OT: Anything Goes 41

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
My wife works for the Cubs. Yesterday they had their big charity event. She came away with quite the haul in the silent auction:

20230523_210628.jpg

Screenshot_20230523_210729.jpg

+ 4 100 Level tix & parking, and I get to do Shoot The Puck!!

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Hey gang. Not exactly sure if this is the correct/best place for this (so any mods feel free to move) but figured it was worth a shot. I'm interviewing for a position at U Chicago and, if I get it, the wife and I will be moving up to Chicago probably later this summer. We've moved around a bit (left STL after college, lived in Boston for about 5 years, been in KC for almost a year) so are pretty well versed in getting settled in with new cities, and would plan to settle down in Chicago for the long haul after this move. I've been to Chicago a handful of times for bachelor parties or games at Wrigley, so I have a vague knowledge of the city, but that's obviously very different than moving someplace. So, any favorite neighborhoods or parts of town that might be cool to move into (bonus points if it's near/easy to get to U Chicago), is the public transit fairly reliable, anything that might be helpful for someone coming out of state? We'd probably rent for a while and get a sense for the area before trying to buy anything. Appreciate it!

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Hey gang. Not exactly sure if this is the correct/best place for this (so any mods feel free to move) but figured it was worth a shot. I'm interviewing for a position at U Chicago and, if I get it, the wife and I will be moving up to Chicago probably later this summer. We've moved around a bit (left STL after college, lived in Boston for about 5 years, been in KC for almost a year) so are pretty well versed in getting settled in with new cities, and would plan to settle down in Chicago for the long haul after this move. I've been to Chicago a handful of times for bachelor parties or games at Wrigley, so I have a vague knowledge of the city, but that's obviously very different than moving someplace. So, any favorite neighborhoods or parts of town that might be cool to move into (bonus points if it's near/easy to get to U Chicago), is the public transit fairly reliable, anything that might be helpful for someone coming out of state? We'd probably rent for a while and get a sense for the area before trying to buy anything. Appreciate it!

I'm assuming you mean University of Chicago(the one in Hyde Park), and not UIC? Do you plan on living IN the city, or the suburbs? Expect it to be really expensive in comparison to KC, especially if you plan on living in the city. Renting a very small 2 bedroom apartment in a nice Chicago neighborhood will likely run you around $2500+. My buddy was renting a small 2BR apartment(around 900 square feet) in the Roscoe Village neighborhood, and it ran them $1800 a month, and that was 4-5 years ago. Rent has skyrocketed since then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pez68 and The Note

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I'm assuming you mean University of Chicago(the one in Hyde Park), and not UIC? Do you plan on living IN the city, or the suburbs? Expect it to be really expensive in comparison to KC, especially if you plan on living in the city. Renting a very small 2 bedroom apartment in a nice Chicago neighborhood will likely run you around $2500+. My buddy was renting a small 2BR apartment(around 900 square feet) in the Roscoe Village neighborhood, and it ran them $1800 a month, and that was 4-5 years ago. Rent has skyrocketed since then.
Yeah it is UC in Hyde Park. We know the rent will be higher - we got plenty of that in Boston - but think the trade off is worth it. Longer term we would probably be looking out in the burbs, I can't imagine we will ever be in a place financially to buy in the city.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Depends on your financials. Hyde Park is a super rich neighborhood, but I'm not sure what the housing availability and costs are there. There are a lot of not-the-greatest areas around campus, though.

Regarding the suburbs, my family is originally from Oak Park, so I can attest to the near west suburbs around there as being nice. I lived in Evanston as well, so the near north shore and Skokie are great, too, albeit that's a trek.

In the city itself, the South Loop (Printer's Row) and Near West Side (Medical District) were my stomping grounds in the city and I always enjoyed those areas.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah it is UC in Hyde Park. We know the rent will be higher - we got plenty of that in Boston - but think the trade off is worth it. Longer term we would probably be looking out in the burbs, I can't imagine we will ever be in a place financially to buy in the city.
Forest Park and Oak Park are both solid and the closest suburbs west of Chicago that you'd really want to be in. Or if you wanted to be south more, and closer to campus, then there's Mt. Greenwood, Morgan Park, Merrionette Park, and Beverly. Mt. Greenwood and Beverly, and to a lesser extent, Morgan Park, are police/firemen "strongholds" as they're considered Chicago, but have a little more of a "suburban feel" to them. I have multiple friends and some family who are CPD and CFD that live in Mt. Greenwood.

Commuting from the latter neighborhoods would be far easier than FP and OP, though. And they do offer lots to do, just not on the level of some of the nicer neighborhoods in the city. Finances and just how far you want to commute are going to be the two biggest determining factors. If you don't mind a far commute and through-the-roof rent prices, there are lots of neighborhoods within the actual city that are very nice. It's hard to recommend any without knowing those two things, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Note

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Depends on your financials. Hyde Park is a super rich neighborhood, but I'm not sure what the housing availability and costs are there. There are a lot of not-the-greatest areas around campus, though.

Regarding the suburbs, my family is originally from Oak Park, so I can attest to the near west suburbs around there as being nice. I lived in Evanston as well, so the near north shore and Skokie are great, too, albeit that's a trek.

In the city itself, the South Loop (Printer's Row) and Near West Side (Medical District) were my stomping grounds in the city and I always enjoyed those areas.

Forest Park and Oak Park are both solid and the closest suburbs west of Chicago that you'd really want to be in. Or if you wanted to be south more, and closer to campus, then there's Mt. Greenwood, Morgan Park, Merrionette Park, and Beverly. Mt. Greenwood and Beverly, and to a lesser extent, Morgan Park, are police/firemen "strongholds" as they're considered Chicago, but have a little more of a "suburban feel" to them. I have multiple friends and some family who are CPD and CFD that live in Mt. Greenwood.

Commuting from the latter neighborhoods would be far easier than FP and OP, though. And they do offer lots to do, just not on the level of some of the nicer neighborhoods in the city. Finances and just how far you want to commute are going to be the two biggest determining factors. If you don't mind a far commute and through-the-roof rent prices, there are lots of neighborhoods within the actual city that are very nice. It's hard to recommend any without knowing those two things, though.
Thanks for this. I think the plan would be to take a year or two and rent someplace in the city even if it is more expensive so we can experience the city and get settled in before kid(s) arrive and force our hand. We have some friends moving back to Chicago after a couple years in Brooklyn that are settling in Morgan Park, actually so that's funny you bring it up. Our combined incomes - while nothing extravagant - should be enough to make the $2k/month rent work. And that is good to know about the area around campus as I have never actually ventured around there. In Boston I commuted from South Boston to Cambridge so I don't mind a bus or train ride, assuming it's mostly reliable (which wasn't always the case with the T in Boston).

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Thanks for this. I think the plan would be to take a year or two and rent someplace in the city even if it is more expensive so we can experience the city and get settled in before kid(s) arrive and force our hand. We have some friends moving back to Chicago after a couple years in Brooklyn that are settling in Morgan Park, actually so that's funny you bring it up. Our combined incomes - while nothing extravagant - should be enough to make the $2k/month rent work. And that is good to know about the area around campus as I have never actually ventured around there. In Boston I commuted from South Boston to Cambridge so I don't mind a bus or train ride, assuming it's mostly reliable (which wasn't always the case with the T in Boston).

Well, Morgan Park, Mt. Greenwood, and Beverly are all bunched together. And they're still considered Chicago. To me, they provide a bit of the "city feel" without the chaos of being in the city proper. Hybrid suburb/city neighborhood, basically. Quite a bit of green space and parks and such. Lots of bars and food places. The Western Crawl was a big hangout for us in our early 20's, and is basically just a big string of bars/taverns/pubs up and down Western Ave. between 103rd and 118th streets in Beverly. There's like 20+ places, I believe, in that short stretch. And I'd say the cost is quite a bit better than living in any of the nicer neighborhoods within the major parts of the city.

If you were dead set on somewhere in like the city "proper", with a $2k budget, you'd probably be able to find something around South Loop, Printers Row, Near South Side, and other neighborhoods around there. Just do your research on the neighborhoods. As you get further north and north of downtown, prices start to skyrocket a bit.

Any time I've used the trains in Chicago, they've been reliable, but I haven't used them for something like commuting every day. Only for going to events and such in the city. I have friends that used them every day, though, and I imagine they would say it's pretty reliable. Never heard many complaints from them.

And yeah, you don't want to venture too far off campus in the areas surrounding it, unless passing through in a car or whatnot. Anywhere east towards the lake would be fine, but I'd avoid doing too much adventuring south, west, or north of the campus. Then again, I probably haven't been over that way in 10 years, so... it may all be changed now.

We do have a couple guys who have lived, or still live in the city, but I think they were primarily north side. They may be able to offer a little more insight into costs and such up there. @Kurtosis @x Tame Impala

Last edited:
Reactions: The Note

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I’d look in Hyde Park for the convenience and because it’s real nice. The surrounding neighborhoods are scary awful, but the train stops right by the campus, and those neighborhoods are easily avoidable.

As someone else mentioned, Oak Park may be a good fit, although it would be a half hour commute. If you want something a little closer, Beverly is a very solid south side option.

If you’re willing to commute a half hour, then river north, Lincoln Park, the west loop…

Last edited:

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
We are in Jackson Hole for 5 days. Saw 7 black bears and one grizzly along with all the other critters. 4 cubs be too and they were super cute playing and rolling around. Still a bit of snow over 7000 feet but all in all very pleasant. Going to hike the next couple days and go to our usual place to see the moose.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Jackson Hole has to be the "worst-sounding name but most rad place" on the planet.
Agree. Most just call it Jackson. We did an 8. + mile hike and saw 3 black bears (one close!) and 2 moose. Now off to the beer fest!

Attachments

• IMG_5236.jpeg
    IMG_5236.jpeg
    444.2 KB · Views: 5

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Our final day in the Tetons/Yellowstone. Yesterday we did the Phelps Lake hike and it was a smooth 8 mile hike with moose seen. Today we did Cascade canyon and it was phenomenal views. Really gorgeous but hard. Rained a couple hours but made for a fun hike. Saw a moose, pika, marmots but I cannot overstate the views. Jaw dropping. You are away from the crowds…peace….enjoying the whole experience. 14.4 miles we did today and my knee says it is done for now. Also, the best Thai and sushi in the USA I have had has been in Jackson and Teton village.

But still ready for Bedard in 32 days!

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Anyone know how to get a signature verified? Got this Seabrook jersey as a gift and the guy said he didn't have the verification, but is 95% sure it's Seabrooks signature.

Attachments

• 20230601_115123.jpg
    20230601_115123.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 3

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Anyone know how to get a signature verified? Got this Seabrook jersey as a gift and the guy said he didn't have the verification, but is 95% sure it's Seabrooks signature.
JSA is the gold standard. Depending on what an item is potentially worth, it may or may not be cost effective once you factor in the authentication fee, shipping, etc.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
JSA is the gold standard. Depending on what an item is potentially worth, it may or may not be cost effective once you factor in the authentication fee, shipping, etc.
Fair enough, I've never really looked into getting something authenticated before. I won't be selling it in my lifetime, so I guess it doesn't matter much until my kids maybe want to see what it's worth.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
My girlfriend’s idiot mother got caught up in a ponzi scheme despite my warnings that it was exactly that. Now the company has 6 lawsuits against it and its assets have been frozen. She put a ton of money into it and has no access to it. She’s coming out of retirement to look for jobs to make ends meet until its resolved, no idea how much if any she’ll get back.

Her sister (my gf’s aunt) also put a ton of money in it, and now isn't sure how she’s gonna make her house payments. Its a shit show.

Part of me wants to rant at them for not listening to me, part of me feels bad for not being able to convince them the whole thing was shady.

It doesnt really affect my gf or I, we’re not being pressured to help out or anything, and I doubt we would be. Just kinda surreal to have the kinda crap you read about in the news hit sorra close to home.

• Wow
Reactions: Putt Pirate

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
My girlfriend’s idiot mother got caught up in a ponzi scheme despite my warnings that it was exactly that. Now the company has 6 lawsuits against it and its assets have been frozen. She put a ton of money into it and has no access to it. She’s coming out of retirement to look for jobs to make ends meet until its resolved, no idea how much if any she’ll get back.

Her sister (my gf’s aunt) also put a ton of money in it, and now isn't sure how she’s gonna make her house payments. Its a shit show.

Part of me wants to rant at them for not listening to me, part of me feels bad for not being able to convince them the whole thing was shady.

It doesnt really affect my gf or I, we’re not being pressured to help out or anything, and I doubt we would be. Just kinda surreal to have the kinda crap you read about in the news hit sorra close to home.
Sorry to hear. Unfortunately lots of folks fall for snake oil salesmen

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

That sucks. Lots of shitty people in this world, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad