Value of: Arber Xhekaj value in a trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Zadorov just went for a 3rd and 5th. In an ideal world he realistically becomes a similar player to him one day. Given that he’s a lesser player today but younger, I’d imagine his value is similar, but definitely not more

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Xhekaj started the season with everyone healthy

Lindstrom and Struble will be the ones leaving

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Kovacevic
Harris

this is what a healthy Habs def would look like ( yea i know its bad )
i think the coaching staff prefers harris to xhekaj since harris averages 4 more minutes a game. that's a pretty significant difference

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Zadorov just went for a 3rd and 5th. In an ideal world he realistically becomes a similar player to him one day. Given that he’s a lesser player today but younger, I’d imagine his value is similar, but definitely not more
As mentioned earlier, Zadorov is a pending UFA who requested a trade. Xhekaj is a 22 year old waiver exempt player who has 4 years of team control. He hasn't requested a trade and Montréal isn't shopping him. So what Zadorov went for really isn't pertinent. Situationally speaking it's comparing apples to oranges

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Ah some don't know the difference between demoted and a conditioning stint.

ONE FAN SAID IT .Like you both are in the minority.
Run along and plan your parade.
I will be cheering for you guys at the draft again this year, good luck!

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
i think the coaching staff prefers harris to xhekaj since harris averages 4 more minutes a game. that's a pretty significant difference
Maybe they trust Harris more tbh im far from an expert when it comes to advanced stats but i feel like Xhekaj brings more to the table

Personally i much rather have Wifi in my line up and i havent seen the coaching staff bench him yet compared to Harris but i guess will see moving forward i obviously could be wrong

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Laffy is inching up in value closer to a 50 point forward so that trade gap is widening. I just brought him up as an example of an underachieving player. There are others of lesser value with potential, which was the point of this thread.

Reality is that X has a bit of an unknown upside. Right now is not the time to trade him unless of course another team has a similar situation and player.
Yup, I like draft picks because they usually have more value sitting at draft table. Than at trade deadline. That way I get more. I see draft picks as cash. Trades as a barter system.

Wifi doubt they trade him unless blown away. But we are deep on L defense and another GM may see same thing in Wifi. We may get core young player? But otherwise I keep him.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
As mentioned earlier, Zadorov is a pending UFA who requested a trade. Xhekaj is a 22 year old waiver exempt player who has 4 years of team control. He hasn't requested a trade and Montréal isn't shopping him. So what Zadorov went for really isn't pertinent. Situationally speaking it's comparing apples to oranges
And Zadorov is a proven quantity (much better player) who even scored 14 goals last year. It's a good comparable value wise.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
And Zadorov is a proven quantity (much better player) who even scored 14 goals last year. It's a good comparable value wise.
It really isn't. Zadorov's prime is now, Xhekaj might have untapped potential, but to get to it means a team intends to give him ice time to develop a more well-rounded game.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
It really isn't. Zadorov's prime is now, Xhekaj might have untapped potential, but to get to it means a team intends to give him ice time to develop a more well-rounded game.
And Zadorov's prime is a legit best case scenario for Xhekaj. In terms of trade value they're probably pretty close, which is what people are saying.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
And Zadorov's prime is a legit best case scenario for Xhekaj. In terms of trade value they're probably pretty close, which is what people are saying.
People aren't saying that, you are.

It's not a good comparison also because Zadorov was traded as a rental, and rentals have different valuations than young players with years of team control. Zadorov also has a significant cap hit, and Vancouver was one of the rare teams able to take it on without retention or returning a contract.

The players can have many points in common without being useful for gauging respective trade value.

Reactions: Qwijibo

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
But the situations arent remotely similar. Calgary had to move Zadorov and quite frankly they got taken to the woodshed by Allvin. Montreal can afford to sit back and see how Xhekaj develops going forward. He doesn't even require waivers. Value wise it may be similar but there's no urgency for Montreal to make a deal, if at all. So realistically I don't think tesms could expect to get Xhekaj for what Zadorov went for

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
People aren't saying that, you are.

It's not a good comparison also because Zadorov was traded as a rental, and rentals have different valuations than young players with years of team control. Zadorov also has a significant cap hit, and Vancouver was one of the rare teams able to take it on without retention or returning a contract.

The players can have many points in common without being useful for gauging respective trade value.
But the situations arent remotely similar. Calgary had to move Zadorov and quite frankly they got taken to the woodshed by Allvin. Montreal can afford to sit back and see how Xhekaj develops going forward. He doesn't even require waivers. Value wise it may be similar but there's no urgency for Montreal to make a deal, if at all. So realistically I don't think tesms could expect to get Xhekaj for what Zadorov went for
I'm not arguing the difference between rentals/young players with team control. The title of this thread is Value of Arber Xhekaj in a trade. I said it is similar to Zadorov. I'm not discussing his development or saying Montreal should accept a trade for a 3rd. I am saying what I believe his value is...which is what the thread was created for.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
.... Montreal can afford to sit back and see how Xhekaj develops going forward. He doesn't even require waivers. ...
I disagree there. Montreal has a surplus of young D, and they won't all get enough ice time to develop to their full potential, so some will end up getting moved. Will that be Harris, Xhekaj, Struble, Hutson or Guhle? There is no immediate rush, but I would expect Habs management to listen closely to offers for Xhekaj

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I'm not arguing the difference between rentals/young players with team control. The title of this thread is Value of Arber Xhekaj in a trade. I said it is similar to Zadorov. I'm not discussing his development or saying Montreal should accept a trade for a 3rd. I am saying what I believe his value is...which is what the thread was created for.
And I'm arguing that Xhekaj and Zadorovs trade values are not the same, for all the reasons I outlined.

• Haha

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
And I'm arguing that Xhekaj and Zadorovs trade values are not the same, for all the reasons I outlined.
What do you realistically think he could be traded for? Not what you would want him to be traded for, but based on past trades, what do you think would be realistic?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think they are confusing the fact that the players have a few similarities and that their estimates for trade value are similar, into thinking there's a link between the two facts.

My car and a large amount of high-end caviar have the same value on the open market, but that doesn't mean there's a legit comparison to be made between the two.

And many on here have disagreed with that take.
Even if the values are similar, that's coincidence more than anything else.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I mean, I'll certainly admit I'm wrong if it happens. Which is not completely out of the possibility I admit.

I just feel like the value for him is getting exaggerated. You think he's shown THAT much a bit over year since coming out of juniors undrafted? I'm not saying he's not a very intriguing player with potential. But...already a first round pick? Shouldn't he be getting consistent time further up the lineup for that kind of return?
Alex Newhook is a smallish LW that didn’t show much potential in his time with the Avs. He netted them a late first and high second round pick in a great draft.

22 year old NHL ready Dmen that are 6’4 240 lbs and know how to skate, hit, block shots and fight don’t grow on trees. He’d fetch a late 1st right now. Teams would assume he’d be a 10 year career ahead of him. Even if just as a 4/5th D guy.

Good use of a 29th overall pick for a team trying to contend today.

And Habs say no to that offer. Btw.

And I’m not within the same time zone as a Habs fan. I’m surprised how bad they are this season but that ain’t my club.

A well run team like Dallas or Vegas would easily part with a late first to acquire Arber Xhekaj. Dallas already did something like this a few years ago with Lindqvist. And Dallas drafts better than most clubs too.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsAddict

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Who is your best comparable then?
Players can have the same trade value without it being for the same reasons.

I don't think I'd trade much more than a couple mid round picks for a young player who could either be Radko Gudas or Kurtis MacDermid unless I saw plenty of evidence he was closer to Gudas.

Last edited:

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
Is he the type of player that teams would actively seek out in a trade? He seems like a throw in piece to even out money or something.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
This is a
Alex Newhook is a smallish LW that didn’t show much potential in his time with the Avs. He netted them a late first and high second round pick in a great draft.

22 year old NHL ready Dmen that are 6’4 240 lbs and know how to skate, hit, block shots and fight don’t grow on trees. He’d fetch a late 1st right now. Teams would assume he’d be a 10 year career ahead of him. Even if just as a 4/5th D guy.

Good use of a 29th overall pick for a team trying to contend today.

And Habs say no to that offer. Btw.

And I’m

Newhook was also a first round pick who had two full seasons and over 60 points under his belt. And put loads of points virtually everywhere he played before the NHL.

I hardly think that’s comparable to a guy who got onto the Habs in a try out and has played less than a full season at mostly bottom pairing minutes.

I’ll gladly eat my words if I’m wrong on this and Xhekaj gets traded (unlikely that he gets traded period IMO) for something big back. But I am wholly unconvinced.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Is he the type of player that teams would actively seek out in a trade? He seems like a throw in piece to even out money or something.
If you think his max is 7th D fighter, perhaps.

But if you think he has top-4 potential, then he's someone a team will want to develop and build around, though he might not be the centerpiece of a large trade.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
This is a

Newhook was also a first round pick who had two full seasons and over 60 points under his belt. And put loads of points virtually everywhere he played before the NHL.

I hardly think that’s comparable to a guy who got onto the Habs in a try out and has played less than a full season at mostly bottom pairing minutes.

I’ll gladly eat my words if I’m wrong on this and Xhekaj gets traded (unlikely that he gets traded period IMO) for something big back. But I am wholly unconvinced.
If Dallas gave up a first for Nils Lundqvist, this guy would fetch as much.

Alex Newhook struggled with possession and winning pick battles. He lost too many. Wasn’t good along the boards or in front of the net. If points were the only thing that matters for forwards, he’d still be on the Avs.

Hockey is a hell of a lot more than goals and assists.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad