Value of: Andreas Johnsson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Signing bonuses have already been paid. So I stopped reading when you started talking about Arizona paying the SB.

Not sure why a Kuemper trade doesn't happen or is agreed to before a Hjalmarsson deal. But then you were worried about SB's being paid that already are paid. If both Anderson and Johnsson are moved in a package coming back would be more than just Hjalmarsson. Who knows maybe the deal would be Hjalmarsson or insert other Dman /Kuemper plus pieces for Andersen/Johnsson plus pieces. but the value and the needs fit both teams for more reasons than just on a hockey talent level.

P.S. Bobby Clarke is a Flyer. Why is it on HF when a neutral 3rd party fan makes a post they disagree with they suddenly become a fan of the team on the opposite end of the argument?

Because HF doesn't stop and think

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
AJ - 2.6, 2.5, 2.5 (3.4 AAV)

Crouse - 1.35, 2.25 (1.533 AAV)
Wood - 2.5, 2.5 (2.75 AAV)
Both are guys with size, and some snarl. Both teams need to find some scoring. Wood is obviously a bit better now, but Crouse may have the better upside if he develops well.

Another guy who could make sense would be Marcus Foligno. Good defensive 3W, a bit cheaper at 2.875 aav, but owed 3m next year.

In any trade for AJ, if the Leafs are bringing someone back who is meant to play, I am looking for them to add a prospect to try and get some retention.

I.e. AJ + Bracco for Wood @ 2.25m aav or Crouse at 1.033

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
AJ - 2.6, 2.5, 2.5 (3.4 AAV)

Crouse - 1.35, 2.25 (1.533 AAV)
Wood - 2.5, 2.5 (2.75 AAV)
Both are guys with size, and some snarl. Both teams need to find some scoring. Wood is obviously a bit better now, but Crouse may have the better upside if he develops well.

Another guy who could make sense would be Marcus Foligno. Good defensive 3W, a bit cheaper at 2.875 aav, but owed 3m next year.

In any trade for AJ, if the Leafs are bringing someone back who is meant to play, I am looking for them to add a prospect to try and get some retention.

I.e. AJ + Bracco for Wood @ 2.25m aav or Crouse at 1.033

Bracco's value is shot

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
They need a minimum of 2 D unless you are confident Marincin can be a #7 and if you are you are blatantly ignoring ALL evidence to the contrary

I think that between Marincin & Rosen, one is likely to be our 7th D. There's also a decent chance that this Lehtonen guy, who would theoretically be in mid-season form, finds himself a spot. Dubas has also alluded to wanting some flexibility for in-season additions, something they did not have this year. Spending $3m+ for Jason Demers to be a 4/5 defenceman for us doesn't make a ton of sense.

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
It was Johnsson that looked out of place to start this season. Didn’t play well prior to his injury. TML are getting a meager return if they are hell bent on trading him this offseason. You hate hearing it but it’s true. He’s not valuable until he proves healthy and improves his play.

You realize that AJ's production before going down to injury (on a per game average) was 87% of what it was the year before, right? And that also includes the 13 games with 5 points he played between injuring it the first time and when he got shut down for surgery, right?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think that between Marincin & Rosen, one is likely to be our 7th D. There's also a decent chance that this Lehtonen guy, who would theoretically be in mid-season form, finds himself a spot. Dubas has also alluded to wanting some flexibility for in-season additions, something they did not have this year. Spending $3m+ for Jason Demers to be a 4/5 defenceman for us doesn't make a ton of sense.

It doesn't have to be Demers, I'd prefer it wasn't but you need to get somebody because once Muzzin went down the defense went to shit that CANNOT happen again ano no Marincin cannot play he's proven that

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I don't think the Leafs are at all interested in Jason Demers. They really need 1 defenceman, and he's not it.

I think from the Coyotes, it's Crouse or bust. I think the Leafs will look at him as a player who's not going to develop his offensive game in Arizona, but put him with the talent the Leafs have, and there's an opportunity to get a 20/20 guy out of him for the next couple of years at a great cap hit.

Coyotes get a guy with more long term security, and who's shown more offensive upside at this point in his career -- likely important to a team starving for offence. Taylor Hall isn't coming back.

That being said, if Crouse isn't an option, would Coyote fans do Fischer for Rodrigues or Gauthier?

No interest in moving Crouse. He's not too far off the 20/20 pace in Arizona anyway. 15 goals in a shortened season this year.

No real interest in the other idea. Fischer for a decent draft pick, sure, but not either of those guys.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
The Leafs really don't have a single RD under contract? (Liljegren, but he hasn't shown enough yet)

Demers plays top pairing in AZ only because he has good chemistry with OEL but he hasn't looked out of the place in that role either. But he is otherwise a very capable second pairing guy who can suck up 20 minutes.

So you could roll with:

Rielly - TBD
Muzzin - Demers
Sandin - ?? (Dermott?, even though he's LD)

Seems you have a bunch of guys who can fit into that 6th spot. 1st pairing with Rielly would still need to be solved. For the rest, I assume Barrie is walking and Ceci is a maybe based on Dubas's comments. That Justin Holl contract is a little nuts too btw.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
huh? Kappy proved he was completely unable to play with top 6 players.

he was not impressive this year at all

He fought a couple of times that was the highlight.

Didn't they decide to play him on the wrong wing and expect him to be a grinding tough puck retrieval guy? Talk about bad development strategy. I think he will turn things up on his new team.

JayKnowsHockey

Nov 27, 2017
If Lightning pay a 1st for a guy like Goodrow than no reason AJ can’t return something similar. Even if Leafs held onto him for a little bit longer

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Leafs really don't have a single RD under contract? (Liljegren, but he hasn't shown enough yet)

Demers plays top pairing in AZ only because he has good chemistry with OEL but he hasn't looked out of the place in that role either. But he is otherwise a very capable second pairing guy who can suck up 20 minutes.

So you could roll with:

Rielly - TBD
Muzzin - Demers

Seems you have a bunch of guys who can fit into that 6th spot. 1st pairing with Rielly would still need to be solved. For the rest, I assume Barrie is walking and Ceci is a maybe based on Dubas's comments. That Justin Holl contract is a little nuts too btw.

Holl is a RD but he's pretty much all they got

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
If Lightning pay a 1st for a guy like Goodrow than no reason AJ can’t return something similar. Even if Leafs held onto him for a little bit longer

It was Goodrow and a third for a first
And Tampa payed that for his low cap, if he was signed like AJ, Tampa would never have traded for him…..

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
McDavid for AJ???

But seriously... even if the Leafs did need to trade him for pure cap space, realistically, they're probably looking at either a 2nd round pick this year, and 4th or 5th either this year or next; or maybe something like a 3rd this year, and 2nd next year.
massive fail

you forgot to add a 2nd round pick on one or the other side to balance the value.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
I think whoever trades for him will come out as a big winner. Unlike KK I think he could be a legit top 6 winger in the right situation. A good buy low candidate for a smart GM.

Reactions: Nifty Sauce

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Benning straight up or a 2021 3rd + 4th . Maybe Leafs add something good and get Larsson

While adding something to get Larsson makes sense for both clubs as you get a relatively cheap top 6 forward which EDM needs and the TML get a solid defensive RHD you’re not going to be getting a massive Plus IMO. Larsson value has fallen off a cliff and I honestly think at this point Holland would rather roll with him for another year and lose him as a UFA rather than take on an underwhelming return (perception wise). Not sure what the add would be but it’s not going to be any of the young kids at any position. Hate to be that guy but Bracco needs an opportunity somewhere because he ain’t Getting it with the TML. Pick wise unless it at the end of the draft the TML are in no position to give away anything in the high to mid rounds for one year of a player.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

So you could roll with:

Rielly - TBD
Muzzin - Demers

The Leafs have Justin Holl who is a natural RD -- who's actually been fine as a top 4 defenceman for us. Late bloomer who has paid off for us huge.

They're looking for a #2-3 guy to play with Rielly, and that's not Jason Demers. Beyond that, Dermott will likely find himself on the right side for a substantially smaller cap hit than Demers.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
sorry but. How do you know this? Do you watch a ton of leaf games?
Lol it is very clear they do not watch many leaf games but are just looking at hockeydb likely.

AJ actually had a good game 5 especially after being out injuried so long. He was robbed of a goal and was noticable throughout with his tenacity, energy and general activity around the net.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Leafs have Justin Holl who is a natural RD -- who's actually been fine as a top 4 defenceman for us. Late bloomer who has paid off for us huge.

They're looking for a #2-3 guy to play with Rielly, and that's not Jason Demers. Beyond that, Dermott will likely find himself on the right side for a substantially smaller cap hit than Demers.

Dermott hasn't played RD consistently since 2015 I'm not convinced he's not part of a trade to bring in a RD

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Dermott hasn't played RD consistently since 2015 I'm not convinced he's not part of a trade to bring in a RD

He might be, but if that happens, the Leafs will likely be looking for somebody in UFA that they can sign for under $2m to fill that 3rd pair role.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
It was pretty evident that the Leafs had very little forward depth when they played against Columbus. Trading Kapanen and Johnsson makes this even worse. And they don't have much in the pipeline other than Robertson.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Signing bonuses have already been paid. So I stopped reading when you started talking about Arizona paying the SB.

Not sure why a Kuemper trade doesn't happen or is agreed to before a Hjalmarsson deal. But then you were worried about SB's being paid that already are paid. If both Anderson and Johnsson are moved in a package coming back would be more than just Hjalmarsson. Who knows maybe the deal would be Hjalmarsson or insert other Dman /Kuemper plus pieces for Andersen/Johnsson plus pieces. but the value and the needs fit both teams for more reasons than just on a hockey talent level.

P.S. Bobby Clarke is a Flyer. Why is it on HF when a neutral 3rd party fan makes a post they disagree with they suddenly become a fan of the team on the opposite end of the argument?
Let me sum it up for you Hjalmarsson has a SB too so there is no cash savings - bad argument. I'm not a Leaf or Arizona fan either, you picked your side that's where I put you.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Johnsson for Baertschi and rights to Tanev...how badly does TO want the get Tanev? If Tanev doesn't sign you get a 2021 3rd round pick, its a risk...a risk worth taking?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad