Speculation: Armchair GM 2024-25 Season, Craig Conroy's Can Do Calgary Flames

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

Pat Steinberg - Flames Mailbag: Will hot start derail Conroy's plans for rebuild?​

I got a few different iterations of this question, and understandably so in this market. Fans here have been conditioned to a team chasing immediate, often fleeting, success at the expense of building for something longer term. So, seeing the Flames go in a different direction under general manager Craig Conroy has been refreshing for many.

But if you’re worried Conroy is going to alter course from the plan he’s put in motion, you can rest easy. It’s my belief Conroy and the Flames are fully committed to seeing this through, which means not being distracted by on-ice success earlier than expected. Conroy stated this is a “three to five-year plan” at the NHL Draft in Las Vegas, and that plan remains in place.

Let’s not forget Conroy was part of Calgary’s front office the last time they were in a similar situation. Roughly a year into a retooling process, the 2014-15 season saw the Flames defy all expectations, make the playoffs, and even win a round. What followed, despite evidence of that season being somewhat of a mirage, was a clear deviation in approach.

Calgary was back to chasing immediate success way earlier than planned. I don’t believe that’s something Conroy and the Flames are ready to do this time around.

Now, that doesn’t mean using assets to help improve the team would be completely off the table. If it fits the vision. Conroy has said publicly he’d like to add a young (think 25 and under) and NHL ready centre to the group, for instance. And according to Frank Seravalli’s report earlier this week, that search remains active.

But a complete detour from the path the team is on doesn’t seem in the cards, even if Calgary’s strong start turns into a strong season.

Rebuild back on the menu

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Picking up a young, potential 2C/3C, for a vet, is hardly detrimental to the rebuild. A change of scenery trade, based on organizational need is also a good possibility. Trading picks should be an absolute no go, unless the center is very young and already well established, which is unlikely anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad