Value of: Arber Xhekaj value in a trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HuGo boss

Apr 7, 2022
Hes probably worth a 3rd, maybe a 2nd if they overpay but he's a fan favorite, loved by his team and brings toughness to a soft team so he's worth more to the Habs then on the market

Reactions: TS Quint

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
Tough player ti trade, he's realistically worth a 3rd

But fans will always say "for a third, I'd rather just keep him" and I agree, he's worth more to montreal to keep him then to trade him

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'm.not saying he's worth more. I'm asking why Montreal would move him.for that. The answer is they wouldn't. At least not right now.

He's on a team.friendly contract and has several years of team control. He brings a skillset thats rare in the league, he hasn't requested a trade, the coach appears to trust him. There is zero reason for Montreal to move him right now for a pick that COULD one day turn out to be an NHL player.

I don't get your gripe. "Montreal has no reason to trade him". Yes, in real life. This thread has been started specifically asking what value do fans put on Xhekaj in a trade (at the deadline?). Nowhere is it asking for the value to be worth enough for Montreal to trade him.

His value just isn't that high. No one is gonna come here valuing him as a young top 6 forward or a 1st rounder.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Stick to the thread's point or your going OT and will be excused from the discussion. Stop derailing the thread, OP asked what fans gauge his value (draft value/young forward) at/what would you offer, not what would the Habs take in return for him. Stay on topic or leave. This is a value thread, not a trade proposal thread. If you don't like the concept of the thread or the OP then simply don't post in this thread.

Last edited:

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
He's not for trade and he's worth more than anything Habs haters would want to pay.

Realistically he's worth around the same thing as other top 4 D's around his age, and then you have to factor in that he's huge, fights like a HW and is super physical.

He's a rare win as a Habs fan.

Romanov is a good value indicator IMO, albeit they overpaid for that.
People not willing to pay a 1st are not Habs haters… That lines comes up everyday in here. Work on it.

He is young, big and fights. All true.

He is also injured, undrafted and not in Habs top 4. In fact he was 8th in toi for dmen on Habs last season as a rookie. 8th again this year before the injury.
4th worst on +/- for dmen on Habs last year.

Time to cue the « ÿou are only stats watching » even though i live in Mtl…

You are not selling a top 4 d.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
People not willing to pay a 1st are not Habs haters… That lines comes up everyday in here. Work on it.

He is also injured, undrafted and not in Habs top 4. In fact he was 8th in toi for dmen on Habs last season as a rookie. 8th again this year before the injury.

He spends a minimum of 2:30 in the box every game with all his majors and the expulsions he got and he left the game halfway through the 2nd period, which is why he played 10 minutes.

He was 100% in the Habs top 4, even seeing the 3rd most ice-time on the PP.

Also it's a very bad argument to use Martin St-Louis bench management as an argument, lol.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014

No team would offer a 1st for him. But any team interested in him wouldn't be trading fir him based on his stat line. His value comes from his age, cap hit, years of team control remaining, potential for growth and on ice Intangibles. Essentially all the reasons Montreal would value him over what his market value might be.

If I were to guess the high-water mark of that market value would be a 2nd and a late pick.

I'd give it up if I could just say his name.....
It's pronounced Jack-eye

Reactions: TS Quint

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Xhekaj’s value is in limbo until his potential becomes more fleshed-out. He’s a big physical presence but his physicality has led to multiple shoulder injuries. He has pretty good metrics on a bad team, but with limited and favorable deployment. He doesn’t kill penalties, he averages less than one blocked shot per game, and his offensive potential is entirely up in the air.

I can see why Habs fans would be high on him - especially as a young, undrafted free agent - but there is way too much bust potential for any team to pay a premium for him.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Zadorov requested a trade and is a pending UFA. Calgary was looking to move him. Montreal has zero reason to move Xhekaj. So I ask again. Why would Montreal accept a 3rd for a player that's still under team control, hasn't requested a trade, and the team has no need or desire to move him
You don't like his offer. That's fine. Move the f*** on.

A 3rd seems pretty reasonable. Maybe a 4th or 5th tacked on as well like Zadorov if the interested team thinks he could continue to develop well.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Every team has a player like this on their depth chart. Leafs have Beniot and Lagesson, whom they got for free. Would I post about wanting a high draft pick for them. No.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Someone would definitely overpay for him after getting bullied by some other team but he's still worth more to Montreal. At 22 he's a solid but unrefined bottom pairing D with an element that few players bring to the league and I simply need Xhekaj Bros in two years

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
No team would offer a 1st for him. But any team interested in him wouldn't be trading fir him based on his stat line. His value comes from his age, cap hit, years of team control remaining, potential for growth and on ice Intangibles. Essentially all the reasons Montreal would value him over what his market value might be.

If I were to guess the high-water mark of that market value would be a 2nd and a late pick.

It's pronounced Jack-eye
When one trades for a player the smart GMs trade based on what they believe the player will do for their new team.The past maybe an indicator but not the whole part of the equation

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Do the Habs ever play him as a Forward?
It never makes sense to me to have a player in that role as a Dman. If he does what you expect, you're down to 5D. As a coach I would sacrifice my 12th F to make you play 5D the rest of the game almost every time. A penalty or injury then you're down to 4 and that's a problem.

Reactions: Dutronc

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Do the Habs ever play him as a Forward?
It never makes sense to me to have a player in that role as a Dman. If he does what you expect, you're down to 5D. As a coach I would sacrifice my 12th F to make you play 5D the rest of the game almost every time. A penalty or injury then you're down to 4 and that's a problem.
Easy fix. Run with 7 d

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I don't know brother, a third is roughly market value for the player and the thread is asking about the value of Xhekaj.

Ask habsaddict why Hughes would move him, he's the one who made the thread.
It's what you think his market value.

You premise is wrong, he's not the same as Zadorov for multiples factors : age, contract, potential, team situation, etc.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Well he's U23 still.
You'd think a team interested in him wouldn't see him as a finished project.
Looking at him play, he has room to grow with decent skating, shot and offensive flair.

The thing he needs to work on are gap control, simplifying his game and overall positioning... mostly adjusting to the NHL.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Well he's U23 still.
You'd think a team interested in him wouldn't see him as a finished project.
Looking at him play, he has room to grow with decent skating, shot and offensive flair.

The thing he needs to work on are gap control, simplifying his game and overall positioning... mostly adjusting to the NHL.
He's still not worth a 1st. He's a bottom pairing guy at best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad