Value of: Arber Xhekaj value in a trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
What you plan and hope to do with the return doesn't have a lot to do with value of what is being sold now does it?
It does have an effect on what might be a reasonable offer. Offering a 3d when the OP was about getting a high-end forward is borderline insulting. Just like offering 50$ when someone is looking for a down payment on a house when selling his car. You just say you don't need a car, you don't offer 50$.

If it were an "auction" situation, any offer goes, so for example any offer for Primeau or Allen is reasonable to make, since one of them is certainly (bar injury, etc.) getting moved over the next few weeks, so offering a 5th for Primeau might not blow anyone's mind, but it might well be accepted rather than putting him on waivers.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Zadorov is a pending ufa, has a $3.75 m cap hit , requested a trade, and is what he is.

Xhekaj is 22, has 5 years of team control remaining, doesn't require waivers, has a cap hit of $828k, hasn't requested a trade, and still has room to improve, possibly dramatically (or possibly not at all)

Any team trading for him is trading for the current version AND the potential of what he might become. So although they might be similar players they really aren't good comparable when it comes to trade value
I think Zadorov is considered the better player, no? All those other factors are the reason I said the value might be even.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It does have an effect on what might be a reasonable offer. Offering a 3d when the OP was about getting a high-end forward is borderline insulting. Just like offering 50$ when someone is looking for a down payment on a house when selling his car. You just say you don't need a car, you don't offer 50$.

If it were an "auction" situation, any offer goes, so for example any offer for Primeau or Allen is reasonable to make, since one of them is certainly (bar injury, etc.) getting moved over the next few weeks, so offering a 5th for Primeau might not blow anyone's mind, but it might well be accepted rather than putting him on waivers.
So, just because the OP is hoping for a high end forward prospect it is insulting to offer what you think is fair? I don't see how he is worth a high end forward prospect either actually.

Why is a bottom pairing dman on one of the worst teams in the league with a high end prospect exactly? There is a good chance that a team that acquires him has him as a 6 or 7 D.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I think Zadorov is considered the better player, no? All those other factors are the reason I said the value might be even.
Agree to disagree. I don't think they're good comparables. Cap hit alone makes thier trade value vastly different

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Saying you'd be interested at a price that isnt remotely reasonable is akin to saying you're not really interested.
Why wouldn’t it be reasonable? Just because the guy makes the NHL at a young age doesn’t mean he has high potential.

Doesn’t seem to have the offensive game or shutdown ability to be a top 4D.

He’s mean so that definitely has value on the bottom pairing, but it’s not outlandish to assume he won’t improve much from there.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
So, just because the OP is hoping for a high end forward prospect it is insulting to offer what you think is fair? I don't see how he is worth a high end forward prospect either actually.

Why is a bottom pairing dman on one of the worst teams in the league with a high end prospect exactly? There is a good chance that a team that acquires him has him as a 6 or 7 D.
For those not seeing the potential that he'd be worth a higher pick, suggesting moving an equivalent skater (ie, someone with potential but very raw) would've been best, or otherwise just not being interested. Like I wrote, this wasn't an auction situation. (whereas when people start a "firesale" thread, that pretty much means anything goes).

ie, you don't see the potential, ie, not really interested.

Reactions: HabsAddict

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
For those not seeing the potential that he'd be worth a higher pick, suggesting moving an equivalent skater (ie, someone with potential but very raw) would've been best, or otherwise just not being interested. Like I wrote, this wasn't an auction situation. (whereas when people start a "firesale" thread, that pretty much means anything goes).

ie, you don't see the potential, ie, not really interested.
I do t think a lot of people see the potential.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I do t think a lot of people see the potential.
And that's fair enough, I find it far more fair to just say "I'm not seeing anything worthwhile about this guy beyond what he's already shown" rather than a lowball offer (compared to the higher potential some see)

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Why wouldn’t it be reasonable? Just because the guy makes the NHL at a young age doesn’t mean he has high potential.

He’s mean so that definitely has value on the bottom pairing, but it’s not outlandish to assume he won’t improve much from there.
It's not reasonable because he's established himself as an NHL player. Even if he doesn't improve A 3rd round pick is a Longshot to become what he already is. Montreal doesn't have any motivation to move him for that. They're a rebuilding team that has an excellent prospect pool and a ton of draft capital. If the best they can get for him is a 3rd then they may as well hang on to him for a while longer and see what he becomes. A 3rd (even if it is appropriate) just doesn't move the needle.

Their other option is to package him with some of their draft capital and send him to a cap strapped team that wants to clear space by moving out a redundant, more expensive forward. That's the approach Hughes took with Romanov/Dach

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Agree to disagree. I don't think they're good comparables. Cap hit alone makes thier trade value vastly different
We can agree to disagree. That's the beauty of the internet...for civil people. I think a contending team might see more value in Zadorov as he should be too six. I am not convinced that Xhekaj is that on a contender. Could be wrong of course.

If the Leafs traded for him he is not above Rielly, Brodie, McCane, Liljegren, Or Giordano and he might best out Lagesson, Benoit or Timmins for the final spot...I would be interested in him though more than Zadorov (because salary as you said) but I thought Zadorov was an overpay by Vancouver. This takes back to a 3rd and a B prospect at most (IMO), not a high end forward prospect.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
We can agree to disagree. That's the beauty of the internet...for civil people. I think a contending team might see more value in Zadorov as he should be too six. I am not convinced that Xhekaj is that on a contender. Could be wrong of course.

If the Leafs traded for him he is not above Rielly, Brodie, McCane, Liljegren, Or Giordano and he might best out Lagesson, Benoit or Timmins for the final spot...I would be interested in him though more than Zadorov (because salary as you said) but I thought Zadorov was an overpay by Vancouver. This takes back to a 3rd and a B prospect at most (IMO), not a high end forward prospect.
I don't believe he'd return a high end forward prospect either. At least not straight across. Hughes might consider pulling another Dach/Newhook type deal but Montreal would certainly need to add a pick to Xhekaj in that scenario.

Reactions: conFABulator

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I don't believe he'd return a high end forward prospect either. At least not straight across. Hughes might consider pulling another Dach/Newhook type deal but Montreal would certainly need to add a pick to Xhekaj in that scenario.
I expect he'll be added to someone else in a larger deal.... say in the summer of 2024, he'll get moved with Dvorak for a youngish player.

Or maybe he goes straight up for a forward whose upside isn't a sure thing, either, like Holloway in Edmonton (as an example, not a suggestion).

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It's not reasonable because he's established himself as an NHL player. Even if he doesn't improve A 3rd round pick is a Longshot to become what he already is. Montreal doesn't have any motivation to move him for that. They're a rebuilding team that has an excellent prospect pool and a ton of draft capital. If the best they can get for him is a 3rd then they may as well hang on to him for a while longer and see what he becomes. A 3rd (even if it is appropriate) just doesn't move the needle.

Their other option is to package him with some of their draft capital and send him to a cap strapped team that wants to clear space by moving out a redundant, more expensive forward. That's the approach Hughes took with Romanov/Dach
So you’re basically just asking a team to overpay? He’s “mostly” established himself (he was sent to the AHL wasn’t he?) as a #6D I don’t see how that makes his value higher than a 3rd.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023

A 2026 3rd and a 5th in 2024 for Zadorov is overpayment. That’s rich.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
He is worth more to Montreal than what he is trading him. Physical players are rare in todays NHL.

Problem is that Habs fans have too high of expectations for their prospects and young players. If Xhekaj is only a career bottom pair defenceman that is perfectly fine. He serves a role and serves it well.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
I think a 3rd is pretty reasonable, that's what my team paid for DeMelo who is a much better player and a right hand shot.

Yeah but I think Demelo fetching a third was kind of a blunder, I don't watch Winnipeg as often as I would like but every time he stand out so positively.

Just enjoy the nice things.
Edit: When you factor in what that 3rd pick fetched.

I would give a 2nd Rounder and an AHL call up type tweener sweetener for Xhekaj.
If you can resign him prior to trade for close to base salary (below 1.6 CAP %) then I could give a bit more. (like an additional 4th or 5th)

Last edited:

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Ya we should be sitting at a lot better spot at the draft than you guys ,and will try to be humble knowing you guys will be pulling your hair out wondering why your team sucked again during their short playoff run.
If you have all your hair than you're probably doing it wrong

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014

Your metaphor sucks and you've repeated it several times. Stop using it.

A car is like $5,000-50,000. Offering $50 is a factor of 1/100 to 1/1000. A down payment on a house of 20% on a $500,000 house is $100K or a factor of 1/20,000 if $50 was offered. No one else has been exaggerating as much as you have in this thread.

A third round pick isn't 1/100th the value of AX. You can be insulted all you want about 3rd round offers for AX, but that has no bearing on how bad your metaphor is.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
A 2026 3rd and a 5th in 2024 for Zadorov is overpayment. That’s rich.
You don't think that's a lot for a bottom pairing dman making $3.75M? It's the sort of contract a team is trying to get out from under. On top of that, he had requested a trade.

Give me an example of a bottom pairing rental being traded for more.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
You don't think that's a lot for a bottom pairing dman making $3.75M? It's the sort of contract a team is trying to get out from under. On top of that, he had requested a trade.

Give me an example of a bottom pairing rental being traded for more.

Leafs giving up a 2nd and Froese for Brian Effin Boyle comes to mind :naughty:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

it’s an internet thread made to gauge opinions on a hypothetical trade value for a player.

This isn’t real life. There is no “insulting” offers or at least there shouldn’t be. If anyone is “insulted” by responses they get to a trade thread, they are taking themselves way too seriously.

Seems like the actual purpose of the thread was to seek confirmation on the belief from a hometown fan that Xhekaj holds a very high value. All these guard rails are put up where people are only supposed to respond with an answer confirming the OP’s original assertion. Not much room for a discussion.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020

Among the worst teams in the league?
2 points out of a playoff position, 22nd in the league with the league's 3rd youngest lineup and they have the least experienced blueline. Nothing wrong here just part if the process. Lots of potential to be better. Come back and whine in 3 years. The team is doing well.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad