News: Ansar Khan - Green Will Waive His NTC for Tampa Bay and Other Potential DET Moves

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Wait we're the only team he's willing to waive to? That's not good. Like really not good
That's what the Wings beat writer Ansar Khan said that Mike Green agreed to waive his full NTC for Tampa only but that could change if a deal isn't struck between Yzerman and Holland.

I don't know about "most Leaf fans" but I'd say that they're very comparable as prospects. Perception of Mantha got inflated from being a 19 year old man child shredding the weak Q as a 19 year old, Kappy's deflated jumping to the AHL young. But at 20/21 in the AHL/NHL Kapanen has arguably been better. Obviously he hasn't played his 22 and 23 year old seasons yet so we'll have to see if he can stay on the curve and match what Mantha has done, he doesn't get credit for that until he's done it. But don't act like they're worlds apart.

Kapanen in a deal for Glendenning would be an absolute coupe/ monumental error (depending on perspective)
Yeah most is probably a bit extreme, But i know a few told me that they felt that Kapanen would be just as good if not better then Mantha. If he's playing with Matthews then maybe that could possibly be. If Mantha was playing with Tavares he's probably a 40+ goal scorer as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Holland most likely asked for Kapanen and Lou told him to go pound sand.

It's also very possible that Khan was simply told "a good prospect" and he elaborated by naming Toronto's top prospect as an example. It's the same kind of speculating that goes on all the time by posters on this board when a deal is rumored for a player -- "oh, let's get their best prospect!!!".

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
That's what the Wings beat writer Ansar Khan said that Mike Green agreed to waive his full NTC for Tampa only but that could change if a deal isn't struck between Yzerman and Holland.

Well I'm a little bit busy but not too bad and glanced at the article briefly. If my reading comprehension sucks right now and it was said then I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I guess no matter what we can put the odds of Mike Green to Tampa Bay at 50/50 at least

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
It's also very possible that Khan was simply told "a good prospect" and he elaborated by naming Toronto's top prospect as an example. It's the same kind of speculating that goes on all the time by posters on this board when a deal is rumored for a player -- "oh, let's get their best prospect!!!".
I think you're spot on here, Khan was probably told that Holland probably wants Toronto's best prospect for Glendening and that would be Kasperi Kapanen. But it doesn't mean that's what he's going to get.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
First bold yes because he's already playing there now and babcock has finally realized than he's more useful than Martin.

I mean, that, and he literally already played six playoff games and scored twice including an overtime winner against Washington last year.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Well I'm a little bit busy but not too bad and glanced at the article briefly. If my reading comprehension sucks right now and it was said then I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I guess no matter what we can put the odds of Mike Green to Tampa Bay at 50/50 at least
Agreed i think Yzerman goes blown out after Erik Karlsson, At least that's my dream as both a Wings and Lightning fan i sure hope so.

Wasn’t he also linked to Washington?
Supposedly he was, I know there's interest there Green wants a cup and probably figures that Tampa would be his best chance.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Glendening is a proven bottom six center that Babcock leans heavily on in the playoffs. You think in a seven game series against Tampa or Pittsburgh Babcock is going to throw Kapanen out there on the 4th line? Kapenen will be back with the Marlies come playoff time. I still don't see where he fits with the Leafs long term in the top 6, either.

To be honest, Glendening would most likely be wanted as a Dominic Moore replacement to play alongside Komarov and Kapanen. As for Kapanen in the playoffs, Babcock played him last year in the playoffs (on the fourth line, I believe) against the Capitals. He scored two goals, one of which was an overtime winner.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Yeah most is probably a bit extreme, But i know a few told me that they felt that Kapanen would be just as good if not better then Mantha. If he's playing with Matthews then maybe that could possibly be. If Mantha was playing with Tavares he's probably a 40+ goal scorer as well.

"Would/ will" is a dumb statement. Similarly dumb to denying a very real "could". He tracks favourably/comparably to both Mantha and Tatar (eerily similar to Tatar), and would be viewed much more favourable by fans and outsiders alike if he wasn't playing 4th fiddle to Matthews/Marner/Nylander. Devaluing him based on "6 points in 34 NHL games" is effectively penalizing him for not being ready @ 19 when they gave all their prospects a taste in a lost season + being a versatile enough player to bring value in a depth role @ 20 and 21 rather than being held down to wait for a top 9 spot.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If there was any big move I was hoping SY made it was this. Just seeing Hedman and Karlsson as a pairing would be incredible.
Same here even as rental he would make the Lightning odds on favorites to win their 2nd cup this year, Even if he's only in Tampa for 1.5 years he still could help the Bolts win back to back cups and a Hedman Karlsson pairing would be a dream come true.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I think you're spot on here, Khan was probably told that Holland probably wants Toronto's best prospect for Glendening and that would be Kasperi Kapanen. But it doesn't mean that's what he's going to get.

I think Khan was told what he wrote which was something like "a decent pick or one of Toronto's many good prospects." Khan then speculated on Kapanen as a possibility.

Mac03

Jan 8, 2016
I'm not understanding why the Leafs fans are getting all worked up and ragging on the Wings/fan base/writer about what is posted in that article, so if someone could clarify, I'd appreciate it...

The article states that the Wings and Leafs have talked about Glendening. I believe this, because Babcock is a huge fan.

The article states that the Wings have made it clear that they are not giving him away - this tells me that they don't want to trade him, unless there is an over payment of some sort, the deal has to look good for the Wings. If a team has no interest in trading a player, but another team wants that player, is it wrong to only want to trade said player if the return can't be turned away?

For example. Lets say the Oilers and Leafs talk about a Mathews deal. Obviously the Leafs don't want to trade him, so if they were to say something like Ok, lets talk, but it starts around McDavid. ( I know, Glendening / Kap != Mathews/McDavid - but trying to make a point). You can't hate on the Leafs or their fans for that ask.

Lastly, the article doesn't flat out say it's a 1:1 offer for Glendending / Kap. So how do we know there isn't other pieces? It's absolutely crazy to think that this deal would happen 1:1. But if Detroit doesn't really want to trade him Glendening, it makes sense why the ask is what it is, like my previous example, you either hit a grand slam or you stay put.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

There's absolutely nothing in this article that indicates Tampa is the only team he will waive for...

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'm not understanding why the Leafs fans are getting all worked up and ragging on the Wings/fan base/writer about what is posted in that article, so if someone could clarify, I'd appreciate it...

The article states that the Wings have made it clear that they are not giving him away - this tells me that they don't want to trade him, unless there is an over payment of some sort, the deal has to look good for the Wings. If a team has no interest in trading a player, but another team wants that player, is it wrong to only want to trade said player if the return can't be turned away?

Put yourself back @ deadline 2016 or 2013. DRW want a 4th line centre and the names Mantha (16) and Tatar (13) come into play. Do you care about how the other team feels about trading their 4C? Does the hypothetical inclusion of other depth pieces make it any better?

Back on topic though I'd offer 3rd+Moore+Goat/Valiev/Neilsen.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Put yourself back @ deadline 2016 or 2013. DRW want a 4th line centre and the names Mantha (16) and Tatar (13) come into play. Do you care about how the other team feels about trading their 4C? Does the hypothetical inclusion of other depth pieces make it any better?

And what about the 2012 deadline when Nashville paid a 1st for Gaustad? You could also phrase it as why should Detroit care that Toronto wants Glendening? Detroit management speaks glowingly about Glendening as a long term piece and mentor that young players should model themselves after. Why not give an extremely high asking price that you don't really care if the other team accepts it or not? Its why a Glendening trade happening is extremely unlikely.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
We had almost no young talent those years, you guys have tons. Please share.

Reactions: 4thline

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
"Would/ will" is a dumb statement. Similarly dumb to denying a very real "could". He tracks favourably/comparably to both Mantha and Tatar (eerily similar to Tatar), and would be viewed much more favourable by fans and outsiders alike if he wasn't playing 4th fiddle to Matthews/Marner/Nylander. Devaluing him based on "6 points in 34 NHL games" is effectively penalizing him for not being ready @ 19 when they gave all their prospects a taste in a lost season + being a versatile enough player to bring value in a depth role @ 20 and 21 rather than being held down to wait for a top 9 spot.
It is not Mantha's fault that he has one of if not the worst coach in the NHL. Trashhill would use Ovi as a net front player. The staff here can not keep any chemistry at all, as soon as guys start playing well switch the lines. The coaching here is a joke.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
And what about the 2012 deadline when Nashville paid a 1st for Gaustad? You could also phrase it as why should Detroit care that Toronto wants Glendening? Detroit management speaks glowingly about Glendening as a long term piece and mentor that young players should model themselves after. Why not give an extremely high asking price that you don't really care if the other team accepts it or not? Its why a Glendening trade happening is extremely unlikely.

The question was "why are Leafs fans getting worked up". Not "what's wrong with setting an unreasonable asking price when you don't want to move a player". The getting worked up is simply calling a spade a spade especially when the mention of Kapanen looks more like ignorant/ off hand speculation rather than part of the insider info. "A decent pick or one of Toronto's many good prospects". Prospects of Kapanen's calibre (if you don't consider him and Dermott graduated) are those two and Liljegren, with A. Johnsson creeping into the the convo. Not exactly many. and not exactly equivalent to a "decent" pick.

The off hand/ speculative inclusion of Kapanen changes the meaning, message from "you're not getting him for a 4th, we need one of your 2nds or a guy like Bracco" to "we're not moving him with out 1st or top prospect, we know you want pay that so lets finish our drinks and catch up"

Last edited:

Mac03

Jan 8, 2016

Would I fault other teams for asking for Mantha or Tatar if Detroit is going after a player that a team regards highly of and does not want to trade? Absolutely not. Would I sit here complaining about the fan base, or a writer that reports that? Absolutely not.

If any team has a player that they hold in high regard, regardless of their skill, and doesn't want to give them up unless it's an over payment and ask for Mantha or Tatar or any other skilled player, then good on them. I wouldn't WANT or LIKE that trade, I would be against it, but I sure as hell wouldn't fault the opposing team or fan base for that ask. Actually, good on them for being so high on a player and refusing to give him up easily.

The question was "why are Leafs fans getting worked up". Not "what's wrong with setting an unreasonable asking price when you don't want to move a player". The getting worked up is simply calling a spade a spade especially when the mention of Kapanen looks more like ignorant/ off hand speculation rather than part of the insider info. "A decent pick or one of Toronto's many good prospects. Prospects of Kapanen's calibre (if you don't consider him and Dermott graduated) are those two and Liljegren, with A. Johnsson creeping into the the convo. Not exactly many. and not exactly equivalent to a "decent" pick. The off hand/ speculative inclusion of Kapanen changes the meaning, message from "you're not getting him for a 4th, we need one of your 2nds or a guy like Bracco" to "we're not moving him with out 1st or top prospect, we know you want pay that so lets finish our drinks and catch up"

But you don't know that (and we don't either). What we do know is that Babcock like Glendening, so it makes sense that the Leafs and the Wings would talk, and we know that the Wings hold Glendening in high regard and don't want to trade him. So is it crazy to think that the Wings would be willing to trade him for an over payment? The trade of Glendening and Kap 1:1 is crazy - I'm not disagreeing with that, and I haven't seen anyone else disagree with that either, but it doesn't mean that Holland isn't looking for a grand slam. Maybe he sees an opportunity, knowing how much Babs like Glendening? We, on this board, cannot know this.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
@Mac03 A key part of that phrase was "looks more like". It's quite possible that I'm wrong, but you have to admit that it doesn't extactly jive with the preceding statement. He's not equivalent in value to a "decent pick" (unless that means our 1st), and he's not one of our "many good prospects" he's (if not considered graduated) our clear cut best F prospect and part a pretty definite group of top 3 guys. Like I said the inclusion of Kapanen's name changes the convo from "you're not getting him for a 4th, we need one of your 2nds or a guy like Bracco" to "we're not moving him with out 1st or top prospect, we know you wont pay that so lets finish our drinks and catch up"

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Yeah but being the ONLY team ala Marty St. Louis to the NYR just sounded a little fishy. Idk I'll have to read the article again. I could've sworn it didn't say we were the ONLY team he'd waive for

Could be that Tampa is the only team to have meaningful trade talks about Green. No sense in Holland asking Green if he'd waive for this or that team if talks are going nowhere. I'm pretty sure Green would waive for Washington.

Last edited:

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
But you don't know that (and we don't either). What we do know is that Babcock like Glendening, so it makes sense that the Leafs and the Wings would talk, and we know that the Wings hold Glendening in high regard and don't want to trade him. So is it crazy to think that the Wings would be willing to trade him for an over payment? The trade of Glendening and Kap 1:1 is crazy - I'm not disagreeing with that, and I haven't seen anyone else disagree with that either, but it doesn't mean that Holland isn't looking for a grand slam. Maybe he sees an opportunity, knowing how much Babs like Glendening? We, on this board, cannot know this.

yes, none of this know that for sure, but there are probably a trillion ripoff attempts in the NHL every year (sometimes I look at the deals for Joe Thornton, Dan Boyle, Brent Burns etc and wonder if Doug Wilson doesn't just put in an EA sports offer to someone every few weeks and wait for someone to say yes). Is it worth talking about Holland asking for something he'll never get? Though, I will say, and I don't wanna get into details here because there's a lot of stuff here about posting unverified "insider" stuff, but I was told in June that a trade fell apart that would've involved Kapanen for another player that I really don't think he would've been worth trading for, so you never really know what Lou Lamoriello thinks of anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad