Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] F Logan Cooley signs ELC with the Coyotes (3 years, $950k AAV)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wouldn't there be 10 regular season games between the Frozen Four finishing and the end of the NHL regular season? I remember guys burning their first year who went deep in the NCAA tournament

Gophers made the championship game on April 8th, Coyotes only had two remaining regular season games after that.

The difference between Cooley and other guys is that he would have been a teenager. Somebody like Luke Hughes could burn a year without needing 10 games because he was 20 (by CBA definition). Similarly, Vancouver signed undrafted free agent Cole McWard to a 2 year ELC a week after Ohio State was eliminated in the quarterfinals. Since McWard wasn't a teenager, he didn't need to hit the 10 game threshold to burn the first year; Vancouver dressed him in five, technically he could have burned the first year without dressing.

Funny you mention that, because when you play for a competitive team that goes deep into the NCAA tournament, you have to make a snap decision. Clearly he wasn't ready to make it at the time, but if he could go back in time, I bet he'd have signed for the last few games of the 22-23 regular season to burn a year.

It's much easier said than done, and just because a guy doesn't get all of his ducks in a row until the summer and signs in the off season, doesn’t mean he isn't thinking about his 7 year clock.

Again, just pointing out that this is not true. Since Cooley is a teenager, he would have needed 10 NHL games played to burn the first year. Arizona only had two games left.

He would have been in the same boat as Clayton Keller when he signed after his freshman year. Since Keller was 19 and only appeared in 3 NHL games, the first year slid.

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
Yes it is young, but I'm not really seeing the kind of high-end talent that some in the forward group have. Could be a good bottom 4 group though like I said.
agree for now, hopefully moser or valimaki keep improving - lots of D dont develop until mid 20s and both last year was first full year (neither were rookies, both had stints in NHL).

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Turris, Wheeler.

I know those are a while ago but it seems to be a Coyotes specific phenomenon.
I don't remember Kevin Hayes, Adam Fox, Alex Kerfoot, Jimmy Vesey, Zach Heyman, Bryan Berard or Eric Lindros being drafted by the Coyotes.

Turris played 3 games for the Coyotes the year he was drafted and 63 games the next season.

Reactions: Mosby

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
from last years top 12 F -
keller, schmaltz, crouse, bjugstad should be about the same
maccelli, mcbain, hayton, rookies or close should continue to improve

other 5 last year vs this year

ritchie -> cooley
fischer -> zucker
obrein -> kerfoot
kassian -> guenther
boyd -> carcone or boyd

huge upgrades from last year
Not enough there to trade a top prospect.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Turris, Wheeler.

I know those are a while ago but it seems to be a Coyotes specific phenomenon.
Or more recently Adam Fox. Oh wait, he reject the Flames AND Carolina.

You are needlessly piling on the Coyotes. Wheeler was so many years ago. How about the Devils (Kerfoot), Hayes (Chicago) or Will Butcher (Colorado)? Are they specific phenomenon too?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don’t think there was ever a danger of Cooley not signing with the Coyotes, eventually. No way he would be giving up those years in the NHL. Not sure if this is the right move for him, or the Coyotes. I guess we’ll see.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Or more recently Adam Fox. Oh wait, he reject the Flames AND Carolina.

You are needlessly piling on the Coyotes. Wheeler was so many years ago. How about the Devils (Kerfoot), Hayes (Chicago) or Will Butcher (Colorado)? Are they specific phenomenon too?
Were any of those guys top 5 picks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad