Are you comfortable with a claim of OV being the GOAT goalscorer?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
My top 4 goal scorers all time are Gretzky, Hull, Lemieux and Ovi in some order. Howe/Richard make up top 6. Who said Hull isn't on my radar?

For top peak/ability - I simply prefer Lemieux + Gretzky.

Where is the statistical case for Mario to back this up?

Mario is not close to having the best peak season (even measured in GPG), or multiple peak seasons (based on GPG), and you cannot not make a case for his GPG over his prime being superior to anyone else.

If you are implying that he, like Wayne, was simply an GOAT offensive force that overrides (or marginalizes) qualifying that into goalscoring and playmaking, I would agree with that sentiment.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
I have mixed feeling about this, cause I think Lemieux was better than both Gretzky and Ovechkin in goal scoring.

However, I think Gretzky remains the greatest goal scorer, considering his peak and his total career goals that back it up, but I’m okay with people saying Ovechkin took the thrown.

By the end of his career, Ovechkin will likely have the body of work to make that claim as the undisputed GOAT goalscorer.

Reactions: bobholly39

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Tom Brady is clearly NOT the most skilled thrower of the football in terms of range of abilities (not great at bootlegging, scrambling or the long ball) but he is the greatest in terms of accomplishments (due to team AND in great part: preparedness, clutch play, short-range accuracy, positioning in the pocket).

Gretzky is the Brady of goal scorers in hockey. His accomplishments dwarf others due to team AND in great part: hockey sense, threat to pass on every shot opportunity (imagine what goalies had to expect) and decision making. He didn't have the hardest shot, the quickest shot or the best deke moves to maneuver netside.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
When I say the hardest era to score I meant from when he entered the league throughout. It is not conjecture to say that amongst the all time great goal scorers, Ovechkin has had the most difficult era to score goals in, that is a fact.

That's not a fact that's your opinion.

The year Ovi entered the league they specifically opened the game up from the murky depths of the DPE and for a few years there Phaneuf and McCabe looked like world beaters from the blueline, working the PP.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Ovechkin has about 37% of his career goals [ ... ] on the power play. Mario, around 34%

My point with Mario, beyond the fact that he's a less dependent career goal scorer than Ovi from the PP ( :rolleyes: ), is that he was way more versatile. He had two seasons in a row where he scored double digits shorthanded goals (10, 13). He was probably the most dangerous player ever coming in one-on-one with the goalie (breakaway). Ovechkin is average in the shootout. He scored goals floating through defenses in crunch time (Minnesota 91), he scored goals with a Quebec player literally riding rodeo on his back from the redline and in.

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
Tom Brady is clearly NOT the most skilled thrower of the football in terms of range of abilities (not great at bootlegging, scrambling or the long ball) but he is the greatest in terms of accomplishments (due to team AND in great part: preparedness, clutch play, short-range accuracy, positioning in the pocket).

Gretzky is the Brady of goal scorers in hockey. His accomplishments dwarf others due to team AND in great part: hockey sense, threat to pass on every shot opportunity (imagine what goalies had to expect) and decision making. He didn't have the hardest shot, the quickest shot or the best deke moves to maneuver netside.
I disagree. 99 had the best arsenal of shots ever until 66 came along. His shot was hard enough, tricky and incredibly accurate. He was also deceptively fast or fast enough and very elusive in his ability to avoid checks. When he lost his elusiveness, his goal totals were more than cut in half.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
That's not a fact that's your opinion.

The year Ovi entered the league they specifically opened the game up from the murky depths of the DPE and for a few years there Phaneuf and McCabe looked like world beaters from the blueline, working the PP.
No it's a fact because we have numbers that explicitly state it as such. Also it's damn common sense.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
If you are implying that he, like Wayne, was simply an GOAT offensive force that overrides (or marginalizes) qualifying that into goalscoring and playmaking, I would agree with that sentiment.

This touches on why I'm having some problem with OV being given that crown. Gretzky (and Lemieux) was a complete offensive force on the ice, able to create goals many, many different ways. On his own or using teammates. Even strength or PP or SH.

If Ovechkin becomes the greatest goal scorer (in either number or consensus opinion) it is only because Gretzky allowed him to do so. I have little doubt that if Gretzky had been as narrowly focused on being a scorer of goals then he would have upwards of 1000 regular season goals to his name. However that would have robbed his team of some of his genius and he would have been less effective as an offensive force as a result.

I'm not saying this to imply that Ovechkin is selfish, only that he does not have as much to offer as a Bringer of Offense. So to crown Ovechkin as the GOAT goal scorer is simply to acknowledge that Gretzky had other, better ways to create goals than being the finisher.

Last edited:

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
I'm not saying this to imply that Ovechkin is selfish, only that he does not have as much to offer as a Bringer of Offense.

That seems beside the point though, you are just stating that Gretzky was a better player, and this is not what the thread is about.
The thread is about goal-scoring; surely there is a way to compare players to Gretzky in different areas without reducing the discussion to "but Gretzky was a better player".
Because if arguments "what if Gretzky had decided to focus on ____" are allowed, at which point do we stop because it gets ridiculous? "If Gretzky had decided to focus on defensive play, he would have won 10 Selkes and would have been the best defensive forward ever". "If Gretzky had decided to focus on defense even more, he would have been a better defenseman than Harvey or Lidstrom". I mean, really, where do we stop if we go this route?

So to crown Ovechkin as the GOAT goal scorer is simply to acknowledge that Gretzky had other, better ways to create goals than being the finisher.

Which to me just means that Ovechkin is a better goal-scorer. Gretzky, especially after turning 28-30, could not be as good of a finisher as Ovechkin and decided to do other things.
Likewise, young Joe Thornton was a legit 30-goal player, but then he morphed into mostly a playmaker and had a lot of success.
Can we make an argument that Marleau was a better goal-scorer than Thornton just because Thornton "allowed him to" and "had other, better ways to create goals"?
Would the same argument apply to Kovalchuk or Heatley?
Do we have to keep Thornton in mind when we are discussing the best goal-scorers of late 2000s - because, you know, he could have been if he had decided to narrowly focus on goal-scoring?

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
That seems beside the point though, you are just stating that Gretzky was a better player, and this is not what the thread is about.
The thread is about goal-scoring; surely there is a way to compare players to Gretzky in different areas without reducing the discussion to "but Gretzky was a better player".
Because if arguments "what if Gretzky had decided to focus on ____" are allowed, at which point do we stop because it gets ridiculous? "If Gretzky had decided to focus on defensive play, he would have won 10 Selkes and would have been the best defensive forward ever". "If Gretzky had decided to focus on defense even more, he would have been a better defenseman than Harvey or Lidstrom". I mean, really, where do we stop if we go this route?

Which to me just means that Ovechkin is a better goal-scorer. Gretzky, especially after turning 28-30, could not be as good of a finisher as Ovechkin and decided to do other things.
Likewise, young Joe Thornton was a legit 30-goal player, but then he morphed into mostly a playmaker and had a lot of success.
Can we make an argument that Marleau was a better goal-scorer than Thornton just because Thornton "allowed him to" and "had other, better ways to create goals"?
Do we have to keep Thornton in mind when we are discussing the best goal-scorers of late 2000s - because, you know, he could have been if he had decided to narrowly focus on goal-scoring?

Simply because you can extrapolate an argument to an absurd conclusion does not invalidate the original argument.

Anyways, it's obviously a legitimate claim to make that Ovechkin is a better goal scorer. But I find it overly reductive to talk about goal-scoring in isolation because Ovechkin brings almost nothing else to the table where Gretzky brought *so* much. In terms of dominance over peers I'm pretty sure Gretzky had a stronger goal-scoring peak/prime than Ovechkin did. However Ovechkin has certainly aged better as a scorer and so has led the league in goals more times. So in this subjective discussion it depends on what you prioritize: peak or longevity. When the argument is that close based on goal-scoring alone I'm inclined to give the nod to the guy who, on top of being the all-time goals leader, was in general the most awesome offensive force the game has ever seen.

Reactions: sanscosm

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
In terms of dominance over peers I'm pretty sure Gretzky had a stronger goal-scoring peak/prime than Ovechkin did. However Ovechkin has certainly aged better as a scorer and so has led the league in goals more times. So in this subjective discussion it depends on what you prioritize: peak or longevity.

The first one is true, but it is limited to the best 2-3 seasons. If you look at their % leads over #10 goals, it goes like this

Ovechkin: 63-61-52-52-50-44-43-41-30-26-24-15-6
Gretzky: 85-85-59-48-48-17-15-13-9

So Gretzky has larger leads (by roughly 8-10 goals) in the best two seasons, the next three years are a wash, and after that Gretzky has a small collection of top10 finishes vs. 6 Rocket-worthy campaigns by Ovechkin (26% and 24% are his leads from 17/18 and 18/19).
I am all for putting extra weight on peak years, but 6 extra Rocket-worthy seasons are just too much to keep clinging to 2-3 year peak. Because if peak is that important, here are Brett Hull's leads

Hull Jr.: 91-67-60-24-12-0-0-0

Do we anoint Brett Hull a top5 goal-scorer ever based on peak alone? Do we make arguments like "Ovechkin is a greater goal-scorer, but Brett Hull was better?"

When the argument is that close based on goal-scoring alone I'm inclined to give the nod to the guy who, on top of being the all-time goals leader, was in general the most awesome offensive force the game has ever seen.

The argument is not really close, that's the thing. If we were talking about Ovechkin vs. Howe, maybe giving Howe extra credit for being a double threat would make sense. But then again, it is close between Bobby Hull and Howe in terms of goal-scoring, much closer than it is between Ovechkin and Gretzky, but I do not see anyone picking Howe's goal-scoring over Bobby Hull's with the argument you propose. Somehow only Ovechkin gets this kind of treatment.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I disagree. 99 had the best arsenal of shots ever until 66 came along. His shot was hard enough, tricky and incredibly accurate. He was also deceptively fast or fast enough and very elusive in his ability to avoid checks. When he lost his elusiveness, his goal totals were more than cut in half.
Gretzky disagreed with you!

He lamented his shot. He worked on it INCESSANTLY. Tons of people have been quoted on his obsession to try and improve his shot. He did NOT have a great release, and he hated his slapper.

I would compare his SHOT (only his released shot) to Marleau's: great decision making, eye-hand coordination and timing, but lacking velocity with accuracy. Much more dangerous up close than from the point.

If i were an offensive dman gaining the offensive blueline, pulling up, facing a pass to Ovechkin for a shot (at the left circle) or a pass to Gretzky (at the right circle)... and a shot MUST BE TAKEN IMMEDIATELY (no further passing or skating), then I'm dishing to OV.

But how often is that assuredly the situation?

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
No it's a fact because we have numbers that explicitly state it as such. Also it's damn common sense.

It was 100 times easier to stay healthy post lockout for obvious reasons which matters a ton for accumulation which a lot of people seems to put enormous emphasis on. The numbers are also not that different from the DPE. It dipped back a bit after a few years, but Ovi's peak seasons pretty much coincided with the years Phaneuf and McCabe looked like God's gift to hockey. When it dipped, Ovi transformed his game.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Simply because you can extrapolate an argument to an absurd conclusion does not invalidate the original argument.

Anyways, it's obviously a legitimate claim to make that Ovechkin is a better goal scorer. But I find it overly reductive to talk about goal-scoring in isolation because Ovechkin brings almost nothing else to the table where Gretzky brought *so* much. In terms of dominance over peers I'm pretty sure Gretzky had a stronger goal-scoring peak/prime than Ovechkin did. However Ovechkin has certainly aged better as a scorer and so has led the league in goals more times. So in this subjective discussion it depends on what you prioritize: peak or longevity. When the argument is that close based on goal-scoring alone I'm inclined to give the nod to the guy who, on top of being the all-time goals leader, was in general the most awesome offensive force the game has ever seen.
Being the greatest power forward of all time, 13th amongst active players in assists and a 3 time MVP does not come by bringing nothing else to the table other than scoring goals. Gretzky was 170lbs and played against pylon dmen. I was born and raised in Gretzky's home town of Brantford, I love the man but c'mon, half of his goals were on ice dribblers against goalies that would be lucky to be on AHL rosters today. It isn't disingenuous to limit the discussion to goal scoring WHEN THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE DISCUSSION.
It was 100 times easier to stay healthy post lockout for obvious reasons which matters a ton for accumulation which a lot of people seems to put enormous emphasis on. The numbers are also not that different from the DPE. It dipped back a bit after a few years, but Ovi's peak seasons pretty much coincided with the years Phaneuf and McCabe looked like God's gift to hockey. When it dipped, Ovi transformed his game.
This is called moving the goal posts.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018

The discussion that players just suddenly give up on goal scoring to do other things is asinine and untrue. Players do what comes naturally for them, they don't have time to make that decision, they simply make it because they've practiced and trained to make it. Gretzky made the natural plays and when he could no longer be as effective as a goal scorer any longer later in his career that part receded.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
My point with Mario, beyond the fact that he's a less dependent career goal scorer than Ovi from the PP ( :rolleyes: ), is that he was way more versatile. He had two seasons in a row where he scored double digits shorthanded goals (10, 13). He was probably the most dangerous player ever coming in one-on-one with the goalie (breakaway). Ovechkin is average in the shootout. He scored goals floating through defenses in crunch time (Minnesota 91), he scored goals with a Quebec player literally riding rodeo on his back from the redline and in.
A difference of era is all this is attributed to because Lemieux was viewed as an even worse defender than Ovechkin is now. In the modern era there is no way Lemieux would be playing on the PK.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
The insistence that PKers are good/useful defenders continues...Lemieux had a tougher road as a result of playing on a weaker team and being a more versatile player. Which isn't a knock on Ovechkin, it's just the nature of talking about probably the most technically skilled player in history compared to him.

To answer the OP's question: Yes, of course Ovechkin has a claim at best goal scorer of all time. He throws them into the net whenever he wants and has one of the best shots in history. Whether he's actually #1 is another story, but he can lay a valid claim, certainly...

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014

I don't think the numbers agree with your premise, because Lemieux never really played in the actual dead puck era. Here's the actual team numbers for Lemieux and Ovechkin on the Power Play.

GPGFGF/GPPGPPOPPG/GPPO/GPP%Lemieux GPPPGPPAPPPPPG%PPP%
84-85802763.450633630.794.540.174731122330.1750.524
85-86803133.913934251.165.310.219791749660.1830.710
86-87802973.713743780.934.730.196631919380.2570.514
87-88803193.9881105001.386.250.220772258800.2000.727
88-89803474.3381194911.496.140.242763148790.2610.664
89-90803183.975864031.085.040.213591435490.1630.570
90-91843424.071893881.064.620.2292667130.0670.146
91-92843434.083924231.105.040.217641235470.1300.511
92-93823674.4761054401.285.370.239601639550.1520.524
93-94822993.646764040.934.930.1882278150.0920.197
95-96823624.4151094201.335.120.260703148790.2840.725
96-97822853.476743390.904.130.218761522370.2030.500
00-01822813.427763750.934.570.203431616320.2110.421
01-02821982.415473350.574.090.14024212140.0430.298
02-03821892.305663600.804.390.183671431450.2120.682
Total122245363.712127960441.054.950.2128792334496820.1820.533
8923416 99145421.115.09 7642024066080.2040.614
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The first Total includes all games, while the second line excludes 90-91, 93-94, 00-01 and 01-02 as seasons where Lemieux missed too much time to be able to use the full-season numbers as a realistic basis. However, the crucial number to follow for your premise year-by-year is PPO/G. Now look at Ovechkin's totals in the same categories for his career.

GPGFGF/GPPGPPOPPG/GPPO/GPP%PPGPPAPPPPPG%PPP%
05-06822302.805724900.885.980.1472131520.2920.722
06-07822342.854674080.824.980.1641621370.2390.552
07-08822382.902653460.794.220.1882215370.3380.569
08-09822683.268853371.044.110.2521927460.2240.541
09-10823133.817793130.963.820.2521323360.1650.456
10-11822192.671462630.563.210.175717240.1520.522
11-12822182.659412450.502.990.1671310230.3170.561
12-13481463.042441640.923.420.2681611270.3640.614
13-14822252.744682910.833.550.2342415390.3530.574
14-15822372.890602370.732.890.253259340.4170.567
15-16822483.024552510.673.060.219195240.3450.436
16-17822613.183572480.703.020.230179260.2980.456
17-18822563.122552440.672.980.2251714310.3090.564
18-19822743.341492360.602.880.2081810280.3670.571
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Don't need to adjust any totals because Ovechkin doesn't miss games, but look at his PPO/G compared to Lemieux. Ovechkin's peak would normally be given as 07-08 through 09-10, and the 07-08 4.22 PPO/G is lower than all but 1 of Lemieux's full seasons. You can also see the stylistic choice Washington made by switching to the 1-3-1 in 12-13 - Ovechkin's PPA numbers dropped and his PPGs rose, but Washington had the most PPGs in the NHL over that span, and the highest PP%. [FWIW, Pittsburgh tied Washington in PPGs over that 12-13 through 18-19 period, but had 41 more opportunities, so their success rate was slightly lower.]

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Anyways, it's obviously a legitimate claim to make that Ovechkin is a better goal scorer. But I find it overly reductive to talk about goal-scoring in isolation because Ovechkin brings almost nothing else to the table...

Ovechkin is top 10 in assists since the lockout, top 3 in hits.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
because Lemieux was viewed as an even worse defender than Ovechkin is now.

By whom? You're making all kinds of claims left and right with no actual tangibility. And who said anything about defense to start with? I thought this thread was about goalscoring? You know players can have different roles on the PK, right? I doubt Lemieux was out there on the kill to muck around his own crease Chris Chelios style.... A lot of PK goals are scored on breakaways and Ovechkin is average on breakaways whereas Lemieux was top 3 ever.

In the modern era there is no way Lemieux would be playing on the PK.

Ahah?

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
By whom? You're making all kinds of claims left and right with no actual tangibility. And who said anything about defense to start with? I thought this thread was about goalscoring? You know players can have different roles on the PK, right? I doubt Lemieux was out there on the kill to muck around his own crease Chris Chelios style.... A lot of PK goals are scored on breakaways and Ovechkin is average on breakaways whereas Lemieux was top 3 ever.

Ahah?
I'm not going to dig up articles and pieces from decades ago when you're capable of doing so, but Lemieux was absolutely lamented for poor, disinterested defensive play for much of his early career. Your comment was in relation to goalscoring on the PK which in the modern era Lemieux would not be playing. My point directly related to your original point. Modern PK's do not included subpar defenders.

Ovechkin was a better skater than Lemieux in his prime and was always a threat to blow the zone, I guess he would have been playing the PK in the late 80/90's as well but deficiencies of an era don't necessarily beget a more versatile goal scorer. It's a fallacy for a comparison.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Lemieux played on the PK in 2005-06...if that's not the modern era...whoa boy...
And he didn't score a point and finished a -16 on the season. +/- is basically useless but I just wanted to bring it up to solidify my point that Lemieux playing consistently on the PK during his era and scoring was more due to era deficiencies than his versatility as a goal scorer.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Your point was Lemieux's use on the PK wasn't due to his goal scoring? I mean, sure...

Based on other follow-up comments, I can see there's little upside here anyhow. You can have the last word if you want it...

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I'm not going to dig up articles and pieces from decades ago when you're capable of doing so, but Lemieux was absolutely lamented for poor, disinterested defensive play for much of his early career. Your comment was in relation to goalscoring on the PK which in the modern era Lemieux would not be playing. My point directly related to your original point. Modern PK's do not included subpar defenders.

Ovechkin was a better skater than Lemieux in his prime and was always a threat to blow the zone, I guess he would have been playing the PK in the late 80/90's as well but deficiencies of an era don't necessarily beget a more versatile goal scorer. It's a fallacy for a comparison.

Lol. You think something revolutionary happened past the 2nd lockout and now players have to be all-round defensive geniuses/wizards to play on the PK? Bure was a mainstay on the PK all through his career, even post knee injuries: Van, Florida, national team, even in NYR when he skated in bubble gum. And he would still be today because nothing tangible has happened with the game that says otherwise. This discussion's getting way too mainboard-ish right now though, people posting long tables and stuff. Reminds me of the crowd who couldn't see Draisaitl's talent 2 years ago and claimed he was a product of McDavid.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad