Value of: Arber Xhekaj value in a trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
If Dallas gave up a first for Nils Lundqvist, this guy would fetch as much.

Alex Newhook struggled with possession and winning pick battles. He lost too many. Wasn’t good along the boards or in front of the net. If points were the only thing that matters for forwards, he’d still be on the Avs.

Hockey is a hell of a lot more than goals and assists.
Well of course.

But even though Newhook may have been “struggling”, he was a highly touted prospect drafted in the first round. That buys you leeway and keeps your value high especially when you’re still 21.

I have serious doubts that Xhekaj has gone from undrafted walk-on player to worth a first round pick in a trade because he’s shown the ability to put up effective bottom pairing minutes in less than a year’s time.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I think I've figured this out.

Proposal: Would you like to wash my wonderful balls?

Answer: No, actually I would prefer not to.

Response: Who the hell do you think you are to disrespect my glorious balls?

Hint: the correct response to this thread would have been "Yes, you have the most exquisite balls known to mankind. You are so so fortunate and, sadly, I could never dream of acquiring said balls. So instead, I will have to make do by paying homage to them, and you, by lathering them in a most loving and tender manner"

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
I think I've figured this out.

Proposal: Would you like to wash my wonderful balls?

Answer: No, actually I would prefer not to.

Response: Who the hell do you think you are to disrespect my glorious balls?

Hint: the correct response to this thread would have been "Yes, you have the most exquisite balls known to mankind. You are so so fortunate and, sadly, I could never dream of acquiring said balls. So instead, I will have to make do by paying homage to them, and you, by lathering them in a most loving and tender manner"
You summed it all exquisitely. The guy was just sent down to the AHL and most of his fanbase thought this was a good move.

Why propose a trade when his value is at its lowest if you like his balls that much?

Reactions: Number8

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
You summed it all exquisitely. The guy was just sent down to the AHL and most of his fanbase thought this was a good move.

Why propose a trade when his value is at its lowest if you like his balls that much?
With Savard and Harris out and Struble called up, cant say i get that ahl stint. Could get challenged by some ahler trying to make a name. Fighter with bad shoulder…

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Well of course.

But even though Newhook may have been “struggling”, he was a highly touted prospect drafted in the first round. That buys you leeway and keeps your value high especially when you’re still 21.

I have serious doubts that Xhekaj has gone from undrafted walk-on player to worth a first round pick in a trade because he’s shown the ability to put up effective bottom pairing minutes in less than a year’s time.
Devon Toews was a low pick in the same 2014 draft a Hayden Flury and Julius Honka were high 1st rounders. Your Draft slot means next to nothing 4 years after you’re picked.

Avs took Oskar Olausson in 2021 1st round. A few picks after the Oilers took Bourgaunt. Are you telling me they still have high value because of their draft pedigree?

If so, you’re way too obsessed with where guys were picked when they were 17 or 18. NHL GMs care much less.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Devon Toews was a low pick in the same 2014 draft a Hayden Flury and Julius Honka were high 1st rounders. Your Draft slot means next to nothing 4 years after you’re picked.

Avs took Oskar Olausson in 2021 1st round. A few picks after the Oilers took Bourgaunt. Are you telling me they still have high value because of their draft pedigree?

If so, you’re way too obsessed with where guys were picked when they were 17 or 18. NHL GMs care much less.

But Xhekaj wasn’t just passed over when he was “17 or 18”. He was passed over multiple years after.

And no, I don’t think that players that haven’t produced anything will garner some kind of return just because they were drafted relatively early. My point is that a high-drafted player who hasn’t hit their potential (like Newhook) but is still producing will hold more value at 21 than an undrafted player that has shown promise.

You’re straw-manning the absolute shit out of this.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
There's obviously a massive divide here about this guy. Personally I don't think his potential is particularly high and he's not really a player I'd look to trade for, so I wouldn't give up much.

However, having seen how some NHL front offices overvalue certain traits it wouldn't shock me to see a 2nd or even late 1st on the table should MTL be willing to trade him.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
But Xhekaj wasn’t just passed over when he was “17 or 18”. He was passed over multiple years after.

And no, I don’t think that players that haven’t produced anything will garner some kind of return just because they were drafted relatively early. My point is that a high-drafted player who hasn’t hit their potential (like Newhook) but is still producing will hold more value at 21 than an undrafted player that has shown promise.

You’re so obsessed with draft position. It’s weird. Defenders develop on a longer timeline. This guy is 22. His draft year would have been 2019. It’s 2024 in a few days. Move into the present.

His advanced analytics are decent. He’s got a higher expected goals for than against, which is rare on this otherwise disappointing Habs roster.

He’s the only Habs defender you can say that about. Including Guhle.

Analytically, Xhekaj is their second best performer behind only Guhle. Ahead of Barron. Way ahead of Matheson, who is a -8 expected goals for vs against. That’s awful.

Jordan Harris is the worst player on this team. But since he was drafted, you probably think he’s valuable.

• Haha
Reactions: Bluenotes27

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
You’re so obsessed with draft position. It’s weird. Defenders develop on a longer timeline. This guy is 22. His draft year would have been 2019. It’s 2024 in a few days. Move into the present.

His advanced analytics are decent. He’s got a higher expected goals for than against, which is rare on this otherwise disappointing Habs roster.

Analytically, Xhekaj is their second best performer behind only Guhle. Ahead of Barron. Way ahead of Matheson, who is a -8 expected goals for vs against. That’s awful.

Jordan Harris is the worst player on this team. But since he was drafted, you probably think he’s valuable.
Playing less on a bad team helps one’s statline.
Harris had 5 games with 20+mins. Last 2 were 20 mins+.
X never played 20 and played 12 and 10 mins last 2. And in those games X took no penalty. And when he takes his usual 2 minor penalty, he skips 1 shift…

Not sure why its all X over Harris in this thread. For the record i view Harris as a 6th type with little upside.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Oh my God dude.

Refer back to the previous comment about a "strawman argument".

I'm not saying Xhekaj is not a good player. I am also not "obsessed with draft position". But yes, I am pointing to it in terms of valuing players who have had small stints in the NHL. Through all this hemming and hawing, you're convincing yourself that is some kind of outlandish claim.

Stop. Take a breath. I don't hate Xhekaj. I am not saying he has not impressed at the NHL level. I am not saying the Habs should not value him.

I am saying I don't think he has done enough....as a bottom-pairing defenseman...in around 60 NHL games....to go from undrafted (not just his "draft year"...multiple years thereafter) to worth a first round pick.

If you don't agree with me on that, that is fine. But to act like this is some insane opinion is doing nothing but exposing a very obvious bias in yourself.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Oh my God dude.

Refer back to the previous comment about a "strawman argument".

I'm not saying Xhekaj is not a good player. I am also not "obsessed with draft position". But yes, I am pointing to it in terms of valuing players who have had small stints in the NHL. Through all this hemming and hawing, you're convincing yourself that is some kind of outlandish claim.

Stop. Take a breath. I don't hate Xhekaj. I am not saying he has not impressed at the NHL level. I am not saying the Habs should not value him.

I am saying I don't think he has done enough....as a bottom-pairing defenseman...in around 60 NHL games....to go from undrafted (not just his "draft year"...multiple years thereafter) to worth a first round pick.

If you don't agree with me on that, that is fine. But to act like this is some insane opinion is doing nothing but exposing a very obvious bias in yourself.
You're wasting your time here. He's not listening.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
hes the 8th dman on a bottom 5 blue line in the league. little to no offense. if he didnt hit or punch hed clear waivers. a mid round pick is fair.
Y

Sometimes players develop at different rates as we are seeing with Arbor's younger brother. Better to peak later than than too early. To add to the situation Covid has made a mess of the metrics of evaluation of players and its effects will be felt for years to come.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Xhekaj for Broberg +?

Makes sense value wise, but Montreal just drafted his brother and they love Arber. Unlikely.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I will be cheering for you guys at the draft again this year, good luck!

Ya we should be sitting at a lot better spot at the draft than you guys ,and will try to be humble knowing you guys will be pulling your hair out wondering why your team sucked again during their short playoff run.

Last edited:

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Xhekaj for Broberg +?

Makes sense value wise, but Montreal just drafted his brother and they love Arber. Unlikely.
Hopefully they drafted his brother because they liked his brother.
agree its unlikely cause its their only tough player and you need that too on a team. Too bad he is a dman cause playing down a d is tougher than playing down a 4th lw.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
Zadorov requested a trade and is a pending UFA. Calgary was looking to move him. Montreal has zero reason to move Xhekaj. So I ask again. Why would Montreal accept a 3rd for a player that's still under team control, hasn't requested a trade, and the team has no need or desire to move him
The why make this thread?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
So if you are selling your car, even if it's a fairly new model and you told me it's to get a down payment for a house, you'll think 50$ is a reasonable offer ?
What you plan and hope to do with the return doesn't have a lot to do with value of what is being sold now does it?

Isn't Zadorov a decent comparable here? A third and a fifth for a more proven dman. Zadorov does make more money, he also got 14 goals last year

Why is Xhekaj worth more than Zadorov? Seems like he would be worth less to me.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
What you plan and hope to do with the return doesn't have a lot to do with value of what is being sold now does it?

Isn't Zadorov a decent comparable here? A third and a fifth for a more proven dman. Zadorov does make more money, he also got 14 goals last year

Why is Xhekaj worth more than Zadorov? Seems like he would be worth less to me.
Zadorov is a pending ufa, has a $3.75 m cap hit , requested a trade, and is what he is.

Xhekaj is 22, has 5 years of team control remaining, doesn't require waivers, has a cap hit of $828k, hasn't requested a trade, and still has room to improve, possibly dramatically (or possibly not at all)

Any team trading for him is trading for the current version AND the potential of what he might become. So although they might be similar players they really aren't good comparable when it comes to trade value

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Zadorov is a pending ufa, has a $3.75 m cap hit , requested a trade, and is what he is.

Xhekaj is 22, has 5 years of team control remaining, doesn't require waivers, has a cap hit of $828k, hasn't requested a trade, and still has room to improve, possibly dramatically (or possibly not at all)

Any team trading for him is trading for the current version AND the potential of what he might become. So although they might be similar players they really aren't good comparable when it comes to trade value
Mtl should probably keep him as based on thread he is not as valued as some mtl fans think he should be.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Mtl should probably keep him as based on thread he is not as valued as some mtl fans think he should be.
I agree. If he is moved it'll likely be in a package including some of Montreals ample draft capital to a cap strapped team for a more expensive but more developed forward. Beyond that he's more valuable to Montreal than any return he'd garner. Getting another 3rd for him does nothing tp improve the team

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Don't think the Habs would get anything that'd make it worth it to trade him, on a good team he's not even an every day 3rd pair guy rn. The flip side of that is he's still young, cheap, very raw, and has the intangibles that teams love. But for all those reasons the habs should (and probably will) hold on to him and let him develop rather then flip him for a mid round pick.
Completely agreed. He's a great story for them that hasn't finished writing itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad