Value of: Arber Xhekaj value in a trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Well he's U23 still.
You'd think a team interested in him wouldn't see him as a finished project.
Looking at him play, he has room to grow with decent skating, shot and offensive flair.

The thing he needs to work on are gap control, simplifying his game and overall positioning... mostly adjusting to the NHL.
Yep, said young, big and fights.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Keep Arber. Brings a unique game that will be valued way more after a playoff run.
In the playoffs, fights go way down, a smart reliable defensive D like Struble will be more useful at that point, unless Xhekaj improves his reads and doesn't get out of position for hits anymore.

I think the key thing is whether the potential for Xhekaj to become more than a 5D who wins fights is seen by others. Usefulness on the ice now is one thing, but he could be a lot more, would anyone pay up, in a trade, for that potential?

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Not sure if edited but last night of OP is: « We need better forwards more then more defenseman so what would be your offer one for one in a young forward? »

This Philly fan would not trade young former firsts Brink, Foerster or Farabee for him with Deslauriers and Hathaway on board.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I value X on what i would be willing to pay, which is easily a 2nd or a very late 1st if i thought i could play him with a vet like we had in Markov.

Markov made Komisarek look good and X is far better then him.

Draft choices are crap shoot in the 2nd round, never mind 3rd round. No team would trade a young player already in the NHL playing top 6 with and more growth for the value some think in here.

X isn't going anywhere but he also has a small window to step up to the next level simply because we created a trap for ourselves with too many young defenseman.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not sure if edited but last night of OP is: « We need better forwards more then more defenseman so what would be your offer one for one in a young forward? »

This Philly fan would not trade young former firsts Brink, Foerster or Farabee for him with Deslauriers and Hathaway on board.
No. It was not edited.

Also a reasonable reply. If you already have the toughness X brings, it diminishes his value somewhat.

Reactions: JRichard

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
a classic case of a player being worth far more to the habs than another team - unless they get a dumb return like Nashville received for Jeannot.
This is not a player to trade. He's not a thrown in and he has exceptional value to a team like montreal, which needs his size and toughness.
He's 22 on an entry level deal, has some offensive upside and is a top 10 fighter in the NHL
Those who want to trade him, will then turn around in another thread and complain over and over again that the habs are too small and soft and easy to play against.

Reactions: HabsAddict

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
a classic case of a player being worth far more to the habs than another team - unless they get a dumb return like Nashville received for Jeannot.
This is not a player to trade. He's not a thrown in and he has exceptional value to a team like montreal, which needs his size and toughness.
He's 22 on an entry level deal, has some offensive upside and is a top 10 fighter in the NHL
Those who want to trade him, will then turn around in another thread and complain over and over again that the habs are too small and soft and easy to play against.
The Habs are filled with young D, and some will need to be moved vefore reaching their full potential.

Guhle is a lock, and Matheson seems to be around for a while until kids displace him.
Harris, Struble, Xhekaj, soon to be signed Hutson, are all fighting for the same slot.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
If he is available, I would be pissed if the Leafs didn't make a decent offer

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022
He is a fan favorite,a good 4-5 defenseman and one of the best fighter in the league. Unless you agree to overpay for him,forget It…
and they drafted his brother. no reason to move him unless it's for a clear upgrade. great guy to have around.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
The Habs are filled with young D, and some will need to be moved vefore reaching their full potential.

Guhle is a lock, and Matheson seems to be around for a while until kids displace him.
Harris, Struble, Xhekaj, soon to be signed Hutson, are all fighting for the same slot.
yup you guys are going to be like us a few yrs ago, having to let good players go because your too deep, eg Marchment, Grundstrom, Durzi etc

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Explain to me why Montreal would consider accepting that? He's a bona-fide NHL player who brings a skillset that's incredibly rare in today's NHL. He's young, cheap, abd improving. They dont need cap space. The only reason they would move him is to upgrade an area of weakness. A 3rd round pick isn't likely to even make it to the show. Let alone be impactful. That's like the old Simpson episode where Homer trades in a boat for a mystery box because box could have anything in it, even a boat. It's nonsensical
it was a habs fan who created a value of thread for xhekaj.

if you guys only accept offers above your homer valuations it's definetly nonsenical to discuss him. the average non-habs fan doesn't consider him to be something special. deal with it.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
What a ridiculous thread, just say what you want for him. If it's nothing short of a "superstar potential young forward" that's just bonkers.
Superstar young forward? I only saw 1 player listed going the other way. On what planet is Arber worth a super start potential young forward? You can say the offer clearly needs to make Montreal better or it's not worth making the trade, but superstar potential seems a bit wishful thinking.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

I think guys like Harris, Kovacevic, Savard...will be moved instead of Arber. As described in this thread, his value is way higher to the habs- then to move him for a middling pick. Hughes has 20+ picks in the next two drafts.
They didn't draft Florian to trade Arber. He's a perfect bottom pair guy (with maybe no.4 upside) with a very unique skill set. 0 reason to move him

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I value X on what i would be willing to pay, which is easily a 2nd or a very late 1st if i thought i could play him with a vet like we had in Markov.

Markov made Komisarek look good and X is far better then him.

Draft choices are crap shoot in the 2nd round, never mind 3rd round. No team would trade a young player already in the NHL playing top 6 with and more growth for the value some think in here.

X isn't going anywhere but he also has a small window to step up to the next level simply because we created a trap for ourselves with too many young defenseman.

Well thats the thing. The Markov type is extremely valuable and difficult to find. The Komisarek type is less valuable and easier to find.

Xhekaj is a unicorn IFF he can play hockey im a top 4 role. Otherwise, he's just another Gudas type as others have mentioned.

As for the "trap" montreal set for ourselves, I dont buy it. Having too much quality isnt a problem... but is it all quality? In any case, Xhekaj is getting plenty of opportunities at the NHL level to shine, even some PP time. If other kids become better in the meantime, thats great dor the team.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Superstar young forward? I only saw 1 player listed going the other way. On what planet is Arber worth a super start potential young forward? You can say the offer clearly needs to make Montreal better or it's not worth making the trade, but superstar potential seems a bit wishful thinking.
I think the hope was to have someone offer a forward with top 6 potential equivalent to Xhekaj's top 4 potential.

I'm realizing most posters drooling over Xhekaj were just drooling over a high end fighter and weren't seeing his potential as a reliable defenseman.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think guys like Harris, Kovacevic, Savard...will be moved instead of Arber. As described in this thread, his value is way higher to the habs- then to move him for a middling pick. Hughes has 20+ picks in the next two drafts.
They didn't draft Florian to trade Arber. He's a perfect bottom pair guy (with maybe no.4 upside) with a very unique skill set. 0 reason to move him
2 of the 3 you mentionned don't play the left side. Even Harris is likely to stick around only if he can play the right side regularly.

If Hutson signs, where does he even play? Matheson and Guhle are locks. Who of Hutson, Struble, Xhekaj will play?

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
habs have not had a good DONK in years why trade him.
I don't need a gun, I've got a Donk!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad