Speculation: Armchair GM - Offseason Thread (Summer Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I would imagine 99% of fans at the arena don't have that info and if it was a random person in a crowd it's not exactly easy to spot or know exactly who said what. And as CBJW said, once the words came out of their mouth the damage was done. Nothing that CBJ or CPD do is going to make the Merzlikins feel safe about bringing their child to the rink after that and now that mental toll is on Elvis for every home game.
If people can't find it it's on them. It took me 20 seconds to find it. I would bet the wives have it programmed in thier phones, if they don't, again, it's on them. Also, the team should have people in place by the wives knowing that things like this can happen. Most places have sections in which wives get seated, so you just put security there. In today's day with the phones and cameras it should be known that you can get security quickly.

As far as weighing on Elvis, he has to get past it. I googled yesterday about death threats because I was remembering the guy from the Capitals that scored a OT series winner and was getting death threats because of it. Joel Ward it was. I did a vague search and saw how Ovechkin was getting them, other Russian born players, even Branden Manning from the Flyers was getting them for hitting McDavid and injuring him.

I know it is the players getting the threats, but these clowns know who thier wives and families are, so everyone would be at risk. It would weigh on all these guys, and they figured out a way to go on.

Reactions: thebus88

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
If people can't find it it's on them. It took me 20 seconds to find it. I would bet the wives have it programmed in thier phones, if they don't, again, it's on them. Also, the team should have people in place by the wives knowing that things like this can happen. Most places have sections in which wives get seated, so you just put security there. In today's day with the phones and cameras it should be known that you can get security quickly.

As far as weighing on Elvis, he has to get past it. I googled yesterday about death threats because I was remembering the guy from the Capitals that scored a OT series winner and was getting death threats because of it. Joel Ward it was. I did a vague search and saw how Ovechkin was getting them, other Russian born players, even Branden Manning from the Flyers was getting them for hitting McDavid and injuring him.

I know it is the players getting the threats, but these clowns know who thier wives and families are, so everyone would be at risk. It would weigh on all these guys, and they figured out a way to go on.
Again you're making a broad generalization that everyone is built the same way or that because they are pro players they should be able to just easily get passed it. But our new coach who has been heavily criticized on that even agrees that every single person on the teams needs not only their own personalized training regiment, but their own mental health plan. I'm sure it's something that is going to be or already has been addressed.

Reactions: Viqsi

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I imagine someone might consider stepping in. I'm not sure if they'd actually follow through, and I'm not sure it'd actually make much difference in the end. Either way it's Not Okay regardless.
Agreed. Nobody is saying that it is.

Well my point is, even if that guy counts as saying something (which he was one of the people laughing), the damage is already done.

So even if someone stepped in or stood up for her/Elvis, it’s not like that just magically makes things better.
My point is, having that person banned from games probably helps.

My second point is, I think they could find that fan rather easily and would be justified in doing so.

Third point, if it was as bad as they say, I think there would be an emphasis on finding the individual.

Last edited:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Again you're making a broad generalization that everyone is built the same way or that because they are pro players they should be able to just easily get passed it. But our new coach who has been heavily criticized on that even agrees that every single person on the teams needs not only their own personalized training regiment, but their own mental health plan. I'm sure it's something that is going to be or already has been addressed.
I haven't said anyone is built the same way. I know everyone goes through grieving different. At some point Elvis has to move on because if it is effecting his on ice play, eventually Columbus may move on. I mean, that is what happened with Legace, right? We are all worried about Elvis' well being, but what about Manny's. He was there too, Kiv was like a son to him, it happened at his house, he carries that weight, but we needed to get him out of the picture to help Elvis. No one is saying we needed to help him also, it was he needs to go because he is a distraction to Elvis. So I guess it comes down to who people want here. I like Elvis and hope he can turn it around, but part of doing that is coming to grips with what happened and moving on.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If you go to TellNWA.com it gives you space to type in what you need and you can send a photo also. Nationwide Arena Security Policies
Where did you find this information? I went to the Blue Jackets website and didn't find it in the "guest safety and security" section.

If people can't find it it's on them. It took me 20 seconds to find it.
Did you find it on your phone? At an event? While the abusive fan behavior was taking place?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Where did you find this information? I went to the Blue Jackets website and didn't find it in the "guest safety and security" section.
If you search “report issue” in the chat it also gives you the option to report something. “Should you need immediate assistance, guests are encouraged to report issues and concerns to the nearest event staff member or use our Guest TEXT Messaging Service by texting EVENT to 37664”

I would assume they are separated because that NWA link seems linked to the arena, not the team.

I can’t remember, do they talk about the number to call during intermissions?
Did you find it on your phone? At an event? While the abusive fan behavior was taking place?
The ushers are a good resource. Or any other contacts within the org on your phone. I think it’s reasonable to assume they know some sort of emergency/issue/reporting number, or at least where to access it.

I can’t imagine that there isn’t a decent security team in areas where spouses/families sit. Per the CBA, players are given 2 tickets per every home game, so I doubt the seats are random.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017

I found it on my phone. Nationwide website, guest services, a-z guide, code of conduct. There is a link there to NHL code of conduct, go to security services and the TellNWA link is there. I found it after you asked because I also wanted to know. I took the long way to find it, but had I been at a game, I probably would have took a picture of the person, then found an usher. Now that I know about the link I just favorited it to get there faster..

Reactions: MAHJ71 and thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If you search “report issue” in the chat it also gives you the option to report something. “Should you need immediate assistance, guests are encouraged to report issues and concerns to the nearest event staff member or use our Guest TEXT Messaging Service by texting EVENT to 37664”

I would assume they are separated because that NWA link seems linked to the arena, not the team.

I can’t remember, do they talk about the number to call during intermissions?

The ushers are a good resource. Or any other contacts within the org on your phone. I think it’s reasonable to assume they know some sort of emergency/issue/reporting number, or at least where to access it.

I can’t imagine that there isn’t a decent security team in areas where spouses/families sit. Per the CBA, players are given 2 tickets per every home game, so I doubt the seats are random.
I'm not sure what chat to which you are referring. I feel like this topic is played out so I'm done after this reply.

It's clear I've been trying to get at the challenges faced by people needing to let someone in a position to do something about it that there is certain behavior taking place. Of course there are solutions to that, and maybe the team has the families covered. In the end, we don't have first-hand knowledge of any of that. "A lot of points are being qualified with "I assume" or "I can't imagine," when saying that Aleksandra could have done something to create a safer environment for herself and her child.

That's a lot of equivocating to support the notion that the whole matter was no big deal.

I will now wait until we have another already-litigated topic to re-litigate.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I found it on my phone. Nationwide website, guest services, a-z guide, code of conduct. There is a link there to NHL code of conduct, go to security services and the TellNWA link is there. I found it after you asked because I also wanted to know. I took the long way to find it, but had I been at a game, I probably would have took a picture of the person, then found an usher. Now that I know about the link I just favorited it to get there faster..
That's a lot of links to navigate, especially in the heat of a moment, and I agree that finding an usher is probably a better solution.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
That's a lot of links to navigate, especially in the heat of a moment, and I agree that finding an usher is probably a better solution.
Yeah, there was no pressure and I also wanted to see if there was a way. I found it a lot quicker than it takes me to type a post.

I am thinking they put it up on the scoreboard before games, but most people don't pay attention. I know before Browns games they make an announcement and put the info on the scoreboard. We just text our rep at Monster games and they are pretty quick about it.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Give me a break :eyeroll:
Actually comical that you would post that.
It's comical that I would point out that you know nothing for certain and are basing your position on a topic on things you are assuming but are not in evidence?

Wait, I agree with you. It's comical that this would need to even be mentioned.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
It's comical that I would point out that you know nothing for certain and are basing your position on a topic on things you are assuming but are not in evidence?
Where is the evidence that this event occurred as Mrs. Merzlinkins described it?

I am asking the question as to why nobody was outed, if the event was this serious? I think that it is a fair question.

If the claim is true, then there are multiple layers sharing the “blame” as to why the individual was not found. If that’s the case, I think steps should be taken to ensure it doesn’t happen again seeing that it violates their fan code of conduct:

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Where is the evidence that this event occurred as Mrs. Merzlinkins described it?

I am asking the question as to why nobody was outed, if the event was this serious? I think that it is a fair question.

If the claim is true, then there are multiple layers sharing the “blame” as to why the individual was not found. If that’s the case, I think steps should be taken to ensure it doesn’t happen again.
I don't know the answer to why "nobody was outed" but I am not using that to presume then that there was no "event as Mrs. Merzlikins described it."

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
I don't know the answer to why "nobody was outed" but I am not using that to presume then that there was no "event as Mrs. Merzlikins described it."
That’s why I was agreeing with the poster when they said “I still highly doubt this actually happened the way Elvis and his wife think it happened.”

I’m not saying something didn’t happen. I just have a hard time seeing someone making that comment directly to a player’s spouse, and something not being done about it.

This topic doesn’t belong in this thread, sorry.

Last edited:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
That’s why I was agreeing with the poster when they said “I still highly doubt this actually happened the way Elvis and his wife think it happened.”

I’m not saying something didn’t happen. I just have a hard time seeing someone making that comment directly to a player’s spouse, and something not being done about it.

This topic doesn’t belong in this thread, sorry.
So you're essentially calling her a liar?

Why would she go onto IG and make a big deal about it, knowing that it would become a big deal?

If it HAPPENED TO HER how else could it be misconstrued?!

Screenshot_20230726-155112.png

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
A scene from the 50s in a movie from the 90s ...
Boys: Mrs Merzlikins your husband is a sieve and your baby has big ears!
Uncle Johnny: Now now boys, you go apologize! Maam, are you ok?
Mrs. Merzlikins smiles and everyone has milk and cookies.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
So you're essentially calling her a liar?

Why would she go onto IG and make a big deal about it, knowing that it would become a big deal?

If it HAPPENED TO HER how else could it be misconstrued?!

View attachment 731435
There is no chance someone in Columbus, Ohio at NWA said to her face, "you, your kid, and your husband should die". Especially in the seats she's probably sitting in. I'm sure she's surrounded by nothing but VIPs and corporate seats.

I've never heard anything anywhere near that crass from a CBJ fan in NWA. Pens fans are a different story. Most of the talk in NWA is "what is icing?". On Twitter or Instagram, maybe some keyboard cowboy said it. I could definitely see it in that cess pool.

99.999% of fans wouldn't have a clue who she is if they saw her in person. I sure wouldn't.

EDIT- the only way I could see it in person in NWA is under the following scenario: Random Drunk Fan- "Elvis you suck!" Elvis's Wife- "That's my husband and this baby's father you asshole". Random Drunk Fan- "Then you all suck and you should go die."

In that scenario, the wife of the player needs to STFU or deal with the blowback. I'm sure every wife/family of every professional player throughout the history of pro sports has had to learn how to deal with fans chirping the person they love. Either deal with it or don't go to the games and watch them at home in your mansion.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88 and DJA

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
There is no chance someone in Columbus, Ohio at NWA said to her face, "you, your kid, and your husband should die". Especially in the seats she's probably sitting in. I'm sure she's surrounded by nothing but VIPs and corporate seats.

I've never heard anything anywhere near that crass from a CBJ fan in NWA. Pens fans are a different story. Most of the talk in NWA is "what is icing?". On Twitter or Instagram, maybe some keyboard cowboy said it. I could definitely see it in that cess pool.

99.999% of fans wouldn't have a clue who she is if they saw her in person. I sure wouldn't.
You do realize Columbus has a MASSIVE Pittsburgh fan base right? And that more than just CBJ fans go to games? Literally every game I go to me and my buddy point out all the jerseys of teams who aren't even playing that people wear. But it's cool we're just completely discrediting his wife now. Which only further proves my point. Why would she want to come to games if CBJ fans don't even believe her story, which only fuels Elvis' problems if he sees her distraught.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
And, by the way, who in the Hell takes a one year old to a hockey game!?

You do realize Columbus has a MASSIVE Pittsburgh fan base right? And that more than just CBJ fans go to games? Literally every game I go to me and my buddy point out all the jerseys of teams who aren't even playing that people wear. But it's cool we're just completely discrediting his wife now. Which only further proves my point. Why would she want to come to games if CBJ fans don't even believe her story, which only fuels Elvis' problems if he sees her distraught.
Really!? There are people in other jerseys at our home games? I had no idea. Thanks for educating me.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
On Elvis as a player. It would be interesting to know how his teammates feel about him, whether they trust him or not.

About his wife, I don't know if she's right or not (although I don't know why she would make up such a thing), but if she's worried, maybe it's questionable whether Elvis should continue here or not. The club can take a million precautions, the family will never be sure, which may reflect on his play.

And a backup goalie. Judging by the plans, they want to sign a goalie who could play in the AHL. But that will be hard enough, they need a player they can send to the AHL at any time. That means players like Halak are out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad