Confirmed with Link: Anderson to Habs for Domi and a 3rd II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Domi was becoming an issue in Montreal and he was actually traded for another problem before. Where one player quickly found himself passing around the league, the other excelled for a year in a different town. Since Julien took over, the philosophy for the Habs is to get bigger and more physical. However, the team followed an entertainment model based on speed and talent since its conception.

Domi has talent unfortunately he needs to get his head around. As for Anderson, he brings size and grit but has yet to live up to his offensive potential. At 26, it's unlikely he will ever reach it. This reeks desperation from the Habs prospective after failing to land a big fish previously. It worked out in Montreal's favour because many of these players that chose to play elsewhere are now becoming cap problems for their own respective new teams and not living up to potential.

This contract is MB's big splash and llikely heading for a buyout in 3-4 years time. This is a PR stunt to silence the media.

I would of committed 2 years to Domi instead and trade him for futures. With Anderson, MB believes he can compete for the Cup which clearly shows why he is an incompetent GM.

Many comparables can be made but how I see it is the Habs got a better younger Rene Bourque on a David Clarkson deal.

I don't believe he has a choice in the matter. He is an inconpetent GM, but what this proves is how Molson is only concerned in keeping the team on a competitive baseline, to keep banking in. Étiré la sauce (saveur Carey Price) like we say in French.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Since the other thread was closed, has anybody discussed what this means for Gallagher? It surely means that his next deal is minimum 6M right?

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010

Exactly makes sense.

Obviously Anderson had all the leverage in the negotiations with MB. He just acquired him for Domi+3rd round. Was MB really going to let him walk to free-agency? Not a chance and Anderson knew that.

He got FA money and than some. MB was not going to let him walk to FA and lose him. MB is gambling on Anderson. His pro scouts probably told him that Anderson was worth it. I’m hoping this works out. With a contact like that I’m expecting at least a 45-50 points power forward.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Exactly makes sense.

Obviously Anderson had all the leverage in the negotiations with MB. He just acquired him for Domi+3rd round. Was MB really going to let him walk to free-agency? Not a chance and Anderson knew that.

He got FA money and than some. MB was not going to let him walk to FA and lose him. MB is gambling on Anderson. His pro scouts probably told him that Anderson was worth it. I’m hoping this works out. With a contact like that I’m expecting at least a 45-50 points power forward.

He needs to be a 45-50pt powerforward to be worth that contract, and while he certainly has the ability to be that player you really have to question how many out of the 7 years he can do that even if things go 100% right.

My bet is 3 years, 4 if we are lucky.

Contract is going to be another Alzner.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012

I'm not a fan of the contract but if those were the only 2 options Bergevin was presented with, it becomes a difficult decision. Do you risk signing Anderson to a 1 year contract where he becomes the PF we were hoping for and scores 60+ points and then losing him to free agency because we can't sign him to an even pricier contract than the one he just signed?

I'm not sure. I'm just hoping he proves a lot of people wrong, cause reading through all the threads on this contract/player is depressing.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
I'm not a fan of the contract but if those were the only 2 options Bergevin was presented with, it becomes a difficult decision. Do you risk signing Anderson to a 1 year contract where he becomes the PF we were hoping for and scores 60+ points and then losing him to free agency because we can't sign him to an even pricier contract than the one he just signed?

I'm not sure. I'm just hoping he proves a lot of people wrong, cause reading through all the threads on this contract/player is depressing.
60+ points? :biglaugh:

Reactions: Chez Jesperi

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
:laugh:

If it was between a 1 year deal or a 7 year deal, I'm good with the 7 year deal.

Time will tell man, that is *a lot* of term for a player that has 1 season of top-6 level production under his belt, with an injury riddled bad follow up year after it to boot.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Dreger on TSN690 said a lot of teams were in on Anderson. He knows that one team was a Canadian team from the Western Conference. And that Columbus was asking for more than what they got from Montreal, but that the Western Conference team felt it was too steep.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Time will tell man, that is *a lot* of term for a player that has 1 season of top-6 level production under his belt, with an injury riddled bad follow up year after it to boot.

Definitely. That is a long term. But I've wanted Anderson for years now so all that matters to me now is that he is a Hab.

Reactions: 417

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I don't believe he has a choice in the matter. He is an inconpetent GM, but what this proves is how Molson is only concerned in keeping the team on a competitive baseline, to keep banking in. Étiré la sauce (saveur Carey Price) like we say in French.
He's a business man, so he wants to keep the Habs afloat. After all, it's his money and maximize profits. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have much hockey sense and entrusts an incompetent fool to handle his money with players. It worked well for all these years because MB didn't do any high risk moves apart from Alzner. But then again, you can forgive him for that because other teams have done far worse. What saved MB was that the players chose not to sign here. MB was dodging bullets. Not too many bad deals were given out. MB found ways to unload his terrible deals like Shaw for example. Price's contract was not an issue for the owner because he's the face of the franchise, as you stated. Drouin deals was manageable for a 50 point player.

This time, Molson gave clear directions to MB to make a big splash. MB squanders it by giving out a questionable contract. If this doesn't pan out and a buyout ensues, the Habs will be punished severely considering by 2023, the player will start making 7 mil. and 8 mil. the following year. I am pretty sure, Molson will not be too pleased.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
Dreger on TSN690 said a lot of teams were in on Anderson. He knows that one team was a Canadian team from the Western Conference. And that Columbus was asking for more than what they got from Montreal, but that the Western Conference team felt it was too steep.
And all the other teams that were supposedly in on Anderson must be thankful they avoided that catastrophe of an extension.

Reactions: MasterD

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Habs got what they wanted here, too.
Sure, and the Nashville Predators got a speedy defenceman off Mopntreal in 2016.

The good news is that if this move backfires, as it probably will, MB might actually get fired because he can't say "we were re-setting".

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
:laugh:

If it was between a 1 year deal or a 7 year deal, I'm good with the 7 year deal.
Bergevin isn't likely to be here by the time that deal expires if it goes bad so...

Choice was pretty easy for him i'm sure.

He targeted a player, he was aggressive in his trade offer and in contract negotiations.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Well in my mind If I'm calling a player a top line power forward and if he's getting paid like one, that's what I'm expecting.
He's never even scored 60 points in junior lol

His highest was 51 points in his last year of OHL.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Since the other thread was closed, has anybody discussed what this means for Gallagher? It surely means that his next deal is minimum 6M right?

Bergevin did say he intended to make Gally the Habs most paid forward (his own words last week), so it's sure to be north of 5.5.

Also, if MB stays true to his word, this means he won't be going after Hall.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think that team was/is Calgary.

You look down their list of Cs and then put together what Dreger said (that the player the Blue Jackets wanted was/is better then Max Domi)

Monahan?
Lindholm?
Backlund?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Bergevin isn't likely to be here by the time that deal expires if it goes bad so...

Choice was pretty easy for him i'm sure.

He targeted a player, he was aggressive in his trade offer and in contract negotiations.

Anderson was someone they wanted. They made sure to get him and then ensured they locked him up.

Reactions: Andrei79 and 417

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

I would have done the one year deal. There is a much bigger chance of this deal going wrong, than a new deal going wrong after Anderson proves he is a big congributor.

But then again I would not have done the trade in the first place.

Reactions: Doc5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad