Value of: Arber Xhekaj value in a trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
So I’m just coming back to this thread after a couple days.

There actually are people that seriously think Xhekaj lands a first?

I just can’t find any historical precedent that would indicate that is a possibility
Ryan Graves landed the Avs a 2nd and a decent prospect. And he was 3 years older and making $3.2mm per on a deal that walked him right into UFA. And the Avs had to deal him before the expansion draft. And still got that haul.

This player is 22. He’s 6’4 and 240 lbs. decent skater and fighter. He hits and block shots.

There would be a sizable audience if the Habs were stupid enough to entertain offers.

Florida gave the Habs a 1st for rental Chiarot for F’s sake. And you think this guy is worth less? Avs gave up the equivalent of 2 2nds for Josh Manson.

I can come up with all kinds of examples here.

It’s ok to admit you’re just… wrong.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

I just can’t find any historical precedent that would indicate that is a possibility
Well, John Kordic once landed Russ Courtnall, but then Gord Stellick never got another job as a GM after that and Harold Ballard and John Brophy are both dead.

Outside of Ballard coming back to life, I really don't see much chance of that either.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

When has a player of his ilk been traded in year two of his NHL career?

Reactions: HabsAddict

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
When has a player of his ilk been traded in year two of his NHL career?
You mean, like a marginal minor-league player that can fight?

Stu Grimson?

Usually marginal players like that go unsigned or lost on waivers after they have enough service time because they have little to no trade value and can't hold a roster spot -- sort of like, well, a guy who's in Laval now.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You mean, like a marginal minor-league player that can fight?

Stu Grimson?

Usually marginal players like that go unsigned or lost on waivers after they have enough service time because they have little to no trade value and can't hold a roster spot -- sort of like, well, a guy who's in Laval now.
Nope, try again.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Ryan Graves landed the Avs a 2nd and a decent prospect. And he was 3 years older and making $3.2mm per on a deal that walked him right into UFA. And the Avs had to deal him before the expansion draft. And still got that haul.

This player is 22. He’s 6’4 and 240 lbs. decent skater and fighter. He hits and block shots.

There would be a sizable audience if the Habs were stupid enough to entertain offers.

Florida gave the Habs a 1st for rental Chiarot for F’s sake. And you think this guy is worth less? Avs gave up the equivalent of 2 2nds for Josh Manson.

I mean, I'll certainly admit I'm wrong if it happens. Which is not completely out of the possibility I admit.

I just feel like the value for him is getting exaggerated. You think he's shown THAT much a bit over year since coming out of juniors undrafted? I'm not saying he's not a very intriguing player with potential. But...already a first round pick? Shouldn't he be getting consistent time further up the lineup for that kind of return?

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Nope, try again.
You're quite right.

Grimson went unsigned after two seasons with the Flames, and was later let go in an expansion draft.

Two years into his career he wasn't good enough to be traded.

Not many undrafted fighters like Xhekaj and Grimson are good enough to have any trade value that early in their career, let alone go for a high draft pick.

That would be the exception, not the rule.

I think a first-round pick for Xhekaj is very unrealistic at this point in his career. A third-rounder would be top dollar.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You're quite right.

Grimson went unsigned after two seasons with the Flames, and was later let go in an expansion draft.

Two years into his career he wasn't good enough to be traded.

Not many undrafted fighters like Xhekaj and Grimson are good enough to have any trade value that early in their career, let alone go for a high draft pick.

That would be the exception, not the rule.

I think a first-round pick for Xhekaj is very unrealistic at this point in his career. A third-rounder would be top dollar.
Nope, try again.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

Not many undrafted fighters like Xhekaj ...
Part of the issue is his potential other than as a fighter. Is he a top-4D who can add a physical element, or will he stay a 3d pairing fighter ? I'd have hoped for some proposals based on the higher range of his potential, and not just what we already know he can do.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Part of the issue is his potential other than as a fighter. Is he a top-4D who can add a physical element, or will he stay a 3d pairing fighter ? I'd have hoped for some proposals based on the higher range of his potential, and not just what we already know he can do.
At 22 and a lot of junior development missing, we need to give him a few years to hit his stride. A lot of his defensive decision become instinctive as he gets experience and that will certainly cut down on mistakes.

Same thing for Komi who started hockey later in his young life, but he NEVER learned. Didn't improve his reads nor learned how to close the gap.

THIS time i think we got a better player and higher potential.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014

One, Yes ONE Hab fan said that. Nice twist.

cope harder

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I love how buried within OPs opening sales pitch he pretty much tells you all that’s he’s unplayable.

Can’t skate, no vision means he’s not an NHL defenceman.

Meanwhile, guys who saw a highlight of him being tough during the Jackeye hype campaign from when he entered the league are like: “omg willl you take a 3rd for him????”

Reactions: SNES

mab894

Nov 27, 2017
I'd maybe do a 2nd for him. Nothing more than that tho. Intriguing player but he certainly has his flaws

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I don't think this player has done nearly enough at the NHL level to garner more than a 4th/5th. He's a depth Dman on a bottom 5 team and he's not a vet so teams won't see him as a playoff add. He's not some blue chipper either so idk why he'd be seen as anything more than a project.

Reactions: SNES

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I'd maybe do a 2nd for him. Nothing more than that tho. Intriguing player but he certainly has his flaws
He's 22, has 68 NHL games experience and 0 AHL. He's still developing. So yes, he has flaws. Do you believe what he is today is what he'll be in 2-3 years?

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
You might get that, but its probably not a first-round draft pick.

I think the OP was more than a bit out of line to shit all over someone's genuine suggestion of a third. A simple "no thanks" would do.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
You might get that, but its probably not a first-round draft pick.

I think the OP was more than a bit out of line to shit all over someone's genuine suggestion of a third. A simple "no thanks" would do.
The biggest problem is how guys like this are moved for similar assets, and rarely for picks, but picks are a better way to gauge value without getting bogged down in how different kids are rated.

I'd want a stalled forward around 21 or 22, who isn't reaching his potential... yet. An equivalent to Phillip Danault when the Habs got him for scraps.

mab894

Nov 27, 2017
He's 22, has 68 NHL games experience and 0 AHL. He's still developing. So yes, he has flaws. Do you believe what he is today is what he'll be in 2-3 years?
Not sure. I wouldn't want to spend more than a 2nd to find out tho.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Not sure. I wouldn't want to spend more than a 2nd to find out tho.
I'm not saying the value is out of line. Only that pointing out the fact that has flaws without acknowledging how young and raw he still is just seems a bit one sided. He's 22 with 5 years of team control remaining. He's played 68 nhl games and for the most part he hasn't looked out of his depth. He brings a skillset that's rare in today's NHL. (Big, tough, can actually play and contribute).

So even if the offer is fair there's really no reason for Montreal to accept it right now. They do have a lot of young developing D in the pipeline so the day is coming when they'll have to move a couple guys or lose them. But I think right now Montreal is more interested In seeing what sort of player he can be.

I doubt they would have drafted his brother this past June of they had intentions of shipping him out right away

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad