GDT: Are You Ready to Rummmm...er, Draaaaaaft!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
It only makes sense if a team is over paying to trade back that far. Like if Van offered a 10th + 1st that would be worth it. The only trade reported or mentioned for the Det 6th is a swap with LA for the 5th. I wouldn't mind if they end up paying a 2nd + low prospect to guarantee they get their guy. And that's only if he is still there.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Besides the defenseman who do we still want to be available at 6 the most? I don't know anything about these guys and wanna be nervous for the first 5 picks.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
The idea of "well, these 7 guys are all the same, so we'll take whoever is left over" is not great. They will not all be equal at the end of their careers. The scouts need to do their job and have an opinion.

Left over? lol like they're week old meatloaf? Good scouting is integral. You don't trade down unless you trust your scouts and know you're still getting someone just as good a few spots lower.

People have a really hard time separating themselves from the idea that say Center available at 6 is clearly going to be better than Center available at 10. No. Probably not. If your scouting staff is good, then definitely not. There is going to be a player of equal value to 6th overall in a lower position.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Custance keeps insisting Dach is our guy too, for what it's worth. It's possible this uncorroborated rumor pertaining to moving up for LA's pick may be in the event that Dach is still there.

I'm trying to get @Bench's hopes up.

Dude, I'm all aboard that hype train. And if Yzerman is on it with me, this engine has no God damn brakes!

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If I had to guess, with no trades being made:

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Byram
5. Dach
6. Zegras
7. Cozens
8. Boldy
9. Broberg
10. Podkolzin

I think CHI bets on the hometown boy, so the big variables are Colorado and Buffalo. If Colorado goes for a center, I dunno who it'll be between Dach and Zegras. If Dach is still available for LAK, I see them taking him, as he fits the "LA mold".

Buffalo is hard to pick, as Cozens those seven really are the top 7, leaving Cozens as the BPA. But BUF already has Eichel and Mittelstadt.

I think Ken Holland is almost guaranteed to take either Boldy or Broberg, and that VAN grabs Tide-Pod to compliment EP40.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Here we go boys and girls. Hold on to your butts!

Honestly this is probably the most exciting day of the year for me... not sure how I should feel about that.

Haha, I know the feeling. I get ridiculously excited for the NFL draft, too. Maybe moreso, because those players usually are in the lineup in a few months rather than years.

Reactions: mantha39

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Besides the defenseman who do we still want to be available at 6 the most? I don't know anything about these guys and wanna be nervous for the first 5 picks.

I'd be shocked if Turcotte or Byram were there at #6. So that leaves 2 of 3 of Dach/Zegras/Cozens left.

Personal preference would be Zegras, then Cozens, then Dach. Boldy and Podkolzin are not a need, and Broberg is nowhere near worth #6.

Reactions: njx9

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Rebuilding teams should not be giving up two future pieces for a 28 year old.

I think acquiring a top-pair quality offensive defenseman would hasten the rebuild significantly. The forward group is actually decent, if you acquire a good offensive D and a second-line center (a real one, not Franz Nielsen), this team would likely make the playoffs and have a good shot of clearing the first round.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think acquiring a top-pair quality offensive defenseman would hasten the rebuild significantly. The forward group is actually decent, if you acquire a good offensive D and a second-line center (a real one, not Franz Nielsen), this team would likely make the playoffs and have a good shot of clearing the first round.

We're going to acquire a good second line center at #6.

Trading that pick for a guy who's going to be over 30 by the time we're competing (With no guarantee he even re-signs) is ridiculous. On top of that, we'd be putting him in the role that Hronek is expected to fill.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Not to mention Barrie has racked up about 40% of his points being double shifted on a PP unit with Mackinnon/Rantanen/Landeskog.

Athana see you later

Feb 9, 2019
I agree. Top priorities are a center to play second fiddle to Larkin and a top pair defenseman. Once those are filled, we are a playoff team.

I still think actual scouts and gms value cozens a bit higher than we do. He hasn’t done anything to hurt his stock, and hasn’t done anything to raise it either. He is in the same tier as dach, turcotte, and byram. Wouldn’t be surprised if he was gone by 6.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I wouldnt mind trading back with the hopes of grabbing Zegras or Caufield. Both are really talented guys I could see making it in todays NHL.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Moving down from 6 to 11 jets say just to add a mid 2nd rd pick seems dumb.

I am all in favour of adding picks but not by dropping down talent levels and yes from 6-11 their is a significant talent drop off(or relative expected ceiling)

Let's use our calp space to add another pick?

Lets pckg some of our picks to move UP?

Moving down at this point in our rebuild is flawed

Nowhere close. Did you just start following this draft class yesterday? The difference in perceived rankings is largely a function of position, not expected ceiling. If Boldy for example played center you can bet your ass you would see his name higher on public draft lists. Relative to his ceiling he is a super quality option at 9 or 10. This class has a strong top 10 or 11. If you aren't willing to watch the prospects you won't know where the talent falls off.

GrafSk8r12

Jul 4, 2011
Who We Want: Hughes and Kakko

Who will we get: Not Hughes and not Kakko

(you're welcome for my insightful draft analysis. Please subscribe to my blog).

"With the sixth overall pick, the Detroit Red Wings are proud to select Jack Hughes AND Kaapo Kakko."

Everyone else:
4510242_0.jpg

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So who do we want and who will we likely get?

Byram is the #1 defender on the board and we want him but he won't fall to us. Turcotte is another highly coveted guy, also probably taken before #6.

So after that it's a big debate. I'm all about Dach. Others are not. There's a handful of guys all clustered 5-10 that all have pros and cons. If all of the above named are gone, I actually want Broberg, but many will consider that a reach. Those people are wrong.

Reactions: taliababa and izlez

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Byram is the #1 defender on the board and we want him but he won't fall to us. Turcotte is another highly coveted guy, also probably taken before #6.

So after that it's a big debate. I'm all about Dach. Others are not. There's a handful of guys all clustered 5-10 that all have pros and cons. If all of the above named are gone, I actually want Broberg, but many will consider that a reach. Those people are wrong.
If that's the case, wouldn't it be smart to move back a couple of spots if available?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Rebuilding teams should not be giving up two future pieces for a 28 year old.

Fans should not be so hung up on ages of players. I don't think they should trade for Barrie, but I really think this is something that fans need to get past. There should not be some qualifier like "must be 25 or younger or I have literally no interest."

Cholowski and 35OA are quite likely to never match up in value to a Trouba or a Barrie or similar. The chance is greater that the established NHL player will do more for the continued success of the roster than two future pieces who aren't A+++ prospects.

Now that doesn't mean go willy-nilly trading assets to get better or to be a bubble team, but if I can get you a top pairing D capable D for those two pieces and he's not 38 with one year left in the NHL, not just on his deal, you're insane to not at least look at it. I mean, even in the throes of a rebuild, give me a player that I can count on to be a legitimate puck mover that will let my team stay competitive in games (therefore, helping to develop any forwards we draft because they'll have the puck actually getting to them to do some things) and I'd strongly consider the deal.

People have started to get dogmatic about "The Rebuild" or "The Process" and are losing sight of the fact that you should be doing things that overall improve your roster for this year as well as the future. Don't sign veteran forwards to long term deals and lock up your money that way... but if there is a Matt Duchene on the market that you land at 8M a year (not likely to happen given other deals around) then you can start to turn your eye 100% to fixing your D. Have a plan and follow the plan, but adjust it based on what's available.

The biggest thing that has been and will keep driving me nuts are the people who stoutly refused to sign Karlsson before SJS re-upped him. Not because of his injury concerns, but because it's "not the right time in the rebuild". Well, then when is the right time to add an elite piece? Why is there a wrong time to add an elite piece outside of the like 2013-2015 years where you'd have to gut your roster of futures to make it happen?

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Dude, I'm all aboard that hype train. And if Yzerman is on it with me, this engine has no God damn brakes!

E: Better idea.

But you gotta understand, there ain't no gettin' off this train we're on till we get to the end of the line. That ends with us gettin Dach.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If that's the case, wouldn't it be smart to move back a couple of spots if available?

Maybe. Always a risk, though. If you think anyone will take your guy, even a remote chance, I think you just hold firm - even if it's not a "value" pick according to mocks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad