Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] F Logan Cooley signs ELC with the Coyotes (3 years, $950k AAV)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Too bad about Keller. Him, Cooley and Crouse would be v. nice. Hope that gets worked out.

Glad Cooley is gonna play this year. As a Yotes fan from 1996 to 2011, it would be sad to see them get Wheelered again.

Even if Cooley did the same thing as Wheeler, I dont think many would blame him.

Keller? You talking about that fake tweet? Keller already called it out. He said he likes the organization and the staff and wants to be a Coyote.

I'm sure he 100% means that but its also what you'd expect any player under contract to say. Especially a player signed to a long term deal.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Even if Cooley did the same thing as Wheeler, I dont think many would blame him.
Sad are the days when a team who has arena issues are seen as being worse than an organization which has known to cover up sexual assault of their own players from top to bottom.

I'm sure he 100% means that but its also what you'd expect any player under contract to say. Especially a player signed to a long term deal.
Ya I've never heard of a player signed to a longer term contract openly asking for a trade. It's almost like it just happened with Chychrun with 4 years left on his deal.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
Trade him for Nylander helps get the yokes to cap floor
Well, maybe for Boyd and a 3rd, just so the Leafs can get closer to being under the cap...

He'll be going to a much smaller college rink... by half.
And I thought all the rinks were relatively the same size? Well if it's half I hope it's in the offensive half... makes it easier to score!

Reactions: Matias Maccete

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
First of all. Its good for the entire NHL if hockey gains a better grip in Phoenix. Phoenix is a big market.

I actually think this proves that Cooley WAS annoyed/pissed about the arena situation and the general public conversation about the organization back when the initial "not signing" news came out. Nothing significant has changed in the Arizona situation, yet his decision has been completely flipped. Feels like a realization that he should be going pro regardless, which is the right decision.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
First off I'm incredibly grateful. I hate how looked down upon the Yotes are, and was worried he was going to dodge them entirely. Could you imagine if he just waited it out so he could leave? The guy you spent a 3rd overall on? They'd be officially dead.

Second, this is the correct move for his development. He's 100% ready.

Third, how bizarre was it that he committed to returning to Minnesota....but now he isn't? I guess you can chalk it up to being young. I'm no expert on college hockey, but that has to damage Minnesota in a couple of ways, right?

I know Snuggerud returned (Completely correct decision) instead of signing with us because he wanted a shot at a natty, which felt like almost a guarantee with Cooley back.

Is he a Nr 1 pick in a 2022 redraft?

Way too early for that. But for fun, if we did the 2022 NHL draft today, probably. I think he's at least #2. I could see some team taking Slavkovsky still, or maybe even 1 or 2 other guys. But I bet 25 teams take Cooley.

Reactions: Baby Doaner

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
And I thought all the rinks were relatively the same size? Well if it's half I hope it's in the offensive half... makes it easier to score!

Nope. Minnesota's 3M Arena at Mariucci has a capacity of 10,000, while ASU's Mullet Arena is 5,000. North Dakota's arena seats 11,600, and there are numerous others of 7,000 or more. It appears that ASU ranked 12th in NCAA Division I attendance last season.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
Nope. Minnesota's 3M Arena at Mariucci has a capacity of 10,000, while ASU's Mullet Arena is 5,000. North Dakota's arena seats 11,600, and there are numerous others of 7,000 or more. It appears that ASU ranked 12th in NCAA Division I attendance last season.
I thought you were talking about the rink, not about the seating capacity of the arena. I doubt Cooley will sit in any of those seats as he is likely to be dressed and ready to play. The rink itself has some of the best ice in the league. I expect Logan will care more about that.

Reactions: Prarievarg

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
This is great for the Yotes. League has bungled the oversight of this franchise. Nice for the fans to have what looks like a 1C coming in and something to generate positive press.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
First of all. Its good for the entire NHL if hockey gains a better grip in Phoenix. Phoenix is a big market.

I actually think this proves that Cooley WAS annoyed/pissed about the arena situation and the general public conversation about the organization back when the initial "not signing" news came out. Nothing significant has changed in the Arizona situation, yet his decision has been completely flipped. Feels like a realization that he should be going pro regardless, which is the right decision.

Sooner he goes pro, sooner he can get the hell out of there.

(Unless he wanted to do it the long way and play thru another 3 years of college)

Dirty Old Man

Still processing...
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
This is great for the Yotes. League has bungled the oversight of this franchise.
Ehhhh...not so much really. We just have a lot of gullible people in Tempe that spoiled a good plan; a few less of those and everything would be looking really good now. The league, the yotes ownership, and the local hardcore fan base is all just rolling their eyes, again.

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

It was more an uncertainty as to where the franchise was headed and if the arena vote was going to affect it. I wouldn’t blame him at all for thinking that.

After the off season moves the team made and he got into dev camp he was able to see that the team may have accelerated things a little and it took that uncertainty away.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It was more an uncertainty as to where the franchise was headed and if the arena vote was going to affect it. I wouldn’t blame him at all for thinking that.

After the off season moves the team made and he got into dev camp he was able to see that the team may have accelerated things a little and it took that uncertainty away.

Hard to believe that if there was any uncertainty to take away, it wouldn't be public. The situation is so dire that any positive news would be shared with the public immediately - as it should be.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Applies to every player.

But in Bedards case his team isn't at risk of being relocated and he actually gets to play in an NHL arena instead of a 5000 seat college barn.
Yes but you are just relying on trite old insults.

Cooley will get to play in an NHL at least half the season. And as was pointed out earlier, there can be worse things than being a rich and famous professional athlete hanging out at Arizona State campus.

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

At one point they considered making Mullett Arena smaller (~3500). But decided to bump it up to around 5300 or so. This was before the Coyotes even came to them about playing there.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad