Value and importance to the CBJ—

Werenski >/= Gaudreau > Laine

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Leafs are rumored to be interested in Peeke
saw that on twitter – no idea how legit the guy is, but if it's legit then there's a pretty obvious shape for the deal to take.

the leafs are over the cap, even after accounting for LTIR. they're not going to move their big stars or the guys they just signed. which means you'd be looking for a guy on the roster who isn't a star, recent signing or LTIR guy and makes more than peeke does ($2.75m).

there is only one guy on their roster who fits that description: tj brodie.

some notes on that:
  • has a 10-team NTC
  • 1 year left at $5m aav
  • 33 years old, best years are behind him (he was really good in calgary) but there's still some meat on the bone there
  • left handed
i am actually all about it tbh. he's definitely more of a shutdown guy nowadays, but would give them options and add to the experience they were lacking last year. would leave the jackets with four RHD (boqvist, blankenburg, gudbranson, jiricek) and his game would work well with any of those guys. seems better suited to help jiricek get his feet wet than provorov imo.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
played RD in calgary out of necessity iirc, has played both sides in toronto and is a left shot.

I recall hearing that he was one of those rare guys that are better on the offhand side, FWIW. Might not be any difference, I don't know.

The rumor doesn't quite make sense to me. It also didn't make sense to me when they brought in Klingberg.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I recall hearing that he was one of those rare guys that are better on the offhand side, FWIW. Might not be any difference, I don't know.

The rumor doesn't quite make sense to me. It also didn't make sense to me when they brought in Klingberg.
i can see how it would make sense for both sides:
  • TOR: becomes cap compliant (or gets closer), adds defenseman with size and term
  • CBJ: gets the better player, gives them an elite LHD group and some additional experience/flexibility
i REALLY like brodie as a trade target. werenski, provorov and brodie together . he adds a pure shutdown element that balances out some of the other guys in that group. very reliable, experienced defenseman. would be the ideal partner for boqvist or jiricek, although he also may be the best option to partner with werenski given his ability to play big minutes on the right side.

Option 1 (Jiricek AHL, Brodie RD)Option 2 (Jiricek AHL, Brodie LD)Option 3 (Jiricek NHL)
Werenski - Brodie
Provorov - Severson
Bean - Blankenburg/Gudbranson
Boqvist out?

- Strongest top 4 option
- Ability to shelter third pair
Werenski - Blankenburg
Provorov - Severson
Brodie - Boqvist
Gudbranson/Bean extras

- Balanced pairings
- Brodie to RD1 if Blanks gets hurt
Werenski - Severson
Provorov - Boqvist
Brodie - Jiricek
Gudbranson + Blanks/Bean extra

- Best path for Jiricek
- One of Blanks/Bean likely out

now, i'm about to get way ahead of myself here, but: this would allow them to get value for peeke AND have boqvist remain expendable. since SJS just moved out EK65, and boqvist has some term, he could be attractive to them while they rebuild. SJS also took on a bad contract (granlund) in that deal.

columbus could offer boqvist + roslovic + some futures (prospects, picks, etc) for hertl. suddenly they have a very strong roster overall. the roslovic/brodie cap hits balance out, peeke + boqvist out frees up $5m+, which helps offset hertl's contract.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
  • TOR: becomes cap compliant (or gets closer), adds defenseman with size and term
  • CBJ: gets the better player, gives them an elite LHD group and some additional experience/flexibility
i REALLY like brodie as a trade target. werenski, provorov and brodie together . he adds a pure shutdown element that balances out some of the other guys in that group. very reliable, experienced defenseman. would be the ideal partner for boqvist or jiricek, although he also may be the best option to partner with werenski given his ability to play big minutes on the right side.

Option 1 (Jiricek AHL, Brodie RD)Option 2 (Jiricek AHL, Brodie LD)Option 3 (Jiricek NHL)
Werenski - Brodie
Provorov - Severson
Boqvist out?

- Strongest top 4 option
Werenski - Blankenburg
Provorov - Severson
Brodie - Boqvist
Gudbranson/Bean extras

- Balanced pairings
Werenski - Severson
Provorov - Boqvist
Brodie - Jiricek

- Best path for Jiricek

Yeah I'd like Peeke for Brodie, but I don't see it from Toronto's end.

FWIW I think Brodie would play RD here, even though we have more depth on that side, he's good and they'll want him playing bigger minutes opposite Werenski or Provorov. That and the FO likes Bean and I doubt they're any more willing to scratch him than they are to scratch Boqvist or another right sider.

now, i'm about to get way ahead of myself here, but: this would allow them to get value for peeke AND have boqvist remain expendable. since SJS just moved out EK65, and boqvist has some term, he could be attractive to them while they rebuild. SJS also took on a bad contract (granlund) in that deal.

columbus could offer boqvist + roslovic + some futures (prospects, picks, etc) for hertl. suddenly they have a very strong roster overall. the roslovic/brodie cap hits balance out, peeke + boqvist out frees up $5m+, which helps offset hertl's contract.

Boqvist would seem to be a nice target for San Jose (and Montreal). There's some value there. I'd rather we don't take on Hertl's contract though. I think he falls off hard before we're contenders and then weighs us down.

Funny enough, San Jose is the poster child for why a team shouldn't be giving out so many 8 year deals to older players. They can put a team into a very long term rebuild. Not that Severson will go the way of Vlasic, but we're taking on a ton of risk there. I think you've said otherwise but I maintain that the extra years of term on those deals really matter a lot.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Werenski - Brodie
Provorov - Severson
Boqvist out?

- Strongest top 4 option
Werenski - Blankenburg
Provorov - Severson
Brodie - Boqvist
Gudbranson/Bean extras

- Balanced pairings
Werenski - Severson
Provorov - Boqvist
Brodie - Jiricek

- Best path for Jiricek

Toronto's been leaning enough on Brodie stabilizing their blueline that I don't think they're in a hurry to give him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad