Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Colorado, Tampa, Carolina, NYR are my top 4.

Toronto, Edmonton, St Louis, Florida, Calgary all battle it out for the 5th spot. I personally put Toronto in the 5th spot. Yes I know, blah blah first round. But Tampa is getting weaker.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Jack Campbell didnt make leafs a top 5 contending team so I dont know why it would make Oilers a top 5 contending team. And Leafs have much better D and had lots of forward depth to boot. No Jack Campbell has not proven anything. Maybe if Oilers had gotten Vasilevsky, then you could say somethimg like this but Campbell???
The funny thing is, there are only so many teams in the league that the leafs can say that about. Just goes to show how much of a dumpster fire the Oiler's D core really is.

Colorado, Tampa, Carolina, NYR are my top 4.

Toronto, Edmonton, St Louis, Florida, Calgary all battle it out for the 5th spot. I personally put Toronto in the 5th spot. Yes I know, blah blah first round. But Tampa is getting weaker.
Toronto and Edmonton do not belong in the same class as Florida, Calgary, and St. Louis. Toronto should try winning ONE series first before even thinking about that.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
If he's the Jack Campbell that came in and stole Freddy Andersen's job. I think it's possible.
If you get the Jack Campbell of most of last season then I'd give it a Hard No.

Edmonton has a good team now but imo their D has lacked a little and got less love then their offence
it all depend how Bouchard and Broberg are I think they will be good NHLers but need some seasoning before they can be considered reliable

SUX2BU

User of an ad-infested forum
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
1662816574068.gif

Reactions: Rangers ftw

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
The funny thing is, there are only so many teams in the league that the leafs can say that about. Just goes to show how much of a dumpster fire the Oiler's D core really is.

Toronto and Edmonton do not belong in the same class as Florida, Calgary, and St. Louis. Toronto should try winning ONE series first before even thinking about that.
So will Toronto get some respect back around here once we finally win a series? took Florida since what 96 to win that 1st round then they got swept right after? not sure there's much to brag about

and the bottom line makes sense towards Toronto but why did you mention Edmonton? They atleast won a series, actually they won 2 series this year
Florida and Calgary both got embarrassed in the 2nd round

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

The Leafs might have a better D, but the gap up front when it comes to the playoffs is pretty huge the other way.

Draisaitl had 1 less point in this year's playoffs than Matthews has in six playoffs haha.

Your top players actually showing up makes a big difference.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016

How would you not consider Edmonton in the same class as the team they just eliminated in 5 games? Silly take.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
I have gathered that everyone who does not cheer for the Oilers strongly dislikes them.

Other key takeaways-

-a team who with their current core has never won more than 3 games in a 7 game series- is far and away better than a team who just visited the conference finals

- Calgary is a far superior team to Edmonton, mostly “because”

- Edmonton wouldn’t be a contender next season even if they won the cup. We’d hear how it was all luck and yadda yadda yadda.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Edmonton will be playoff team but top5 is too much. Then anything could happen in playoffs.

Forward group is one of the best in NHL. If Kane continues like last year, maybe the best, Cambell will be alright.

Problem is the defence. They rely too much on Nurse. They still have Ceci as a 2nd D. And losing Keith will hurt.
O rlly?

He was apparently the worst defenceman in the NHL when the Oilers acquired him. Now he's a big loss. Never change main boards. :laugh:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The best part about delusional Oilers fans (outside of them thinking the WCF was a very close series) is them thinking that Campbell is an upgrade on Smith/Koskinen. Holland paid double for a goalie that is, at best, a lateral move.

View attachment 583167

The Maple leafs had the worst goaltending of any playoff team. And Campbell was a huge part of that.
If you want to learn something about evaluating goaltenders, bookmark this post and compare it to next seasons results and watch how significantly these rankings and stats change.

Goaltending stats are heavily team-based. And evaluating them individually is far more intricate than simple stat watching. Seeing Grubauer and Nedelkovic at the bottom of that list should tell you that much, shouldn't it?

Reactions: Mav3rick07

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto

We need to win one series yes and I know many like to poke fun but it will happen. Now that the eastern giants have declined a bit. Toronto certainly belongs More than Calgary and Florida. Calvary only moved laterally. They barely squeaked by a weak Dallas team and got embarrassed by Edmonton. Toronto would have also beat Dallas and probably Edmonton. Florida also got worst.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
My top 7 contenders are:
Colorado
Tampa
Carolina
NYR
Florida/Toronto/St. Louis

Then I think Calgary, Minnesota and Edmonton are in the mix. So top 10 team.

I have trouble calling Edmonton a top contender when they got swept in 4 straight by Colorado and finished second in a weak Pacific Division. And they haven’t really made significant additions from last year aside from Campbell who was no better than Smith last year. The defense imo is still their Achilles’ Heel. It’s by far the worst of any contender.

That said, having two of the best players in the world in their primes means they could definitely make the WC Finals again if some breaks go their way.

Last edited:
Reactions: olafsson

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Looks like MTL might re-sign him but Jake Allen is a guy the Oilers should target.

Campbell needs another guy to help carry the load. Oilers are going to see the same troubles the leafs saw if its just him carrying the load.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
How would you not consider Edmonton in the same class as the team they just eliminated in 5 games? Silly take.

You should hear all the delusional excuses Oilers fans make for being swept in the WCF. Injuries were near the top of the list of their excuses. But when it comes to Calgary having injuries in the Oilers-Flames series, they suddenly don’t matter.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
You should hear all the delusional excuses Oilers fans make for being swept in the WCF. Injuries were near the top of the list of their excuses. But when it comes to Calgary having injuries in the Oilers-Flames series, they suddenly don’t matter.

What does that have anything to do at all with this thread? Everyone is banged up in the playoffs.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Oil are one Dman away from being a powerhouse IMO. That's the achilles, the D is good but not great. Campbell is a nice stablizing force which should help. The forwards are deep and good. Upgrade the D (top 4 not bottom pair) and we got something!

Definitely a Cup contender this season though barring bad luck and injuries.

The90

Feb 27, 2017

Lol. Bet your tune would be different if you were talking about St Louis before their cup win. They won a grand total of (drumroll please), 4 rounds in the 13 years before they eventually won the cup. I bet that made all the difference, though.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
I don’t think it’s reasonable since Vancouver didnt have boudreau for the whole year and improved
Oilers didn't have Woodcroft either. What's your point?

Edmonton was already a Conference Finalist and improved.

Vancouver improved, but there is no argument they are at Edmonton level. I do hope they turn the corner this year though.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
What does that have anything to do at all with this thread? Everyone is banged up in the playoffs.
You made the observation that people are flawed in putting the Flames above the Oilers based on the outcome of that series. Do you not remember saying that? Have you forgotten already?

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Betting odds I've seen have them as 6th after Colorado, Toronto, Tampa, Florida and Carolina. The offense is high end, the defence and goaltending is average.

Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad