Speculation: Armchair GM 2024-25 Season, Craig Conroy's Can Do Calgary Flames

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

A) it’s been 4 games
B) Pospisil has reinvigorated Huberdeau
C) We have Backlund and Kadri
D) We have a way bigger hole at LD currently.
E) Why can’t this organization just chill tf out for once. They can’t get out of their own way.

A) Seravalli is a joke.
B) It's been 4 games
C) If it's a young cheap RFA center that's still finding their footing with potential like Dach or Reinhart or Bennett I'm not opposed. Barett Hayton, Connor Geekie types. A top 10 C pick will go a long ways to improving the organization's depth there but even then you can never have too much center depth.

Reactions: Nanuuk and Figgy44

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Well, they rebuilt for an entire 6 months, it's time to compete again.

If it wasn't for the terrible start last year, Conroy probably would have caved and ponied up for Lindholm.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012

A) it’s been 4 games
B) Pospisil has reinvigorated Huberdeau
C) We have Backlund and Kadri
D) We have a way bigger hole at LD currently.
E) Why can’t this organization just chill tf out for once. They can’t get out of their own way.
A) It's Servalli
B) Seravalli is trash
C) Stop believing idiots like Seravalli

No if he said that was what we were looking for when being asked about Kadri and/or Andersson it might make sense.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
A) It's Servalli
B) Seravalli is trash
C) Stop believing idiots like Seravalli

No if he said that was what we were looking for when being asked about Kadri and/or Andersson it might make sense.

Whatever it is, I feel like it might have to be something crazy that's a heck of a swing for a young 2C with 1C potential to make sense. Unlikely, but if we pretended there was real smoke, it'd have to be crazy like that to make sense.

Basis of Anderson + Coleman for Cozens/Norris kind of crazy.

We get a young low end 1C at worst. Other team gets vets to round out their roster to contend ASAP. It's still a two steps back before one step forward type of move.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Ok sure. If the deal is Kadri+ for Cozens then that makes sense. A trade where another team’s GM is trying to save their job.

I just don’t think this organization has ever shown the long term vision to make that kind of deal. Especially when we look like we could compete for a playoff spot.

Reactions: Figgy44

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
Flames have been trying to get a middle 6 center "in their age range" for the past half decade, this rumor pops up all the time. It proves to be a hard task to achieve if you aren't willing to part with the pieces.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Ok sure. If the deal is Kadri+ for Cozens then that makes sense. A trade where another team’s GM is trying to save their job.

I just don’t think this organization has ever shown the long term vision to make that kind of deal. Especially when we look like we could compete for a playoff spot.
Cozens is shit

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Cozens is shit
Feel like he’s one of the easiest Sharangovich style bets out there. Rango scored at a 24 goal pace his rookie season in the league and then again his sophomore season before a bad year. Now what was more likely, that he forgot how to be good at hockey or that there was external factors?

Cozens as a 21 year old potted 31 and 68 points. Guy didn’t just up and forget how to play since then.

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
If we trade with Buffalo, one of the non-radar players I really want to steal would be Jokiharju. I think he's still super under the radar good.

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

I really love Conroy's comments here
“You cannot tell people that it’s OK to lose and then later say, let’s try to win now. How do you do that?” said Conroy. “Where in the brain does it say that can be done? If you have a culture where you’re just OK with losing, that doesn’t breed winning. I know we’re going to lose games, but the attitude has to always be: ‘We’re here to win. This is our job.’
“Win or lose, we’re going to compete every night — and that’s all I’m asking. And that’s the message to the young guys. It’s not OK to lose. We are going to be pissed off. Other people may have different ideas, and they’ll run their teams the way they want. But for me, I just don’t believe you can flip the switch and suddenly decide, after a lot of years of losing, now it’s time to win.”
Flames are gonna lose a lot of games this year, and probably get a high pick, but you have to build a culture that says losing is not ok, we are here to win.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Just an FYI, theres are RH centers currently aged 26 or younger that have played in the NHL this season.... a whole 30 names... and that is not even factoring in "middle 6"

1729271077731.png

1729271152546.png

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
So here's the 101 on Finnish names I know you all are craving for. Most names are based on places and nature, or first names. Then add diminutive -nen, or -la that refers to a place, or nothing at all. -nen is more common in east, -la more common in west.

So you have Koivu (=birch), Koivunen (roughly son of Koivu), or Koivula (from the place of birch). Or Niemi (=peninsula), Nieminen, or Niemelä (there's that i -> e change but lets not go there). Or Joki (=river), Jokinen, Jokela (again that i -> e).

Goalies are exception of course, they are the weird guys. They have names like Kiprusoff, Rask, Raanta, Rask, Saros, Gibson that are completely random and mean nothing.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
So here's the 101 on Finnish names I know you all are craving for. Most names are based on places and nature, or first names. Then add diminutive -nen, or -la that refers to a place, or nothing at all. -nen is more common in east, -la more common in west.

So you have Koivu (=birch), Koivunen (roughly son of Koivu), or Koivula (from the place of birch). Or Niemi (=peninsula), Nieminen, or Niemelä (there's that i -> e change but lets not go there). Or Joki (=river), Jokinen, Jokela (again that i -> e).

Goalies are exception of course, they are the weird guys. They have names like Kiprusoff, Rask, Raanta, Rask, Saros, Gibson that are completely random and mean nothing.
:laugh:

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014

"Where are you from? What is your place?"
"I keep pucks off."

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
If Conroy was working the phones it's because injuries are happening. He's just trying to maintain stability.

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
Anyone thoughts if we might target another top 4 young second pairing dman and try to lock them in for 3-4 seasons? Even when Brewski and Parekh are ready for second pairing up, we need solid foundations/injury options, even if we assume Weegar and Andersson aren't going anywhere.

Bahl is already potentially one, but would we want another?

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Anyone thoughts if we might target another top 4 young second pairing dman and try to lock them in for 3-4 seasons? Even when Brewski and Parekh are ready for second pairing up, we need solid foundations/injury options, even if we assume Weegar and Andersson aren't going anywhere.

Bahl is already potentially one, but would we want another?
Yes, absolutely. Contrary to popular belief, you can't have too many good players.

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
Yes, absolutely. Contrary to popular belief, you can't have too many good players.

Who might be half decent long term acquisitions for cheap?

I was thinking of the concept when I saw Provorov's name pop up in the CBJ winger thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad