OT: Anything Goes 41

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
My girlfriend’s idiot mother got caught up in a ponzi scheme despite my warnings that it was exactly that. Now the company has 6 lawsuits against it and its assets have been frozen. She put a ton of money into it and has no access to it. She’s coming out of retirement to look for jobs to make ends meet until its resolved, no idea how much if any she’ll get back.

Her sister (my gf’s aunt) also put a ton of money in it, and now isn't sure how she’s gonna make her house payments. Its a shit show.

Part of me wants to rant at them for not listening to me, part of me feels bad for not being able to convince them the whole thing was shady.

It doesnt really affect my gf or I, we’re not being pressured to help out or anything, and I doubt we would be. Just kinda surreal to have the kinda crap you read about in the news hit sorra close to home.
That does suck. I do not understand how people can prey on the elderly especially. Just so sad.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
We had a pyramid scheme run through work but thankfully it was a manager initiating most of it so the thirty two guys who stupidly lost their ass got paid back by the company because my union threatened law suits if they didn't.

Same thing happened with crypto but those guys didn't get anything. People are dumb.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Way back in the mid-2000’s, I did constituent relations work for a congressman, and very early on we dealt with a constituent that had, over the course of about a year and a half, wired about ninety grand to a very blatantly obvious scam based out of Kenya and just couldn’t understand why he wasn’t getting his promised fortune from them. He kept claiming, without proof, that it was connected to a standing lawsuit he had filed years ago (but which a) hadn’t been won or settled and b) had nothing to do with anything in Africa). I kept telling him it was a scam, but he refused to believe it.

He eventually showed up with correspondences he had received over the previous few months on some some kind of colonial bank letterhead as if it was a gotcha of some kind. I did a literal five second Google search on our office desktop in front of him of just that bank name and showed him that it had closed back in the sixties along with a load of other such colonial institutions after the Brits pulled out.

Dude went from being positive he was getting a huge payday soonish to realizing he had lost a fortune to a scam in the span of a third of a second after that.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
My girlfriend’s idiot mother got caught up in a ponzi scheme despite my warnings that it was exactly that. Now the company has 6 lawsuits against it and its assets have been frozen. She put a ton of money into it and has no access to it. She’s coming out of retirement to look for jobs to make ends meet until its resolved, no idea how much if any she’ll get back.

Her sister (my gf’s aunt) also put a ton of money in it, and now isn't sure how she’s gonna make her house payments. Its a shit show.

Part of me wants to rant at them for not listening to me, part of me feels bad for not being able to convince them the whole thing was shady.

It doesnt really affect my gf or I, we’re not being pressured to help out or anything, and I doubt we would be. Just kinda surreal to have the kinda crap you read about in the news hit sorra close to home.

Unfortunately, humanity just keeps getting dumber. You shouldn't feel bad at all. We live in an era where stupid people never actually realize they are stupid, and this is the result. The internet has allowed stupidity to fester like an open wound. Idiots can quickly and easily find other idiots to reinforce their idiocy, and it's a never ending feedback loop. On top of that, you have millions of bad actors on the internet feeding into this.

We are doomed as a species.

I 100% would have ranted at them for being idiots and not listening. Because that might be the only thing that wakes them up.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
If you've ever seen Trafficked with Mariana van Zeller as host on National Geo channel, you'll quickly realize there's a crap load of scammers out there just waiting to prey on people. The scammers have lists of hundreds of people to contact and they're just looking to get that one or two people to buy into what they're scamming.

Reactions: QueerGirrl

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
My friend’s grandfather was giving away his SS checks for a couple years to some African scammer. Had either dementia or Alzheimer’s, was in his early 80’s. It’s so sad. He was believing he’d make a fortune for his family after he died. He refused to listen to anyone about it and they were trying to get power of attorney over his finances for a while when it was happening.

When you live a good and cushy life in America it’s hard sometimes to remember/imagine that mich of the rest of the world lives in poverty and struggle. People are capable of anything and you can’t ever let your guard down. Which is why targeting the elderly is so disgusting.

My grandfather had dementia as well. Great man. Worked his way up as a drafter on the shop floor all the way up to VP of a major construction company. Dementia turned him into essentially a little kid. f*** I never want to get old. Our brains and bodies betray us.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Here on the east coast the air is basically brown.
In Vermont it’s orange brown. Wearing a mask.

In other news, I had never even changed oil on a car before and I just successfully changed a head gasket on a 4.0 1999 Cherokee I bought for 500 bucks for a winter car. This mechanic shit ain’t so bad. (Took me 7 hours).

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Man, and here I though we were having a rough summer-in-the-making due to how dry and hot it previously was. We're pretty stable so far in the Midwest.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Oh yeah, no doubt. At least down in Bloomington-Normal, we had a slight drizzle a couple days ago and the temperature dipped, so it's much more tolerable.

But I'll take a mild drought to needing a mask to breath any day of the week.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Man, and here I though we were having a rough summer-in-the-making due to how dry and hot it previously was. We're pretty stable so far in the Midwest.

We need rain pretty badly.

Oh yeah, no doubt. At least down in Bloomington-Normal, we had a slight drizzle a couple days ago and the temperature dipped, so it's much more tolerable.

But I'll take a mild drought to needing a mask to breath any day of the week.

I haven't cut my grass in 2.5 weeks. And it doesn't need it any time soon... My yards are both brown and yellow. Only green in sight is the dandelion greens.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Saw a turbocharged pickup with bullhorns in the front and a “bang local milfs” sign in the back on the road down here today.

That’s somebody’s kid.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I’ve seen Les Mis and Book of Mormon in the last few months and had a great time. I never knew I liked musicals. Phantom of the Opera is next on my list
Those are two of the all time greats. I liked Phantom okay, but there are plenty I liked better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad