OT: Anything Goes 41

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I lurk a trucker sub since it's kinda interesting. They've discussed pay and it sounds like more than a few make over six figures. Something random I found is they have a lot of respect for trash truck drivers, of all things, since it's a union job where you're home daily and decent pay. I've thought about getting a CDL, but I wouldn't want to do long haul for more than a few months before finding something local.
If you take the plunge and buy your own you're making well north of 100k. I've driven over the road for the railroad but I'd never work long haul. In Chicago you're making much more driving local anyway.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Financial Systems Engineer, but I gave up the WFH. f*** that. Once you mix house and work it feels like you never escape.

Been WFH for almost 3 1/2 years now, and I don't think I'd ever go back. Even if I wanted to switch jobs, WFH at least 3-4 days a week would be my main requirement. But I have no desire to switch jobs. My pay and benefits are way too good to want to leave where I'm at.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Financial Systems Engineer, but I gave up the WFH. f*** that. Once you mix house and work it feels like you never escape.

I personally love the WFH. The flexibility has been great. Like, I have a 6 month old that is on her 4th ear infection, so I've been taking her to doctor appointments non-stop here for the last couple months. It makes it much easier that I don't really have to go out of my way much to take her to those. Or I can cut the grass quick during lunch, or go get some groceries/other shopping things. And I have a nice set-up at home, so if there are nights I want to do a little work, I have everything I need to be productive.

Don't get me wrong - it's not all perfect. And I try my best to get outside of the house as much as possible just to get time away from home, but I love the WFH situation I have. Looking forward even more to building a house (might be retired by the time I can afford this :laugh:) where I can essentially have my own little office as well.

Been WFH for almost 3 1/2 years now, and I don't think I'd ever go back. Even if I wanted to switch jobs, WFH at least 3-4 days a week would be my main requirement. But I have no desire to switch jobs. My pay and benefits are way too good to want to leave where I'm at.

I definitely wouldn't have an issue going in the office a day or two per week, though I would want it to be on my own terms. I would go to full-time office work for only a perfect job at this point.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I personally love the WFH. The flexibility has been great. Like, I have a 6 month old that is on her 4th ear infection, so I've been taking her to doctor appointments non-stop here for the last couple months. It makes it much easier that I don't really have to go out of my way much to take her to those. Or I can cut the grass quick during lunch, or go get some groceries/other shopping things. And I have a nice set-up at home, so if there are nights I want to do a little work, I have everything I need to be productive.

Don't get me wrong - it's not all perfect. And I try my best to get outside of the house as much as possible just to get time away from home, but I love the WFH situation I have. Looking forward even more to building a house (might be retired by the time I can afford this :laugh:) where I can essentially have my own little office as well.

I definitely wouldn't have an issue going in the office a day or two per week, though I would want it to be on my own terms. I would go to full-time office work for only a perfect job at this point.

Yep, the convenience of it is far more beneficial for me. Like you said, being able to cut the grass quick, or run to the grocery store, take the toddler to a doc appointment, or go for a walk with him, or take him to the park. Get dinner started at a decent time every day. Keep the house cleaned up more regularly. Hell, there are days where I'll go fishing in the morning on a work day, and then I can work later in the evening at my leisure to get stuff done. The flexibility is so much nicer than being glued to my office 8-10 hours a day. And the benefit of no commute, outside of walking from my bedroom to my livingroom? Hard to beat. Saving on gas and the stress of traffic, also? Losing 2 hours a day to commuting? Yeah, no thanks. I won't ever go back to working a full-time in the office job. Like you said, I'd be willing to go into the office a day a week, or maybe two if necessary, but on my own terms.

Just the fact I've been able to see my son grow up, and raise him myself, rather than a daycare or nanny doing it, has been awesome. Didn't have that with my two daughters.

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Yeah would depend on the situation for sure. I worked from home for about 2 years. I just felt like I could never escape my work. Now I go in the office, I live in Vermont so there is zero traffic. I definitely can still leave to rip around town to do errands and to Doctors and stuff, but I like the face to face interaction. When I leave work it truly is done. Yeah I might get home at 5:15, but I also never think about work on the weekends or after 5.

When I was WFH, there was so much work to be done and I felt like I could never get away from it.

I also don't have kids, and a lot of the people at my company that do, definitely work from home way more. I would definitely work from home 3-4 times a week with a kid.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah would depend on the situation for sure. I worked from home for about 2 years. I just felt like I could never escape my work. Now I go in the office, I live in Vermont so there is zero traffic. I definitely can still leave to rip around town to do errands and to Doctors and stuff, but I like the face to face interaction. When I leave work it truly is done. Yeah I might get home at 5:15, but I also never think about work on the weekends or after 5.

When I was WFH, there was so much work to be done and I felt like I could never get away from it.

I also don't have kids, and a lot of the people at my company that do, definitely work from home way more. I would definitely work from home 3-4 times a week with a kid.

Yeah, a big part of it is instilling the discipline in yourself to just not work once your day is over. Although being in the IT world, I've always had to do some work in the evening because that's when our employees are not working. The benefit with this is... I'm not putting in my 8-10 hours in the office, then having to go home and work in the evening on top of it. If I have to do some system maintenance or something in the evening, I can balance that out by not working in the morning or afternoon for a few hours. I'll take my son to the splash pad, or we'll go to Chuck-e-Cheese for a few hours, etc. Whereas before I'd do my regular day in the office, then come home and work another 2-3 hours. And when you're salaried, that sucks. :laugh:

The work life balance is so much more balanced with WFH.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Yeah, a big part of it is instilling the discipline in yourself to just not work once your day is over. Although being in the IT world, I've always had to do some work in the evening because that's when our employees are not working. The benefit with this is... I'm not putting in my 8-10 hours in the office, then having to go home and work in the evening on top of it. If I have to do some system maintenance or something in the evening, I can balance that out by not working in the morning or afternoon for a few hours. Whereas before I'd do my regular day in the office, then come home and work another 2-3 hours. And when you're salaried, that sucks. :laugh:
Yeah. I have bad work discipline. I get that autistic like feeling where I feel like I need to go until completion. When I am in my office at home, I just get .. stuck. Like it turns 6, 6:30 and I am still going because time is just flying.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah. I have bad work discipline. I get that autistic like feeling where I feel like I need to go until completion. When I am in my office at home, I just get .. stuck. Like it turns 6, 6:30 and I am still going because time is just flying.

Yep, and that's the big thing you have to get sorted out with WFH. For me, unless I have planned maintenance or something in the evening, the clock hits 4:30 or 5 and I just stop looking at emails, stop checking our ticketing system, switch to the personal computer, and forget about the job. Whatever it is, unless it's critical failure, it can wait until the morning.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

For me, I have to be off right at 5 o'clock because I have to go take care of the kids. But if it feels like I didn't accomplish enough during the day (like when I have to take the kid to a doctor appointment, or something else comes up), then I just pop on quick at night and get a few things done. This may come across the wrong way, but I typically don't push myself to the point where I feel like I'm overworking. Maybe if I have a time sensitive project, but I am so exhausted with the little kids right now, that once I get something accomplished, I am good just being done with it for the night. And there have been plenty of times where I was going to work at night, but the little ones wore me out so much that I just don't even have the energy.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Its just a mindset thing. I do it with everything. I obsess over things. Not like alcohol or drugs, but specifically task related stuff.

Especially when picking up new things and learning it. Like learning chess, or video games with skill gaps.

Sometimes it bleeds over into work, especially when learning Java for SuiteScript related things, or learning Python, or Mulesoft Dataweave. I just obsess.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Better off letting things go than having heated arguments with your boss.
Very disappointing lesson I’m learning lately. The real world isn’t the Internet, people don’t handle arguments in person well sometimes. The power dynamic between a boss and employee isn’t a fair way to handle a discussion so it’s best to leave things be. Which is unfortunate because I love a good conversation with just about anyone.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
@DisgruntledHawkFan

Sorry about the layoff dude. Sounds like you’re going to land firmly on both feet though which is awesome. Also where’d your avatar go???

Its just a mindset thing. I do it with everything. I obsess over things. Not like alcohol or drugs, but specifically task related stuff.

Especially when picking up new things and learning it. Like learning chess, or video games with skill gaps.

Sometimes it bleeds over into work, especially when learning Java for SuiteScript related things, or learning Python, or Mulesoft Dataweave. I just obsess.
How’re your Python classes going? I was doing electrical engineering work for a little bit and found it unfortunately pretty boring. Have since made the switch to Computer Science over the last few years and have been loving it.

Logic structures are simple enough for me to understand. Been thinking about designing a Restaurant Operating System since I’ve spent so much time in the Chicago service industry.

Reactions: DisgruntledHawkFan

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
Got laid off Friday. Holy hell I had no idea people were getting paid so much to drive trucks. Have two job offers already around $30 hourly. $28.50 with an owner I'm on a first name basis with or take my chances with a company I'd be going in blind with at $31.
Yeah my company outsourced my job and about 400 others back in 2021 - with a lot of rebound from covid I was able to find something else relatively quickly but was also amazed at the need for truck drivers. That was my "parachute" as several companies had already reached out with offers, paid training and so on.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
@DisgruntledHawkFan

Sorry about the layoff dude. Sounds like you’re going to land firmly on both feet though which is awesome. Also where’d your avatar go???

How’re your Python classes going? I was doing electrical engineering work for a little bit and found it unfortunately pretty boring. Have since made the switch to Computer Science over the last few years and have been loving it.

Logic structures are simple enough for me to understand. Been thinking about designing a Restaurant Operating System since I’ve spent so much time in the Chicago service industry.
I have been mostly learning on the fly through projects I am working on. Get part of the project to work, read some more documentation, try some things. I did do some python in undergrad but specific use cases that I need, I never did. I didn't really find it boring per say. I mean its all boring. I'd rather be golfing.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Been WFH for almost 3 1/2 years now, and I don't think I'd ever go back. Even if I wanted to switch jobs, WFH at least 3-4 days a week would be my main requirement.

I've fallen into the same, too comfortable being home and it would take a lot to get me back into an office. I'm sure this won't last forever but I'm enjoying it while I can.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I've fallen into the same, too comfortable being home and it would take a lot to get me back into an office. I'm sure this won't last forever but I'm enjoying it while I can.

It's forever for me, as long as I'm with my current company. Permanent WFH and really only going in if there's a specific reason I need to go into the office.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
It's forever for me, as long as I'm with my current company. Permanent WFH and really only going in if there's a specific reason I need to go into the office.

Mine is too, my "office" is in Minneapolis so I've only met my coworkers once, I just don't how long I'll be here. High turnover industry, lots of moving on to move up.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I’ve WFH for almost 20 years. There are things I miss in an office setting and being in technical sales I like to meet people, etc. I do travel extensively which makes it easier. And many of my coworkers are some of my best friends.

So I am happy where I am for 3.5 more years before I finally get to retire. Since delivering papers at 12yo and working on the farm I have never not had a job. If/when that time comes it will be interesting. My significant other has lots of plans to travel of which I am kind of over having to do it for work. If we can drive I am good. Just hate f***ing flying to death (typed while in Denver airport).

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
I’m an inventory supervisor for a cold storage facility now. Pretty small operation for Factor 75 if anyone has heard of it. We rent a space from Lineage Logistics and manage a pretty small team of PIT drivers. Started out there this January as a lift driver myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad