Value of: Arber Xhekaj value in a trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Explain to me why Montreal would consider accepting that? He's a bona-fide NHL player who brings a skillset that's incredibly rare in today's NHL. He's young, cheap, abd improving. They dont need cap space. The only reason they would move him is to upgrade an area of weakness. A 3rd round pick isn't likely to even make it to the show. Let alone be impactful. That's like the old Simpson episode where Homer trades in a boat for a mystery box because box could have anything in it, even a boat. It's nonsensical
The intent was to spark an interesting conversation amongst knowledgable posters on other teams....but I know the "risks" of putting up a trade thread. 😁

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Summary of this thread:

OP, a Habs fan makes a thread actively asking about Xhekaj's trade value.

A couple of posters share what they think his trade value is.

The OP and some Habs fan don't like hearing that some people think his trade value isn't high and get upset about it.

Why even make a thread asking about his value when you can't handle answers to that question?

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Look at the OP. The intent isn't to pawn him off for whatever, it's looking for a useful return.
It looks like the attempt to put a generic trade value through draft choices confuses some. To me it's simpler metric then one on one trades where it devolves into mine is bigger then yours.

If X was on another team, the trade would be a tough one. Not worth any one of our young "top 6" and not worth as little as unproven prospects like Roy. On defense, we either have still raw youngsters, a really high value in Ghule or vets. No trade there either.

For draft value, our first is too high, our second a bit low for the trading team. So there again it's a tough one.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Summary of this thread:

OP, a Habs fan makes a thread actively asking about Xhekaj's trade value.

A couple of posters share what they think his trade value is.

The OP and some Habs fan don't like hearing that some people think his trade value isn't high and get upset about it.

Why even make a thread asking about his value when you can't handle answers to that question?
They are so upset everyone isn’t entertaining their delusions about trade value.

We do this every year.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Is a 3rd really that bad of an offer for a bottom paring d?

His hits/fights youth make him maybe subjectively more attractive to the team…. But isn’t that kind of the value?

I guess Sandin got a 1st.

But Didn’t durzi, dermott, hamonic go for less not as rentals?

Edit. Durzi went for 2nd with almost 40 points and 19 min/game

Sandin went for a late first with 7 goals and 35 ish points.

Dermott was a 3rd as a 15 min a Night D

A 3rd seems fair for a 3rd pair D playing 15 min a night on a non playoff team. It’s not like he is buried on the depth charts of Colorado, Vegas, Carolina

Last edited:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Someone somewhere else suggested that we need forward talent more then toughness. i disagree. i wouldn't trade him unless it's a massive overpayment...but that's just me.

I don't need to talk about his obvious physicality and fighting abilities and as of right now, he is good enough for the Habs top 6, but not good enough on an top contender. Will he improve? Sure he will. He was working for COSTCO a few years ago and he's in the NHL now. That's verticle progress. He needs faster footwork and better vision. One is trainable and the other, in time. I'm expecting that he will be legitimate top 4 in a 3-4 years. I'm also expecting a much more defensive system oriented team and coaching, which is a huge benefit for players like X.

Obviously if he was already a top 1 or 2, unless it was superstar potential young forward, hang up the phone.

Soo...what value would you put on him in a draft trade?

We need better forwards more then more defenseman so what would be your offer one for one in a young forward?

A 2nd /3rd is about all he would get at best but we should be able to get better usage out of him than one of those picks.

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’d love for the OP to tell us what they think Xhekaj’s value is instead of throwing a fit over everyone else’s answer to the question.

Having a player with some semblance of potential and promise doesn’t mean every other team immediately goes gaga and is eager to give up assets. This is a very difficult concept for fans (often young ones) to grasp.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
A 3rd is about right, DeMelo and Schenn pulled a 3rd. Zadorov got a 3rd+5th

All of these players were/are better at the time of the trade.

Keep X if you don't think a 3rd is enough but don't be surprised when there aren't offers of a young top line centre for him either, that's just dumb.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Zadorov requested a trade and is a pending UFA. Calgary was looking to move him. Montreal has zero reason to move Xhekaj. So I ask again. Why would Montreal accept a 3rd for a player that's still under team control, hasn't requested a trade, and the team has no need or desire to move him
Okay, 3 first round picks for the one player.

I hope this is adequate.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Zadorov requested a trade and is a pending UFA. Calgary was looking to move him. Montreal has zero reason to move Xhekaj. So I ask again. Why would Montreal accept a 3rd for a player that's still under team control, hasn't requested a trade, and the team has no need or desire to move him

Except, it's not only about the team trading a player out, but also about the teams buying.
I'm a habs fan too, but I can see how Zadorov would provide a better immediate impact than Xhekaj.

Calgary wanted to move Zadorov, and the best offer they got was presumably a 3rd and 5th (I say presumably bc they could have refused better for an unknown reason). That's what teams around the league valued him as.

Xhekaj being younger and more raw might interest a different selection of teams, but if they also only offer a 3rd round pick... then Montreal can consider if they're ok with that return or not. In all likelihood, they wouldn't.

A 3rd round pick can net you some decent players. So, when I look at recent trades involving a 3rd for a forward, it seems like a 3rd round pick offer is similar to

- Reilly Smith
- Nick Bjustad
- Teddy Blueger
- Pierre Engvall
- Marcus Johansson

And defensemen include
- Zadorov
- Schenn
- Severson

As a Habs fan, I'm not interested, but I can see why other teams wouldn't want to give much more

Reactions: TS Quint
Mar 12, 2009
I would give a 3rd and 5th. He's got the nastiness that's hard to teach, not sold on him becoming a top 4 guy, but I think he's a solid 5-6 that's hard to play against, good fighter and willing. I just don't see enough proven there to go to a 2nd, but I like the guy enough from junior that I'd sweeten the pot if a 3rd is a bit too low. Maybe a 3rd and 4th if defensive D is something my team needed.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I’ll offer a second round pick.
That would easily be the best offer we could hope for.
Management would than have to figure out which would be more beneficial to the club. The 2nd or Wifi.

I would give a 3rd and 5th. He's got the nastiness that's hard to teach, not sold on him becoming a top 4 guy, but I think he's a solid 5-6 that's hard to play against, good fighter and willing. I just don't see enough proven there to go to a 2nd, but I like the guy enough from junior that I'd sweeten the pot if a 3rd is a bit too low. Maybe a 3rd and 4th if defensive D is something my team needed.
This is a good well thought out response.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad