Speculation: Armchair GM - Offseason Thread (Summer Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
They still lack that forward to be afraid of and have to sign Seider+ Raymond next summer, that’s 18-20M combined if they want them both on longterm contracts

They still have plenty of cap space. Plus Perron and the Ghost Bear are UFAs this season. Plus $2.6 million is coming off the books for Vrana. I expect them to sign Seider and Raymond to longterm contracts and have plenty of money to do so. And when it is time for Kasper and Edvinsson to have their second contracts, Holl, Chiarot, and Walman have expiring contracts.

It is almost like there is an Yzerplan and he has signed some filler guys to contracts to keep the pressure of his young talent so he doesn’t have to rush the young guys, but he has structured the contracts of these filler guys so they expire right when he needs cap space for the young guys.

Reactions: EspenK

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They still have plenty of cap space. Plus Perron and the Ghost Bear are UFAs this season. Plus $2.6 million is coming off the books for Vrana. I expect them to sign Seider and Raymond to longterm contracts and have plenty of money to do so. And when it is time for Kasper and Edvinsson to have their second contracts, Holl, Chiarot, and Walman have expiring contracts.

It is almost like there is an Yzerplan and he has signed some filler guys to contracts to keep the pressure of his young talent so he doesn’t have to rush the young guys, but he has structured the contracts of these filler guys so they expire right when he needs cap space for the young guys.

It’s funny that when Columbus is doing the same there’s no plan…….

& how is Detroit going to find that franchise forward, with what cap and assets?

All the players to mentioned will need to be replaced and pay 18-20M for Seider+ Raymond+ somehow the cap for superstar forward.

They are building offensively a low ceiling team.
Devils, Buffalo are building teams with much more firepower and Columbus is building an offense with higher ceiling as well while being able to match their defensive potential.

But Columbus doesn’t have a plan and Steve is genius

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

& how is Detroit going to find that franchise forward, with what cap and assets?

All the players to mentioned will need to be replaced and pay 18-20M for Seider+ Raymond+ somehow the cap for superstar forward.

Devils, Buffalo are building teams with much more firepower and Columbus is building an offense with higher ceiling as well while being able to match their defensive potential.

Perception rules everywhere in life unfortunately

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I know the Jarmo-haters have a different opinion, but I think we have a good team. We must not forget that due to inexperience Larsen did not use the potential of the most players. On the contrary, Babcock is an experienced coach who is not only a perfect tactician but also has a good training process, and very importantly, he pays attention to every little thing. Including how a player should hold his stick, use his body, etc. in each situation. Also, he's a winner, very goal-oriented. One won't settle for even slightly above average work.

The only thing I'm worried about are the goalies. Tarasov is a great goalie, but he needs to be healthy to practice, to keep his shape. I don't have a lot of confidence in Elvis, but I like to be pleasantly surprised. Because if Backstrom and improved defense doesn't help him.... I don't know. The East is very strong, every point, even OT wins/goal differential can decide who plays in the PO.

P.S. I hope Elvis won't be in the photo on the front entrance more. Preferably, not on any. ;)

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

We can keep arguing about Columbus vs Detroit rebuilding if you want. I think Yzerman is doing a great job with what he took over. And he already built a great team in the Lightning. Meanwhile we have Jarmo and JD.

Detroit’s young defense is better than our young defense. They are also drafting plenty of 2nd and 3rd round defensemen with size and defensive awareness to complement Seider and Edvinsson. They have two highly drafted goalies in the pipeline. If they need to add a 5’11” puck moving veteran defenseman in a few years, that is not hard to find. If we need to add a 6’3” defenseman with a mean streak and defensive awareness, that is much more expensive. We have Werenski, but he is coming off a major injury.

The major difference between are offenses moving forward is they have an established 1c on a fantastic contract and we have a young guy who looks like he could become a 1c. People like to crap on Larkin, but he is a fine 1c. We would love to have him. We have more depth at wings, but you can always as wings, as Yzerman did yesterday.

Yzerman seems to have a knack for setting up his contracts so they expire right when they need them to. Jarmo doesn’t seem to put as much planning into contract expiration as Yzerman. People have reacted to a couple of his contracts like they are crap, but they haven’t gone and looked at how he has everything laid out. It is like he has a plan he is trying to execute to get to a specific type team he wants to have.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Jarmo doesn’t seem to put as much planning into contract expiration as Yzerman.

Jarmo - damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Is it the same people damning him? I dunno.

We can sit around complaining about the contracts but on the flip side, we'd be sitting around complaining about the lack of contracts. I legitimately think if he didn't give out the 'extra' folks are griping about, we wouldn't have the contracts at all.

If you honestly think Jarmo, and his staff, aren't doing a shitload of planning & strategy, then I don't know what to tell ya.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
We can keep arguing about Columbus vs Detroit rebuilding if you want. I think Yzerman is doing a great job with what he took over. And he already built a great team in the Lightning. Meanwhile we have Jarmo and JD.

Detroit’s young defense is better than our young defense. They are also drafting plenty of 2nd and 3rd round defensemen with size and defensive awareness to complement Seider and Edvinsson. They have two highly drafted goalies in the pipeline. If they need to add a 5’11” puck moving veteran defenseman in a few years, that is not hard to find. If we need to add a 6’3” defenseman with a mean streak and defensive awareness, that is much more expensive. We have Werenski, but he is coming off a major injury.

The major difference between are offenses moving forward is they have an established 1c on a fantastic contract and we have a young guy who looks like he could become a 1c. People like to crap on Larkin, but he is a fine 1c. We would love to have him. We have more depth at wings, but you can always as wings, as Yzerman did yesterday.

Yzerman seems to have a knack for setting up his contracts so they expire right when they need them to. Jarmo doesn’t seem to put as much planning into contract expiration as Yzerman. People have reacted to a couple of his contracts like they are crap, but they haven’t gone and looked at how he has everything laid out. It is like he has a plan he is trying to execute to get to a specific type team he wants to have.
Compare the incomparable. Players go to Detroit more willingly than they go to Columbus, which is why Jarmo has had to give less than ideal contracts.

To the players, they are all prospects that may look nice on paper, but will they actually be? You also forgot that there are trades and this draft wasn't the last.

Regarding the plan. Jarmo only started to rebuild the team from the 2021/22 season. Until then, the roster was more guided by the wishes of what type of players Torts wanted to see on the team.

Reactions: MissADD

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City

Detroit is always ahead of Columbus in the rebuild. They have been rebuilding since 2016-17 season. Columbus started rebuilding in the 2021-22 season. Columbus's rebuild got a jump start because Jarmo took Chicago to the cleaners in the Seth Jones trade. Columbus had a 1c in the building, but he wanted out, and with what just happened in Winnipeg, that may be a good thing.

As far as just having Jarmo and JD, they did a great job the 1st time around. They made the playoffs half the seasons Jarmo has been here and more than half those 2 have been together. Making the playoffs 5 time and 4 in the row is no small feat, especially taking into account the Metro has basically been a gauntlet every year since its creation. A perfect example is the 108 point season. They finished 4th in the NHL and 3rd in the Metro. That happened once since the 2002-2003 season where 3 of the top 4 teams are in the same division. Normally 108 points gets you home ice in the 1st round, but nope because Metro.

I think you are being way to cynical about things when Detroit and Columbus are at 2 very different points in their rebuild.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Jarmo - damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Is it the same people damning him? I dunno.

I can only speak for myself, but I used to be one of the biggest Jarmo fanboys on here. I defended him over and over. But he started to lose me a couple of seasons ago, and now he has lost me completely. Columbus should fire Jarmo, JD, and Mike Priest and anyone else and bring in a new leadership group from the outside. I think Jarmo deserves to be a GM, and I would hope he would be hired somewhere else, but it is beyond time for him to move on.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I can only speak for myself, but I used to be one of the biggest Jarmo fanboys on here. I defended him over and over. But he started to lose me a couple of seasons ago, and now he has lost me completely. Columbus should fire Jarmo, JD, and Mike Priest and anyone else and bring in a new leadership group from the outside. I think Jarmo deserves to be a GM, and I would hope he would be hired somewhere else, but it is beyond time for him to move on.

OK. I'm just pointing out that you, like everyone, don't know how extensive his planning process is. You've given real examples before so no need to do so here, but it's a pet peeve of mine when posters justify positions with unknown factors - like making assumptions about how much planning any GM does or doesn't do and then comparing them. You're comparing the results, and that's fine.

Reactions: thebus88 and koteka

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
As far as just having Jarmo and JD, they did a great job the 1st time around.

I agree.

I think they are taking a different approach this time around, and I don’t think it is as good. For example, our drafting has changed. I wrote up this a few days after our draft this year.

GDT: - 2023 NHL Draft

It appears to me that we have changed out drafting strategy from looking for value among European players to looking for value among small North Americans. Personally I would rather look for the next Bjorkstrand or Gavrikov than pick guys like Malatesta and Dumais. I don’t mind taking the occasional flyer on a small guy, but we seem to have stopped looking for Texiers or Marchenkos.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

Detroit also hasn't drafted any remarkable offensive talent under Yzerman at all. DeBrincat fell in his lap. They're building a team Torts would love, with big defensemen and bigger goalies, a 1C that would be a 2C on any respectable contender, and a lot of grinder types. Some of this is a lack of draft lottery luck when the team was at its nadir, so they missed out on more explosive talents, and some of it is unforced errors like taking Zadina when QHughes, Boqvist, and Dobson were sitting right there. I still think the Yzerplan will work out and produce some playoff teams, but because of that lack of luck, Detroit won't resemble the Tampa teams Yzerman built because they just simply don't have a Stamkos and a Hedman (no, Seider is not a Hedman), and they need to get very lucky with one of Cossa or Augustine.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Detroit also hasn't drafted any remarkable offensive talent under Yzerman at all. DeBrincat fell in his lap. They're building a team Torts would love, with big defensemen and bigger goalies, a 1C that would be a 2C on any respectable contender, and a lot of grinder types. Some of this is a lack of draft lottery luck when the team was at its nadir, so they missed out on more explosive talents, and some of it is unforced errors like taking Zadina when QHughes, Boqvist, and Dobson were sitting right there. I still think the Yzerplan will work out and produce some playoff teams, but because of that lack of luck, Detroit won't resemble the Tampa teams Yzerman built because they just simply don't have a Stamkos and a Hedman (no, Seider is not a Hedman), and they need to get very lucky with one of Cossa or Augustine.

They need one of their goalies to hit. What they really need to replicate the success of Tampa is a to find a Point or Kucherov. Having a guy like Buium or Cleveland turn into an Erik Cernak would be a big plus, too.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I agree.

I think they are taking a different approach this time around, and I don’t think it is as good. For example, our drafting has changed. I wrote up this a few days after our draft this year.

It appears to me that we have changed out drafting strategy from looking for value among European players to looking for value among small North Americans. Personally I would rather look for the next Bjorkstrand or Gavrikov than pick guys like Malatesta and Dumais. I don’t mind taking the occasional flyer on a small guy, but we seem to have stopped looking for Texiers or Marchenkos.
Bjorkstrand is underweight, just happens to be a bit taller and why cant the next Bjorkstrand be North American?
Malatesta and Dumais were the only undersized skater in each draft so again a weird complaint. We should just go back to the era of drafting where every every tall defenseman is the next Chara.
Dolzhenkov must be a top prospect because he is our biggest

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I agree.

I don't disagree with your post here. However, I will say that the examples you cited were picks after the premium rounds (Bjorkstrand and Gavrikov), whereas Texier and Marchenko were both premium round picks (2nd). We didn't know Brjorkstrand would be a top 6 guys - the hope was he would get there (and did, one of my favorite players). However, he wasn't much bigger than Dumais in his draft year (2" taller but 10 pounds lighter). Different players but both could end up in the same situation, we simply don't know with Dumais yet - for example (and also for the record, I was not a fan of Dumais until seeing his recent play).

I don't think they have given up looking for these. On the contrary, I think they are still there. I tend to like to look at the late round players and while maybe they dont' end up in Columbus, I think they've had some success with pulling talent and to your point of looking for the next Gavrikov or Tex or Marchenko (in general), I see guys like Voronkov and Svozil that were 3rd round or later and appear to be on the track to NHL contributors and maybe more along with the Gavrikov-esque dart throws that look promising like Dolzhenkov, Makarov, Richard and Del Bel Belluz (less dart throw but still unknown for upside).

So, I don't disagree with some of the philosphy change, I think it's the TYPE of player - especially this year - that they have narrowed in on for this building cycle but also think they have some players that I watch that look like they could pay off pretty big - that risk portion much like Gavrikov was.

My future favorites.... McKown and Peddle. Somethign about these two could be bullseyes. I'm not an expert, obviously, but these guys have something that feels more like Texier and Marchenko upside but as later round picks (or free agent).

In short, I get what you are saying I'm just not sure it's as pronounced (to me) as you currently see it. Maybe I'm short sighted on this and just the optimist but I see depth, skill, grit and a fight for roster spots for many years to come to pick the long term core.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Personally I would rather look for the next Bjorkstrand or Gavrikov than pick guys like Malatesta and Dumais. I don’t mind taking the occasional flyer on a small guy, but we seem to have stopped looking for Texiers or Marchenkos.
i think everyone would rather have the two guys who turned into established quality NHL players over two kids who haven't.

they definitely haven't stopped looking for those guys – their approach to the draft has gotten a lot better over the last few years imo. they used to prioritize size over everything, which led to picks like:
  • rychel
  • heatherington
  • collins
  • carlsson
  • bittner
  • stenlund
  • peeke
their biggest draft successes were skill guys who also happened to have size (dubois, werenski) but they also had success with guys like bjorkstrand, wennberg, etc. who were skill/IQ guys. so now their approach is to take guys who already have NHL-level skill/hockey IQ and add strength/refine the details. it's a more sustainable approach.

even if that's not their exact approach, they've certainly gravitated toward guys who are similar as prospects to the guys they've had success with in the past:
  • bjorkstrand (undersized skill): brindley, whitelaw, pinelli, dumais
  • marchenko/tex (bigger skill but longer path): chinakhov, dolzhenkov, del bel belluz, ceulemans
  • gavrikov (mobile d with size): richard, makarov, bjorgvik-holm, hjorth
  • nutivaara (skinny puck-moving d): strathmann, svozil, knazko, johannesson, berni
  • anderson (speed/compete combo): peddle, fisher, malatesta, rysavy, pyyhtia
as far as 'looking for the next bjorkstrand' – jordan dumais is about as perfect of a parallel as you can find. same round, same draft profile (undersized but productive CHL winger), same trajectory (lit up juniors in their D+1). bjorkstrand had to go back for his D+2 season due to age rules, dumais seems to be set for that same path.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Larkin is a low end 1C& Fantillis ceiling is far higher than that. We are talking top5 C in the game potential.

What forward does teams have to be afraid of in Detroit?

Florida, Tkachuk- Barkov
Toronto, Marner- Matthews
Devils, Hughes- Meier
Buffalo, Thompson- Tuch
Ottawa, Stutzle- Tkachuk.

Detroit still has nothing to answer that

& again what makes Detroits defense so much better moving forward?

Werenski
Jiricek
Mateychuk
Svozil
Severson
Provorov
How exactly does Detroits defense have such a higher ceiling? That list has 2 potential 1D’s, one of them already is proven and all the others can be top4 D’s.

Columbus signs 2 proven top4 Dmen to improve their roster and make sure they don’t have to rush the kids yet the comments are well no idea what they are doing, no idea about their plan.
But when Detroit signs inferior Dmen to bad contracts it’s damm I really like Detroits plan, they are bringing in players to shelter the younger players.

Columbus has only 3 longterm deals on the books and all for quality players. There’s ton of cap dropping off the books in the next 1-4 years but again Detroits cap is in better situation moving forward?
This team is about to have 3 elc years from Fantilli& Jiricek and have a top 2/3 prospect pool in the league.

With some Jarmo can just never win

Reactions: Viqsi and jogurtti

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

We can sit around complaining about the contracts but on the flip side, we'd be sitting around complaining about the lack of contracts. I legitimately think if he didn't give out the 'extra' folks are griping about, we wouldn't have the contracts at all.

If you honestly think Jarmo, and his staff, aren't doing a shitload of planning & strategy, then I don't know what to tell ya.

I really don’t understand that comment honestly.

Provorov has 2 years left at 5M. One of Mateychuk/Svozil should be able to step into top4 role by then and on elc.

Roslovic 1 year left at 4M
Gubranson 3 years left at 4M
Peeke 3 years left at 2.75M
Boqvist 2 years left at 2.6M
Merz 4 years left at 5.4M

Like there isn’t a massive amount of ”useless” cap dropping off the books around the time Fantilli& Jiricek need to get paid. Also the cap should be up by 10M+ by that point.

Also
Laine 3 years left at 8.7M
Provorov 2 years left at 5M
Jenner 3 years left 3.75M

Don’t give them plenty of options with the cap moving forward?

This team has only 3 longterm deals on the books for crying out load yet they are doomed

Reactions: Marioesque

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Also Yzerman got the job in Tampa 2010.

Tampa had drafted Stamkos at 1 in 2008
Tampa had drafted Hedman at 2 in 2009
In 2010 they also had the 6th overall pick.

You’d think starting as a Gm with Stamkos& Hedman already in the building is a pretty nice start?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Larkin is a low end 1C& Fantillis ceiling is far higher than that. We are talking top5 C in the game potential.

Florida, Tkachuk- Barkov
Devils, Hughes- Meier
Buffalo, Thompson- Tuch

Werenski
Jiricek
Mateychuk
Svozil
Severson
Provorov
How exactly does Detroits defense have such a higher ceiling? That list has 2 potential 1D’s, one of them already is proven and all the others can be top4 D’s.

Columbus signs 2 proven top4 Dmen to improve their roster and make sure they don’t have to rush the kids yet the comments are well no idea what they are doing, no idea about their plan.
But when Detroit signs inferior Dmen to bad contracts it’s damm I really like Detroits plan, they are bringing in players to shelter the younger players.

Columbus has only 3 longterm deals on the books and all for quality players. There’s ton of cap dropping off the books in the next 1-4 years but again Detroits cap is in better situation moving forward?
This team is about to have 3 elc years from Fantilli& Jiricek and have a top 2/3 prospect pool in the league.

Yeah but Detroits defensemen are taller

Reactions: Monk

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

We have so few veterans. I would have been happy to hear it if we had brought Gus back for a couple years.

Part of the reason I'm optimistic though is that Babs did really well with a super young lineup in Toronto. They turned it around quick, so maybe we can too. Ordinarily I'd expect a lot more issues and delays while we wait for the young players to figure it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJWerenski8

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Florida, Tkachuk- Barkov
Devils, Hughes- Meier
Buffalo, Thompson- Tuch

Werenski
Jiricek
Mateychuk
Svozil
Severson
Provorov

Our outlook is much better than Detroits and certainly Fantilli has higher upside than anyone on the Wings, but getting him is not an outcome of some master plan. Jarmo's plan just happened to fail badly enough in the right year.

Reactions: Cowumbus and koteka
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad