Another fight after a clean hit (Brad Stuart obliterates Pietrangelo)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Ok here is my take I know im probably going to get attacked for saying it but its a perfectly valid point, so....

Ten years ago if these two teams were playing and this same play happened Twist would have done the exact same thing as what stewert did and nobody would have had a problem with it, and the play would have been just as legal then and the instigator would still have been given. Enforcers didnt just stop dirty hits they stopped opponents from hitting their star players. While obviously stewert is not an enforcer he played an enforcer in that situation.

While there is nothing wrong with this hit or any other clean big hit there is also nothing wrong with players sticking up for their teammates. If later in the game or in a future game stuart has the opportunity to hit Petro or any other blues player he might remember the fight that resulted in the last time he hit somebody and he wont make the hit. If that happens the Stewert did exactly what the point was of an enforcer.

Gretzky rarely was hit legally or illegally bc players knew if they hit Gretzky they would have some one wanting to fight them because of it.

Stewert didnt jump stuart or anything like that he approached a guy with the intention of fighting and both players agreed to fight. Its not like stewert dropped his gloves grabbed stuart and started swinging Stuart actually dropped his gloves first.

Bear Pride

Feb 13, 2009
Montreal
So much butthurt. Gotta send a message if you mess with star players.

Not just star players. Team mates. If you see a hit you don't like on the ice, you have 2 options. 1) whine 2) do something about it. If you choose 2, challenging a guy to fight is a lot better, and dare i say honorable, that whacking him with the stick or giving him a little elbow next time you hit him.

Man up, or go watch the Euro leagues.

redwings85

In Ozzie I trust.
Nov 11, 2008
America's Hat.
Wow. This happens all the time. Stewart got the instigator and a misconduct. We wouldn't be making a big deal about this if Stuart didn't get destroyed. He also dropped his gloves first.

The thing is... Stewart was sitting on the bench... after the hit happened Hitchcock puts him on... Stewart totally ignores what's going on the ice and goes straight for Stuart...

Sure he got 2+5+10... but Stewart did not need to be a complete tool.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I remember a time when the Wings actually guys on their roster capable of a beat down like that. Just because they've chosen to totally go away from that part of the game (hey it's working for them) doesn't mean the rest of the league has to.

PlagerBros*

Interesting that there was no mention of Stuart having his jersey come up very easily or that the hit was pretty high (not saying illegal, but very close at least) or that Stuart dropped the gloves first. I have never bought into the whole Wings are the golden child of the league and Versus (NBC Sports Network) but I find all of this very odd.

Banana Sandwiches

Jul 18, 2011
Unlike us, Chris Stewart doesn't have the luxury of watching replays in slo-mo from multiple angles to tell if it was clean or not. On a live look in real time that could come across as a hit to the head. Plus, he didn't completely maul Stuart to start the fight. Brad Stuart could have skated away.

I think Chris Stewart did the right thing.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Interesting that there was no mention of Stuart having his jersey come up very easily or that the hit was pretty high (not saying illegal, but very close at least) or that Stuart dropped the gloves first. I have never bought into the whole Wings are the golden child of the league and Versus (NBC Sports Network) but I find all of this very odd.

:biglaugh: :facepalm: Now you're just pulling things out of nowhere.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
a lot of crying in this thread. who cares if stuart was challenged. he better have been. Petro is easily our best player. after seeing perron out of a season.. clean hit or not.. you have to send a message.

You know what I find ironic about this post. The Blues plaster players like that all the time...and you, the Blues fan base, says it tough clean hockey. But NOW...players have to answer to that hit. How would the Blues fanbase feel having to watch Backes or Jackman answser after a clean hit almost every game?

Langdon Alger*

Where does this come from? Well, just look at this very board. Any hit harder than a slight nudge is analyzed to the nth degree, with hundreds of posts combing over the check and trying to find something dirty about it to complain about.

Where do you think it comes from?

Bear Pride

Feb 13, 2009
Montreal
Ok here is my take I know im probably going to get attacked for saying it but its a perfectly valid point, so....

Ten years ago if these two teams were playing and this same play happened Twist would have done the exact same thing as what stewert did and nobody would have had a problem with it, and the play would have been just as legal then and the instigator would still have been given. Enforcers didnt just stop dirty hits they stopped opponents from hitting their star players. While obviously stewert is not an enforcer he played an enforcer in that situation.

While there is nothing wrong with this hit or any other clean big hit there is also nothing wrong with players sticking up for their teammates. If later in the game or in a future game stuart has the opportunity to hit Petro or any other blues player he might remember the fight that resulted in the last time he hit somebody and he wont make the hit. If that happens the Stewert did exactly what the point was of an enforcer.

Gretzky rarely was hit legally or illegally bc players knew if they hit Gretzky they would have some one wanting to fight them because of it.

Stewert didnt jump stuart or anything like that he approached a guy with the intention of fighting and both players agreed to fight. Its not like stewert dropped his gloves grabbed stuart and started swinging Stuart actually dropped his gloves first.

Exactly. :handclap:

I'll also add, that i prefer to see a fight of this kind than 2 meat-heads chatting before the whistle and putting on a show. THIS is why there is fighting in a game. To remind players they can't just run around doing whatever they want, EVEN IF IT'S A "CLEAN" HIT. The intimidation factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad