Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
You should hear all the delusional excuses Oilers fans make for being swept in the WCF. Injuries were near the top of the list of their excuses. But when it comes to Calgary having injuries in the Oilers-Flames series, they suddenly don’t matter.

Yeah, Chris Tanev is all we heard about. Who knew one player would unravel the entire flames team.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Betting odds I've seen have them as 6th after Colorado, Toronto, Tampa, Florida and Carolina. The offense is high end, the defence and goaltending is average.
Those betting odds seem pretty bang on to me. I’d have St Lou 6th and then Calgary/Edmonton in the mix behind them.

So no, they are not a top 5 contender IMO

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Well they were conference finalists with a worse goalie so it's possible. I think they are closer than many realize but there are a few variables, like with nearly any other team.
is Campbell drastically better than Smith? Afterall Oilers fans were happy with Smith and were worried of his injuries vs. his play. Campbell is not that good otherwise the Leafs would have kept him.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Jack Campbell didnt make leafs a top 5 contending team so I dont know why it would make Oilers a top 5 contending team. And Leafs have much better D and had lots of forward depth to boot. No Jack Campbell has not proven anything. Maybe if Oilers had gotten Vasilevsky, then you could say somethimg like this but Campbell???
Campbell could have if any of Matthews, Tavares, Marner or Nylander would ever show up in a game 7.

Reactions: Rangers ftw

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Oilers didn't have Woodcroft either. What's your point?

Edmonton was already a Conference Finalist and improved.

Vancouver improved, but there is no argument they are at Edmonton level. I do hope they turn the corner this year though.
Only because of the divisional format, in a 1-8 seeding system they would very likely have been out in round 1 last year. Jack Campbell is an average starting goalie, I don't think he's that game breaker that would make them a top 5 contender. Right now I have Colorado, Carolina, Toronto, NY Rangers, Tampa as the top 5, Oilers somewhere in the 6-10 range. I just don't believe in their blue line, Nurse is really not a #1 D even though he's being paid like one. It's all offence, no defence, no depth. They will easily make the playoffs, at least make the 2nd round, I don't trust them beyond that. Far too many question marks on D.

If they can add a stud blue liner they would immediately be a top 5 contender imo, McDavid/Drai are more than good enough to carry the forward group, just gott solidify the D core.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
tik-tok-kombucha.gif

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Top 5 in the conference? sure. Top 5 in the NHL? I have Florida, Tampa, Toronto, Pitt, NYRangers, Colorado, Stlouis, Calgary in front. Nashville, Washington, Vancouver and Minnesota atleast as good. So no.
You say top 5 in the conference, then list 6 teams in their conference that you rank higher.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I would say they are better now than before. Not because Campbell is much better than Smith but his chances of staying healthy is much better, which makes them have a better goalie in more games.

They are better....

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
You say top 5 in the conference, then list 6 teams in their conference that you rank higher.
I ranked 3 higher, then ranked the rest “as good”. Learn to read. I bet your American with that amazing educational system you guys have down there

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
If Broberg blows the doors off and plays better than Keith does last season, yes the Oilers will absolutely be a top 5 contender. That's a pretty big if though tbh. If he doesn't then the Oilers can get another top 4 D at the deadline however so I'm not too worried.

I think Campbell is a slight upgrade on Smith because doesn't play as nearly as risky as Smith did with the puck. That will help some.

Colorado, Tampa, St. Louis, Florida, and New York are all better. I think Edmonton or Carolina are in number 6.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I won't say Campbell is THE move that will put us over until he actually does well here.

Goaltending stability has been one of our core weaknessses, so it's not a bad question to ask, but we didn't add Vasilevskiy. Campbell is a great goalie to bet on though.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You can be a top 5 season team without great goaltending.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
The best part about delusional Oilers fans (outside of them thinking the WCF was a very close series) is them thinking that Campbell is an upgrade on Smith/Koskinen. Holland paid double for a goalie that is, at best, a lateral move.

View attachment 583167

The Maple leafs had the worst goaltending of any playoff team. And Campbell was a huge part of that.
You are aware this doesn't account at all for how a puck got to shooting position and which position every other player on ice is?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Only because of the divisional format, in a 1-8 seeding system they would very likely have been out in round 1 last year. Jack Campbell is an average starting goalie, I don't think he's that game breaker that would make them a top 5 contender. Right now I have Colorado, Carolina, Toronto, NY Rangers, Tampa as the top 5, Oilers somewhere in the 6-10 range. I just don't believe in their blue line, Nurse is really not a #1 D even though he's being paid like one. It's all offence, no defence, no depth. They will easily make the playoffs, at least make the 2nd round, I don't trust them beyond that. Far too many question marks on D.

If they can add a stud blue liner they would immediately be a top 5 contender imo, McDavid/Drai are more than good enough to carry the forward group, just gott solidify the D core.
Why is Toronto in your top 5 then? Their D is worse and their goaltending is significantly worse. Both their goalies combined SV% in the last 2 years is less than .899. Also 6ix straight 1st round exits with that core

joke list lmao

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
in any case, probably not a top 5 team...probably 6-8th in the NHL

blue-chip prospect Philip Broberg could be the key on the backend this year...if he can blossom into a reliable everyday player, it should the defense immensely
Evan Bouchard should also get even better

as for Campbell, at least he provides some stability...Smith and Koskinen were either injured, amazing or terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad