News: Ansar Khan - Green Will Waive His NTC for Tampa Bay and Other Potential DET Moves

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Let's just go ahead and call this like it is. Glendenning is not worth Kapanen. If a trade like that happened (very doubtful), it would be a very bad move by Toronto. However, (whether he should be or not) Glendenning is highly valued by the Wings organization and probably the Leafs as well due to the Babcock connection. These shut-down, "coach's dream" centers get way overvalued. Gaustad returned a first and everyone knew he wasn't worth that. Glendenning is very comparable to Gaustad.

Glendenning SHOULD return a 4th round pick (tops) if he's traded. Glendenning WOULD return at least a 2nd round pick if he's traded. If we're trading him, it's not to move salary or get out of his contract, it's because we can get legitimate value for him. Holland and Co. love him too much to move him otherwise.

Reactions: Marky9er

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Bob Mckenzie mentioned 2nd + decent prospect for Nyquist around a week ago.

Would prefer the 1st if we can get it.

Still wouldn't mind seeing Detroit getting 3 1sts (Including theirs. I'm assuming Green is the second and Nyquist is the third) and using theirs or Ottawa's 2nd to move one of the later 1sts.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Other tidbits include Babcock wants Glendening and Kapanen is a possibility. Howard and Mrazek trades were turned down by the Isles and Flyers. The preds have shown interest in Nyquist as well

Tampa Bay best fit for Red Wings' Mike Green

WTF? I wouldn't give away Kapanen for Glendening. Kapanen is a top6 player; good speed and skill. Screw Leafs management if they even consider this

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Outta curiosity, what's Toronto's top 6 look like right now anyways?

Not saying they should give up Kapanen for Glendening, just trying to figure out if their top 6 is stacked enough and young enough that he'll get an opportunity any time soon.

For what it's worth, I don't really think Detroit should be trading for young wingers unless they're going to be elite. I don't think Kapanen is, but if you can trade a 4th liner for him, that's a no brainer. Not saying it would or should happen.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014

Not saying they should give up Kapanen for Glendening, just trying to figure out if their top 6 is stacked enough and young enough that he'll get an opportunity any time soon.

For what it's worth, I don't really think Detroit should be trading for young wingers unless they're going to be elite. I don't think Kapanen is, but if you can trade a 4th liner for him, that's a no brainer. Not saying it would or should happen.

Kapanen might struggle to get opportunity, tho I'm not really a big one on roles by lines, I like what Babs does where there's a checker/puck taker on each line, rather than having a top6/bottom6, or top9/bottom3. So, I'd rather Kapanen on my fourth line than Glendening anyway. But I think the bigger thing here is if you figure the Leafs' right wing depth right now is Nylander, Marner, Brown, and Kapanen, well, there are two guys playing LW right now who are very likely gone next year (JVR/Komarov), and Brown has played a bit of left wing, and Nylander could slot in at center when Bozak leaves, since the long-term plan is still ostensibly to play him at center. Personally, my view of next year has for a while been Hyman/Matthews/Marner, Johnsson/Nylander/Kapanen, Marleau/Kadri/Brown as the top nine, but it's sort of impossible to tell. It's entirely possible that Kapanen is gonna wallow on the fourth line for longer than he should.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
That trade does nothing for Detroit that simply trading Glendening doesn’t also accomplish.

Basically that trade would free up Glendenings salary and flip one of our actually useful D men for a fourth line plugger.

And I’m damn sure that you won’t come up with anything of material value... it would be, hey here’s our second round pick too!

What trade? I left it up to people to fill in what the Leafs would give up after Martin?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Kapanen might struggle to get opportunity, tho I'm not really a big one on roles by lines, I like what Babs does where there's a checker/puck taker on each line, rather than having a top6/bottom6, or top9/bottom3.

You'll learn to hate it when he finds a new Dan Cleary... Or when he decides that the best scoring forward to compliment a line with Datsyuk and Zetterberg on it is Justin Abdelkader.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Idk. There is a report on this board from the Canadian press, saying EK is expected to be dealt in the next 9 days

What was actually said:

"I keep getting told the same thing, and that is don't be surprised if Erik Karlsson is traded in the next nine days. Now Chris, you mentioned last week we know where the Ottawa Senators stand. They want to get the message out that he is unavailable but as one General Manager told me yesterday, if you aren't prepared to make him the highest paid player and there is a belief that he could get there then why would you not explore the maximum value on his return and we know that its going to be this trade deadline, when his contract does expire until 2019. Teams will be trading for at least two oppurtunities to win a cup as opposed to one at the draft."

There’s nothing there.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
What was actually said:

"I keep getting told the same thing, and that is don't be surprised if Erik Karlsson is traded in the next nine days. Now Chris, you mentioned last week we know where the Ottawa Senators stand. They want to get the message out that he is unavailable but as one General Manager told me yesterday, if you aren't prepared to make him the highest paid player and there is a belief that he could get there then why would you not explore the maximum value on his return and we know that its going to be this trade deadline, when his contract does expire until 2019. Teams will be trading for at least two oppurtunities to win a cup as opposed to one at the draft."

There’s nothing there.

Not that any of this should be taken seriously because it's friggin' Kypreos... But the GM that makes Erik Karlsson the highest paid player in the league is a damn fool.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
What trade? I left it up to people to fill in what the Leafs would give up after Martin?

There is no add to that deal that has it make sense from both sides. If the Wings can deal Glendening and get a second round pick and be free of a 4th liner with term, I greatly prefer that to taking back Martin who makes 750k more for the same contract term and giving up on an NHL caliber defenseman and getting a 1st. And dollars to donuts, Toronto fans don’t want to give up the first anyway.

Toronto can ride out their crappy 4th liners contract.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Not that any of this should be taken seriously because it's friggin' Kypreos... But the GM that makes Erik Karlsson the highest paid player in the league is a damn fool.
Yup Karlsson is pretty much a shell of his former self right now, Any GM that offers him a boatload of money needs to have his head examined as i doubt he would live up to that contract.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Kapanen for Glendenning would be a huge overpayment by Toronto. Got to think if they trade Kapanen it'll be for someone better than Glendenning.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
You'll learn to hate it when he finds a new Dan Cleary... Or when he decides that the best scoring forward to compliment a line with Datsyuk and Zetterberg on it is Justin Abdelkader.

eh, I've been fine with Hyman on the top line. My big issue is that it's easy to see when scorers are cooked, because they're scoring less, but it takes forever to see when checkers just can't skate anymore, hence Komarov dressing at all in any game after October.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
One poster asked for a top 10OA pick for Kapenen. Again, I stand by my commentary. It’s not about Glendening, or any 4c for that matter, it’s how Leaf fan —in this thread — is over valuing Kapanen. He’s done nothing yet to warrant an upgrade to his stature from when he was acquired from the Pens. I’d say it’s downgraded, IMO.

The Pens are notorious for dealing prospects that never pan out. We will see what Kapanen turns into.

Oh no, not one poster lol.

It is about Glendening being a 4c. One poster, or even a few in the thread, doesn't change that.

And, I don't really see any argument as to why Kapanen would be downgraded.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Right now our top 9 is:

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Brown

Kapanen could be further up, but Babcock loves his muckers like Hyman.

With JVR and Bozak all likely heading out though, there should be a spot in the top 9 which will increase his minutes pretty healthily and with better players, as well as get him some powerplay time, which he currently has none

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I couldnt find a Mike Green thread (even though I know theres one somewhere) but an article from Detroits best wings reporter came out today saying that Green has waived his NTC to go to Tampa Bay. "The lightning and wings have had many discussion and will continue to do so"... says that a deal will likely be based around Tampas first rounder.

Other tidbits include Babcock wants Glendening and Kapanen is a possibility. Howard and Mrazek trades were turned down by the Isles and Flyers. The preds have shown interest in Nyquist as well

Tampa Bay best fit for Red Wings' Mike Green

The Flyers might want to reconsider at this point... Neuvirth just went down.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Oh no, not one poster lol.

It is about Glendening being a 4c. One poster, or even a few in the thread, doesn't change that.

And, I don't really see any argument as to why Kapanen would be downgraded.

Can he be a top 6 winger in the NHL though? I think that's the question the Leafs are asking themselves, as at some point next season, he's going to have to clear waivers, no? So if he's not in your top 6 going into next season, his value drops significantly. If you can get a player who slides right into your lineup for the next couple of seasons, maybe they think it's worth it. Especially if they dont think he's a long term solution. If they traded him on the open market, would they get anything more than a late 2nd? I'm not so sure they would.

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
I think Leafs media and fans overrate Kapanen's offensive potential, but I very well may turn out to be wrong.
My main thought here is that if the Leafs really think their window is open and they can win a cup, Glendening would help them more in accomplishing that this season and next (and maybe even further?). Later on down the road, sure Kapanen may be the better player...but the question is: Are the Leafs looking to win now?

It's not an earth shattering trade either way, so perhaps I am just splitting hairs
Kapanen is already the far superior player. Better offensively, plays a very good pk and skates like the wind.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The Wings offered Howard and it is a fairly likely that when that offer was rejected, they would have asked if the NYI had any interest in Mzarek.
Halak has played better the last 4-5 weeks behind a tire fire of a defense. It helps that injured players Boychuk, Ladd, Bailey and Cizikas have returned.

Isles need a top 4 D who can help keep pucks out their net, more then they need a goalie.

I wouldn't want Howard but Mrazek would make sense with an eye towards the future. I don't think Halak is going to come back to the Islanders after being exiled to the AHL at times by the Islanders and Greiss isn't a capable starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad