Value of: Andreas Johnsson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
It's funny that people are saying mid round picks, when Kase netted the ducks a 1st and Kase is much MUCH more injury prone.

If Kase gets a 1st Johnsson gets at least a 2nd, or prospect that is the equivalent of a 2nd
Backes... you know they got Kase for free since Backes would cost a 1 to dump, since he earn almost as much as a certain Leaf-player who costed a first to dump, so by your logic, Johnsson is free?

Reactions: Luckylarry

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
, I think With Kapanen netting a 1st and a good prospect, that does nothing but increase Johnsson's value.

I'm not suggesting Johnsson gets another 1st I don't think he does, I don't think there is another GM has desperate as Pittsburgh is to win another cup before the window closes.

But Johnsson has a scored 20 goals and has a good contract I think that can land a 2nd and a 3rd or a 2nd and a prospect.

For those wondering why Toronto would mive Johnsson if his contract is good they are completely changing the bottom 6.
Johnsson gets a 3rd if you’re lucky. He played poorly and got significantly injured this past season. Played one playoff game and looked as expected, very rusty and not fully recovered. A bit of an off choice to pull Robertson for him in a must win game. Good news for TML fans is that Robertson looks like the real deal. Bad news is that Johnsson looks like an asset of little value this offseason.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Backes... you know they got Kase for free since Backes would cost a 1 to dump, since he earn almost as much as a certain Leaf-player who costed a first to dump, so by your logic, Johnsson is free?
Johnsson won’t cost much more than free. The Leafs had one player they were willing to trade that has value. They traded him to Pitt. Now TML have zero valuable assets to trade they’d be willing to part with. I’m removing Sandin, Robertson and Nylander as those three seem untouchable to most TML fans or Dubas.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
why do you ask people for their opinion, if you don't want to hear anything else than the confirmation of your own?

The opinions have to be somewhere in the realm of reality, for example I have said I feel if Kase gets a 1st, which he did, then Johnsson needs to get at least a 2nd or a prospect that is the equivalent of a 2nd.

If you come back and say a 3rd and prospect we disagree but I won't bash you for it.

But if you come out and you say a 4th for 5th that's just not reality the difference between Johnsson and Kase is not 3-4 rounds.

I think if both are healthy Kase would be better but he's not THAT much better

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I think if both are healthy Kase would be better but he's not THAT much better if he gets a 1st which he did then Johnsson needs to get at least a 2nd or a prospect that is the equivalent of a 2nd

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Kapanen is a drastically better player than Johnsson and isnt coming off a massive injury. Just like how Marner’s contract had no effect on Rantanen's, Rutherford's stupidity should have no effect on Johnsson's value
Kasperi Kapanen? I mean, he’s faster but basically everything else is near equal or advantage Johnsson. The difference in IQ and skill alone more than make up for the difference in speed.

Johnsson was injured last year and doesn’t have the same draft pedigree but when healthy it’s not really close. He’s a prime ‘buy low’ candidate.

Reactions: New Liskeard

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I think if both are healthy Kase would be better but he's not THAT much better if he gets a 1st which he did then Johnsson needs to get at least a 2nd or a prospect that is the equivalent of a 2nd
David Backes and a first for Kase. Kase by himself was never ever worth a first.

Reactions: go4hockey

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think a lot of people are undervaluing Johnsson. He's got good offensive skill and is on a good contract. I understand the fact that he's never played 82 games and has a recent injury concern, but he's a solid player. I won't be surprised by a 2nd and decent prospect or even a late 1st for him given he's got good term left. Of course, teams with a late first may not have a need for him which is always the tricky part, but a 2nd and prospect won't shock me at all.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
The opinions have to be somewhere in the realm of reality, for example I have said I feel if Kase gets a 1st, which he did, then Johnsson needs to get at least a 2nd or a prospect that is the equivalent of a 2nd.

If you come back and say a 3rd and prospect we disagree but I won't bash you for it.

But if you come out and you say a 4th for 5th that's just not reality the difference between Johnsson and Kase is not 3-4 rounds.

I think if both are healthy Kase would be better but he's not THAT much better

You keep bringing up Kase but refuse to talk about the cap dumb that was sent to Anaheim in the deal. That’s the reason a 1st was sent but please keep ignoring the facts.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think a lot of people are undervaluing Johnsson. He's got good offensive skill and is on a good contract. I understand the fact that he's never played 82 games and has a recent injury concern, but he's a solid player. I won't be surprised by a 2nd and decent prospect or even a late 1st for him given he's got good term left. Of course, teams with a late first may not have a need for him which is always the tricky part, but a 2nd and prospect won't shock me at all.

That or a solid hockey trade. There's a lot of true depth likely to be available cheaply in UFA, but there's only a handful of players that are legitimate threats to go 20/20 and they're not likely signing for 2.6 cash x 3

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
When was the last time you saw a recent 20 goal scorer get traded for a mid round pick? UFA rights aside you will be hard pressed to come up with a recent answer

Soderberg being dealt for a fringe NHL'er but mostly AHL'er and a 3rd round pick. It does happen still depending on the circumstances.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Possibly worth a 4th or 5th round pick. Coming off major knee surgery without proving he can still be a 20/20 middle 6er limits interest.

I suggest you spend a few minutes researching past trades. It won't take long to come to the conclusion that this is an awful, awful take on Johnsson's value. And this is coming from someone who is far from a Johnsson fan.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

This.

Some serious underrating of Johnsson in this thread. Teams aren't going to be worried about whether a 25 year old player (with not a lot of "miles" on him) is going to recover from a busted knee. Sure he looked rusty in game 5, who wouldn't after being off 5 months? He's got at least another 3 to continue rehabbing it. The only real question in Johnsson's game -- how much of his 20 goals were driven by Auston Matthews

Will he get a 1st? no he will not. He's not enough of a "potential boom player" to justify that like Kapanen is/was. He is however, more universally appealing.

Kap is one of the fastest straight line skaters in the league, and can be very dangerous on the PK. He's got a pretty good shot, but isn't that great in the corners. Johnsson is more of a "jack of all trades" kind of player, and while I think the Pens look at Kap as an ideal fit for a guy like Malkin, Johnsson is more of a guy that any team can put on either their 2nd or 3rd line, and get some solid 2-way play out of.

Personally, I don't think he'll even return draft picks. The Leafs don't need to dump him in order to sign a UFA defenceman (unless it's Pietrangelo)... he'll likely be used for bait in a player(s)-for-player(s) swap to either get somebody with more sandpaper, or a top 4 defenceman.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I suggest you spend a few minutes researching past trades. It won't take long to come to the conclusion that this is an awful, awful take on Johnsson's value. And this is coming from someone who is far from a Johnsson fan.

If you've done the research then I'd be interested to hear what team has paid a premium asset like a 2nd round pick for a middle-6 winger who recently had major knee surgery. I think it is also fair to say he was having a below-average year for his expectations before the injury as well.

What are the comparables? Kase is a decent one but given that it would have cost a 1st anyway to dump Backes I think you'd have to agree there wasn't much value there.

Dzingle scored 26 goals last year and I don't think he's worth much more than a 4th or 5th either. Lots of 20/20 wingers in the league at ~$3 million.

I think Toronto is more likely to deal Johnsson for a D with a similar Cap. If this was last year a guy like Edmundson (free agent now). Demers is a good example too.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Possibly worth a 4th or 5th round pick. Coming off major knee surgery without proving he can still be a 20/20 middle 6er limits interest.

In my opinion he's only a slight downgrade to Kapanen, so I would be shocked if the bar is set at a 5th round pick.

I'd be happy getting a 2nd or a C prospect for him.

If you've done the research then I'd be interested to hear what team has paid a premium asset like a 2nd round pick for a middle-6 winger who recently had major knee surgery. I think it is also fair to say he was having a below-average year for his expectations before the injury as well.

What are the comparables? Kase is a decent one but given that it would have cost a 1st anyway to dump Backes I think you'd have to agree there wasn't much value there.

Dzingle scored 26 goals last year and I don't think he's worth much more than a 4th or 5th either. Lots of 20/20 wingers in the league at ~$3 million.

Dzingel would get more than a 4th or 5th on the market. I also think Dzingel is a lower energy player than Johnsson, some teams love that bulldog on the puck mentality Johnsson has and would see that as valuable.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Did anyone tell this guy that David Backes was in the Kase trade? And that Kase makes $800K less.

Those are valid points. Kase is also only under contract for 1 more season at the "$800K less" dollar amount. He's an RFA when it expires and maybe with a flat cap he won't get a raise, but he's arbitration eligible and if he has a good season, he likely will get a raise. The 3 year term of Johnsson likely adds value to him vs. Kase as well.

EDIT: Not saying it means he'll garner a 1st, just that the situations are different in more ways than Backes and the $800K.

Last edited:

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
An expanded deal with retention and Fischer is interesting

Not sure how crazy Arizona is about retention right now, especially when from a cash perspective these two deals are equal right now. Both players are owed 3.6 next season and both have already been paid a 1 mil signing bonus.

Fischer is definitely doable though. So maybe the above two pieces plus Fischer, and then Toronto throws back a draft pick?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
That or a solid hockey trade. There's a lot of true depth likely to be available cheaply in UFA, but there's only a handful of players that are legitimate threats to go 20/20 and they're not likely signing for 2.6 cash x 3

I was under the impression that moves of Kapanen, Andersen and Johnsson were primarily to free up cap space, which is why I went the "pick/prospect" route. Yes, there could also be a hockey trade if it is trading one position for another.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I was under the impression that moves of Kapanen, Andersen and Johnsson were primarily to free up cap space, which is why I went the "pick/prospect" route. Yes, there could also be a hockey trade if it is trading one position for another.

I think depends on the fit. Like in the case above a retained Demers/Fischer combo is assets that they can't get via UFA

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad