Speculation: Armchair GM - Offseason Thread (Summer Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Having a body builder as a conditioning coach is weird to me. Training for bodybuilding, strength and speed/power are 3 different things. Dude probably has more of a background than just the bodybuilding Im guessing

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Having a body builder as a conditioning coach is weird to me. Training for bodybuilding, strength and speed/power are 3 different things. Dude probably has more of a background than just the bodybuilding Im guessing
Yes. His clients include other hockey players, Kaprizov, Radulov, Kovalchuk... He was the conditioning coach of the Russian team at one EHT tournament. Just so you understand correctly, the Russians get together before the tournament and train conditioning as well, not just come, play, leave.

Reactions: thebus88 and LJ7

InfiniteElement

Jan 4, 2019
Wonder if there's anything recent on the Lindholm front. May be some competition with Boston and their recent need, but we could probably outbid them.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Wonder if there's anything recent on the Lindholm front. May be some competition with Boston and their recent need, but we could probably outbid them.
I don’t see any reason why Calgary wouldn’t go into the season with him. The west is so wide open. Might as well see what team you have, and at worst trade him (and Hanifin) during the season

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

614 CBJ

Sponsor
Jul 12, 2022
Raleigh, NC
he NEEDS to find a creative way to get rid of Jack

never will develop into a complete NHL player, not even close

Last edited:

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Back-up goalie with experience to play in Cleveland - what's J.F. Berube up to these days?
He played very well for CBJ a couple seasons ago - he fits this very well.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Back-up goalie with experience to play in Cleveland - what's J.F. Berube up to these days?
He played very well for CBJ a couple seasons ago - he fits this very well.
Berube is without a team as far as I know. As long as he plays behind Greaves here I would be fine with it. They need to let young guys play in Cleveland and work to become good. Not having a guy to go to Columbus and be backup while a guy like Tarasov and/or Greaves keep getting time to play here, has really hurt.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Berube is without a team as far as I know. As long as he plays behind Greaves here I would be fine with it. They need to let young guys play in Cleveland and work to become good. Not having a guy to go to Columbus and be backup while a guy like Tarasov and/or Greaves keep getting time to play here, has really hurt.
I wouldn't be against going and grabbing a couple cheap guys. One as a backup/tweener and another for depth/competition in Cleveland.

I think a guy like Adam Scheel might be a good reclamation project, young(24) goalie who had a great NCAA career but has struggled professionally.

Departs UND as the program's career leader in GAA (1.95), second in winning percentage (.729), fifth in save percentage (.916), seventh in wins (52) and sixth in shutouts (7).

Looks like he struggled a bit in the AHL but went down to the echl and absolutely dominated. I'd love to have him sit in Cleveland for a season or two and see if we could get him to rebound. Did I mention...he's from Ohio?

Obviously this doesn't help us this year or next but could put another body with potential in the system.

*This is 100% stat watching while on break, please inform me if I'm missing something* :laugh:

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Screenshot_2023-07-31-17-29-25-645_com.instagram.android.jpg
Screenshot_2023-07-31-17-29-08-455_com.instagram.android.jpg

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I wouldn't be against going and grabbing a couple cheap guys. One as a backup/tweener and another for depth/competition in Cleveland.

I think a guy like Adam Scheel might be a good reclamation project, young(24) goalie who had a great NCAA career but has struggled professionally.

Looks like he struggled a bit in the AHL but went down to the echl and absolutely dominated. I'd love to have him sit in Cleveland for a season or two and see if we could get him to rebound. Did I mention...he's from Ohio?

Obviously this doesn't help us this year or next but could put another body with potential in the system.

*This is 100% stat watching while on break, please inform me if I'm missing something* :laugh:
I looked up Scheel at AHL website and his last two appearances were something. His first game early in the season he gave up 3 goals in the first 4 minutes and didn't play in the AHL until March. The only reason he got in that game is because the starting goalie got in a fight and was ejected for being a secondary altercation. Scheel came in and gave up 2 goals in the last 5 minutes. LOL. His first two AHL seasons weren't awful, not sure what his issues are.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
  • Haha
Reactions: LJ7 and Xoggz22

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Dom doing his annual Columbus sucks and everyone else rocks ranks us 30th. While some of his article has some validity, I can think of many organizations that are much worse.
I've stopped reading his articles. Not because what they say about CBJ but more that I think they are too myopic and narrow to conclude what he tends to conclude. Most seem like in a vacuum type articles with either nothing considered or something fairly obscure to determine an overall "performance" metric. They just make me more annoyed than something to ponder... That's just me though.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I looked up Scheel at AHL website and his last two appearances were something. His first game early in the season he gave up 3 goals in the first 4 minutes and didn't play in the AHL until March. The only reason he got in that game is because the starting goalie got in a fight and was ejected for being a secondary altercation. Scheel came in and gave up 2 goals in the last 5 minutes. LOL. His first two AHL seasons weren't awful, not sure what his issues are.
He's definitely an interesting case and not someone I would rely on but it could make for an interesting reclamation project. I wonder if there's off ice issues or something going on

Reactions: Monstershockey

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I've stopped reading his articles. Not because what they say about CBJ but more that I think they are too myopic and narrow to conclude what he tends to conclude. Most seem like in a vacuum type articles with either nothing considered or something fairly obscure to determine an overall "performance" metric. They just make me more annoyed than something to ponder... That's just me though.
I'm at the point where I don't know whether to pity or hate him. If he has any sense whatsoever of pride in his work it's got to be killing him at this point.

Reactions: LJ7 and Xoggz22

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Dom doing his annual Columbus sucks and everyone else rocks ranks us 30th. While some of his article has some validity, I can think of many organizations that are much worse.
Yeah that Dom guy is a real idiot.
He says the CBJ will suck each year and well look at our record...

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I'm at the point where I don't know whether to pity or hate him. If he has any sense whatsoever of pride in his work it's got to be killing him at this point.
He’s much too smug and self-assured. It’s his critics who are wrong. He’s a genius.

Yeah, a genius who makes the entire Athletic NHL apparatus weaker when other writers collaborate with him or use his myopic stats and poor analysis for arguments. Everything he produces boils down to “bad team bad!! good team good!! no nuances!!”

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah that Dom guy is a real idiot.
He says the CBJ will suck each year and well look at our record...
This board is made a better place thanks to insightful, reasoned, and well-thought-out analysis like this.

(disclaimer: the above sentence may or may not have been a pack of outrageous lies)

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
His stuff is interesting to read but it’s just his opinion surrounding his own numbers. I think he had Boston as a bad team last year. He has hits and misses like everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad