Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Campbell may have his issues but imo of course it is better than Smith/Koskinen. I also love that we have Skinner to take the lesser workload and possibly evolve and make this tandem truly great and not a bandaid solution we've been going with since Roloson, or perhaps that year of Talbot. So yes, this new tandem still has to prove itself but this is the best move in net the Oilers have done in years.

The real measure of contender for the purpose of this thread is regular season performance. Smith was good for us, and in that way it is perhaps a bit of a lateral move, but the issue with Smith is that he wasn't there. It was a yearly tradition that Smith would go down with injury and then Koskinen sewered. Even if Campbell is worse than Smith at the top of his game, just having stability will go a long way to stopping the wild swings in the standings that we've seen in the past couple years. I do see the Oilers being near the top of the standings this year for this reason alone. Well, that and that I do think Woodcroft had a great and lasting effect so a full year of him will be even better, even if his win percentage goes down a bit.

I have high hopes for Skinner and he's shown well in all the games he's played so far (except for that one against Ottawa 2 seasons ago), to me he's a big wildcard in the team's fortunes this season. Smith was outstanding down the stretch last season and won us some huge games, but he single-handedly lost a few earlier in the season too (and game 1 against LA).

I think you're right that Campbell's high points don't need to be as high as long as the lows aren't as low as they were with Smith. But according to some Leafs fans he went off the rails and did cost them games down the stretch this year, so I just wish there was a longer track record of consistently good play. That's why we need Skinner to come in and be better than Koskinen was, or the team could easily find themselves with a messy goaltending situation all over again.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Toronto's problem is this:

Playoff production

Draisaitl - 1.59 ppg
McDavid - 1.49 ppg
MacKinnon - 1.32 ppg
Kucherov - 1.13 ppg
Matthews - 0.85 ppg
Marner - 0.85 ppg

Leafs top players are a mile behind the Oilers top players when the playoffs start.
Edmontons issues have always been depth, when McDrai aren't on the ice, it looks like a beer league team out there. When the blue line features guys like Nurse, Barrie, Ceci you have major issues. 2 of those guys couldn't crack the a roster spot on the other 31 teams in the league and the Oilers are giving them big time minutes. Just an absolutely horrendous blue line, one of if not the worst in the league.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Edmontons issues have always been depth, when McDrai aren't on the ice, it looks like a beer league team out there. When the blue line features guys like Nurse, Barrie, Ceci you have major issues. 2 of those guys couldn't crack the a roster spot on the other 31 teams in the league and the Oilers are giving them big time minutes. Just an absolutely horrendous blue line, one of if not the worst in the league.

The Oilers blue line is definitely a weak point but Barrie and Ceci are decent NHL defensemen that would be on most NHL defenses. Unfortunately in many cases this site has become more about hyperbole and getting a reaction. Your post is an example of this type of borderline trolling.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

The Oilers are not the same team as the Oilers past where it's just McDavid and Draisaitl anymore though.

The additions of Kane and Hyman upfront in particular have bolstered the offensive fire power, still have RNH too, their top six can flat out knock a lot of teams straight up on their ass.

Even Colorado was having problems containing their forward fire power in the playoffs, they shut them down (master class) in game 2, but the other 3/4 games the Oilers were scoring 4+ goals on average. If Colorado is having issues, other teams will be having nightmares.

Not so easy to slow McDavid and Draisaitl when they actually have some winger depth not junk like Chiarelli left like Lucic. Evander Kane is gonna bury those odd man rushes, so is Hyman.

People crap on Barrie too, but he scored a massive goal in round 1 for the Oilers (game 6 winning goal to tie the series at 3-3 and set up the Oilers series win) and he set up another massive goal in the Calgary series (game 4's game winner from RNH just a few minutes after Mike Smith had let in a back breaking goal from the other end of the ice).

Leafs fans need to get over themselves with the whole "this guy didn't play well for us! It means they're the worst player ever!!!". It's such petty bullshit, just because a player doesn't have a dream season in Toronto does not make them worthless. You guys did the same shit with Anderson supposedly being washed up/finished/useless too. Get out of your tunnel vision.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
My predictions after 1 game this season:

Oilers win - We've finally found a goalie to take us far! Stanley Cup here we come!
Oilers lose - Told you Campbell sucks. LOL 5 more years.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
lol

It's time to let it go. You can be happy for players that excel after they leave the Leafs.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
The title of this thread says Campbell might possibly be the reason they might be top 5. I wouldn’t agree with that statement, but would agree there are few teams as dynamic. Another year of maturity will do wonders. They should be able to obliterate teams occasionally with Kane, Hyman (and Holloway) giving them more physical speed and finish all year and growth from Bouch. One top pair hammer away I’d say. They are closer and only a fool would bet against IMO.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
As for the Oilers' forward corps, they need all of McLeod, Puljujarvi and Yamamoto to improve another level while hoping Holloway makes an instant impact.

Kane - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Hyman - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
McLeod - RNH - Holloway

That's the group barring additions. Guaranteed to be two of McLeod, Holloway, Yama and Pulju on a single line.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
My predictions after 1 game this season:

Oilers win - We've finally found a goalie to take us far! Stanley Cup here we come!
Oilers lose - Told you Campbell sucks. LOL 5 more years.

Maybe the reactionaries on this board, Oiler fans themselves? Yawn.

We already did the goaltending drama/rollercoaster up and lots of downs last year, no one is demanding Campbell carry the Oilers to the playoffs even. Just be yourself dude.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Its arguable whether Campbell is even an upgrade over Smith lol

They will at least be in the conference finals again though because the division is god awful

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
By next season, the Oilers defence corps will be something like:
Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Bouchard
Broberg - Barrie

#1/2 - #3/4
#4/5 - #3
#5/6 - #5/6

Doesn't cut it.

I doubt it. Almost 100% guaranteed the Oilers will be looking to spend a 1st for a pretty substantial D upgrade at some point in the next year or so, the Oilers have never spent a 1st round pick in the McDavid-era, it is time to play that card.

Its arguable whether Campbell is even an upgrade over Smith lol

They will at least be in the conference finals again though because the division is god awful

A younger version of Smith is fine. The main issue with Smith was that he was freaking 40 years old. Not that he can't play, just at his age, the ups and downs were wildly up and down.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
By next season, the Oilers defence corps will be something like:
Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Bouchard
Broberg - Barrie

#1/2 - #3/4
#4/5 - #3
#5/6 - #5/6

Doesn't cut it.
That’s a fair assessment, but by that same standard, if one of the two young dmen in Bouchard or Broberg can improve on last season and step up one point, suddenly the d-corps is fair or good. The plan is clearly to rely on some natural growth given the cap constraints.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I ranked 3 higher, then ranked the rest “as good”. Learn to read. I bet your American with that amazing educational system you guys have down there
You said "at least as good."

Before you start slanging dumb insults, you should re-read your own post. And your grammar/spelling needs some work. Not sure what my nationality has to do with anything, but damn I hope you're not a Canadian - that would be pretty embarrassing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That’s a fair assessment, but by that same standard, if one of the two young dmen in Bouchard or Broberg can improve on last season and step up one point, suddenly the d-corps is fair or good. The plan is clearly to rely on some natural growth given the cap constraints.

I don't really even agree here.

As Bouchard develops, Barrie + 1st for a higher end defensive D is easily a play I can see as being obvious for the Oilers.

Reactions: PuckG

Mack a doodle doo

Apr 16, 2016
He’s some dynamic skater? LOL.
FYI Draisaitl would consistently beat Taylor Hall during the speed competition(Lap around the rink) during the Oilers yearly skill competition. Draisaitl also Objectively possesses some of the best balance on his skates of any player in the league, top five certainly.The guys become a very underrated skater.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I don't really even agree here.

As Bouchard develops, Barrie + 1st for a higher end defensive D is easily a play I can see as being obvious for the Oilers.
Yes or that. You combine that with what should be a year in which both young players improve, and I don’t think we’re in as much trouble as everyone here wants to believe.

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Even if true, what does that even mean? And why are you so proud of it?

You have amazing powers of deduction about people from only reading a few words. It's an amazing talent... you should try doing it in normal life talking to people. I'm sure they would love it.

Are you a profiler?

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Imagine being a Leafs fan and coming into a thread to backup the Flames because you haven't been born to witness a single playoff round victory. Jesus that's sad.

Stay out of an argument between two rival fanbases when you have literally NO basis to get involved. Better yet, before you start catching some strays.
oh give me a break. what did I hurt your feelings? I threw what he said right back at him. this has nothing to do with the Leafs but nice to try and take it there and Im sure this message can be directed at the 4 or 5 other oilers fans that replied.

fair enough not going to lie. I wasn't expecting a Yes here.

Did the Flames play the Colorado? I guess that means they would have lost in 2 games to Colorado?
every series is different but maybe

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
oh give me a break. what did I hurt your feelings? I threw what he said right back at him. this has nothing to do with the Leafs but nice to try and take it there and Im sure this message can be directed at the 4 or 5 other oilers fans that replied.

fair enough not going to lie. I wasn't expecting a Yes here.

every series is different but maybe

I enjoyed that response response... lol

Bring on 2022-2023.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I don't expect Bouchard to breach #3 or Broberg #5 by this upcoming season's end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad