GDT: Are You Ready to Rummmm...er, Draaaaaaft!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Want one of Zegras, Turcotte or Byram and 1 of those will surely be there.

If not give me Krebs or Dach.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Again, all of this trade talk feels like a smokescreen to try to drum up interest and obscure their intentions. I will be surprised if the Wings move at all. Wings need game breaking ability and 6 is right in the range to get Dach or Zegras. If both are gone then that means one of Byram or Turcotte is available, which should also mean an easy decision. Both Dach and Zegras are more raw than KK or Hughes but they have some skills that cannot be taught, especially when it comes to play making. Which the Wings are certainly in the marketing in acquiring. Not to take anything away from Cozens, Krebs, CC, Pod or Boldy, but when I look at the Red Wings depth and the pipeline they really don't have any good set up men on the come up. I'm optimistic that Veleno will get there but I want to see how he looks like against the AHL first. Hirose was a surprise but can he continue to improve? There are so many question marks I don't see why they shouldn't go after more potential top 6 play making centers. Which is a pretty rare commodity and something almost every team would want.

That said, I would not be shocked to see them take Boldy. He honestly impressed me more than Pod throughout the year, and that is based more off of the eye test than anything. I know he is a Winger but he does a lot of the little things right and has plus hockey sense and good offensive instincts. I think he's pretty underrated due to his position. Similar things can be said about Cozens and Krebs, too. (I view the three of them similarly because I'm unsure if Cozens and Krebs end up at C in the NHL, ultimately).

I'm really not sold on Pod or CC, they are very raw still and while they have some high end potential, their floor is a lot lower than I would like at 6. I would gladly take one of them at 10 for instance, but I value Dach/Zegras > Pod/CC + 40th. That would give the Wings' their 4th 2nd rounder. How would people feel like packaging 3 of those together and buying another 1st? That would make a trade down a lot more interesting to me.

Reactions: ZDH

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Rumor is the nucks offer for Barrie involves their 2020 1st. Moving down seems a pretty legit possiblity.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Pretty sure I've come around on all of the forward options. I don't think I'd be happy if we drafted a D at 6 not named Byram of course.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
5/6= dach/zegras

10/11= krebs/newhook

The difference between those players, even Newhook, are pretty damn minimal. I will take even money that Krebs turns out to be the best of that lot.

I can't wait until we trade up to take Dach at five. Come prospects tournament half of this board will be bitching about his effort level and skating. Come training camp the other half will start calling him Mantha in the middle. He has a ton of upside and a lot of skill, but only a select few of his supporters will acknowledge the challenges he faces in reaching that potential.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I think the concerns on Dach's effort are overblown because of a huge cold stretch and the fact that he is tall. He will take longer to fill out and get his body to adjust but I haven't seen anything that looks like his effort level itself is poor.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
What is your take on Kolyachonok? Guy wouldn't make a forward pass in the prospect game, but I see people high on him even late first mentions...

Belarusian Karl Alzner?

Kolyachonok will bust. There is no way a dude with a name like that is going to amount to anything in the league.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The difference between those players, even Newhook, are pretty damn minimal. I will take even money that Krebs turns out to be the best of that lot.

I can't wait until we trade up to take Dach at five. Come prospects tournament half of this board will be *****ing about his effort level and skating. Come training camp the other half will start calling him Mantha in the middle. He has a ton of upside and a lot of skill, but only a select few of his supporters will acknowledge the challenges he faces in reaching that potential.

I will take that in a heart beat over a player with less upside plus a fourth 2nd pick.

May I ask, what's the intension of such a move?

Just too add another non first round pick? Why not just sell cap space and still draft at 6?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If Turcotte falls I'd be so happy.

He's not my #1 guy, but it's hard to deny how good a duo of Turcotte and Larkin would look. In fact, thinking about that potential... is he my #1 guy?

It's a strange situation where he wouldn't be my top forward pick in a vacuum, but is it possible he's a better pick for the Wings? I dunno. If I knew I'd be whispering into Stevie's ear in a few hours like Grima Wormtongue.

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
He's not my #1 guy, but it's hard to deny how good a duo of Turcotte and Larkin would look. In fact, thinking about that potential... is he my #1 guy?

It's a strange situation where he wouldn't be my top forward pick in a vacuum, but is it possible he's a better pick for the Wings? I dunno. If I knew I'd be whispering into Stevie's ear in a few hours like Grima Wormtongue.
How about a trio of Larkin/Turcotte/Veleno

Reactions: firestarter

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
How about a trio of Larkin/Turcotte/Veleno

ca9.gif

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

this is actually kinda the opposite of how I feel

in a vacuum i'd probably rather have Turcotte because even though I think his upside is lower than Dach I also think he's notably more likely to reach it,but Dach brings something the Wings honestly just don't have

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
This is all because the Leafs *had* to add Tavares. Yes, JT is an excellent player but it has ruined their cap structure. If I was the Leafs I would trade JT before Marner. Or try to move on from Nylander. Marner looks like he will be a good player for a long time. JT is not old, but if I had a gun to my head I know who I would choose to build a franchise with with Matthews.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
This is all because the Leafs *had* to add Tavares. Yes, JT is an excellent player but it has ruined their cap structure. If I was the Leafs I would trade JT before Marner. Or try to move on from Nylander. Marner looks like he will be a good player for a long time. JT is not old, but if I had a gun to my head I know who I would choose to build a franchise with with Matthews.
Nylander is the obvious choice for me. Dubas' promises be damned.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I will take that in a heart beat over a player with less upside plus a fourth 2nd pick.

May I ask, what's the intension of such a move?

Just too add another non first round pick? Why not just sell cap space and still draft at 6?

No, I take Krebs over Dach because Krebs will be the better NHL player. No trade down needed on my part because Krebs is worthy of a 6th overall pick. If the brass decide they like Newhook the best I wouldn't be opposed to them taking him a 6th either. Appreciate though that I much prefer the style that these two play than many other posters do.

I do not want the Wings to trade down for the sake of trading down. My point is that the top 10 is far more contentious after 3 than you think it is.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Rumor is the nucks offer for Barrie involves their 2020 1st. Moving down seems a pretty legit possiblity.

Would be completely fine moving down 3-4 spots and still getting Krebs or Broberg.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Yeah seems fishy, Yzerman has been preaching speed and skill since he took over, to then take a lumberjack D-man in the 1st over the handful of high end F's they can choose from at 6 would be downright strange

A lumberjack D-man? Seider skates very well, especially for his size, and is a highly skilled young player. You seem very misinformed on Seider.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
On his worst day if he reaches the absolute basement of his development. That just comes across as a baseless disparagement.

A lot of players drafted in the first round of the NHL draft would be lucky to have a 500+ game NHL career. German Andreas Lilja would be a fine third-pairing defensive guy eating up 16 minutes a game on a contender. Not what the Wings need right now. Draft a guy with clear first pairing upside or draft a forward you can trade for one in the future. Don't draft a guy who looks like his ceiling is second-pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad