Confirmed with Link: Anderson to Habs for Domi and a 3rd II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
We either have an excellent read on Anderson's health and potential or Bergevin just got bend over by a threat of his pricey acquisition going UFA next offseason.

I mean, Domi and Anderson have the same agent. Didn't he know what to expect contract-wise before trading for him? Or he knew and was ok with this?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Oh shit that's a lot of money. No wonder why we gave up that much. I dont like the contract at all.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
David Ettedgui on 91.9 Sports FM, the one who said Habs had a trade for a RW the day before the Anderson trade (although he said it was with a Western Conference team, unless he forgot Columbus is no longer in the West), said that Anderson should be signed over the next couple of days for 2 years between $2.8M-$3.5M.

Well well well...

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
This is the kind of contract that can break a team. Not necessarily because of the salary cap, but more because you have a new guy in the dressing room that has not proven anything in Mtl yet. If he ends up making more money than guys like Danault, Armia, Gallagher and his play is subpar compared to his teammates, that's going to weight on him, and create dissension in the room. See Drouin for a perfect example of this.

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

Jul 6, 2016
This is the kind of contract that can break a team. Not necessarily because of the salary cap, but more because you have a new guy in the dressing room that has not proven anything in Mtl yet. If he ends up making more money than guys like Danault, Armia, Gallagher and his play is subpar compared to his teammates, that's going to weight on him, and create dissension in the room. See Drouin for a perfect example of this.

Just the opposite. Guys are happy now. They will get better contracts themselves. Armia is a bottom-line winger. He will never reach that. Gally will get 7M $ . Danault, about 5-6 M $.

Domi is making 5,5 too for two years and will get 2M $ more after that.

Jul 6, 2016
Both shoulders broken. 1 goal last season. 0.4 ppg whole career. 7x 5.5M

:help:

Saku Koivu should never had played again after his cancer, if I follow your drift. The guy is healthy and will deliver the goods. No doubt.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Alex Tuch signed a 7yr 33.2M deal (AAV 4.75M) at the age of 23.

Production was similar, but Josh Anderson is older.

I doubt either side really wants a long term deal at t:sarcasm::skeptic::skeptic:his point.

Anderson coming off the year he did, probably wants to reset his value to where it was headed pre-injury and the Habs likely want to take a look at how things go.
Well then ...:sarcasm:

Reactions: 417

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So why did Kekalainen trade him if he could get for 2 years at 3.5 mil and then pay Domi 2 mil more for the same term.

He couldn't. Anderson was insisting on a long term deal. Jarmo wanted a 2 year deal and Anderson would only do long term, which Jarmo wouldn't do. It's the playstyle.

Two years of Domi vs 7 years of Anderson. Well worth the 3rd.

It will be easily worth the 3rd just to see the Josh Anderson you get this year. He's a great player, far better than his statline. It's a good trade.

But the 7 year deal is a different story. Josh plays a very violent game.

Both shoulders broken. 1 goal last season. 0.4 ppg whole career. 7x 5.5M

:help:

I'm happy for Josh, not sure for Montreal. :D He could spend a lot of that on IR. No problem with the $5.5m part, it's the 7 years that is bonkers.

Reactions: Roadhouse

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Man we did not want to commit for Radulov but we commit for Anderson? Hope for MB it will work cause this has the potential to be very very bad.

Not the same GM
I know MB is still the face... but seemed like a total change of philosophy starting 2018.

Now on to the trade: I was wondering why Columbus would let this guy go considering the Anderson's "fans" clamoured he was a most-wanted acquisition (across the league!) and a very rare type of player. Now it makes more sense. They were surely not ready to commit to that much money for him. They did not commit to Domi for a lot of years either, maybe on Domi's ask?

Some are still saying 7 years locked better than 2, but that's all speculations. If Domi finds his spot as a reliable 2nd line, 50 pts center behind Dubois, Columbus will continue to be a tough team to play against and might be ready to open the checkbooks for him. Maybe he walks away in 2 years and that sucks. Anderson might become a good 25-20 type powerforward that will be a mainstay in Montreal's top 6 and live up to his contract... or he might be a 20-15 type player who's gonna be overpaid for most of his tenure.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Not the same GM
I know MB is still the face... but seemed like a total change of philosophy starting 2018.

Now on to the trade: I was wondering why Columbus would let this guy go considering the Anderson's "fans" clamoured he was a most-wanted acquisition (across the league!) and a very rare type of player. Now it makes more sense. They were surely not ready to commit to that much money for him. They did not commit to Domi for a lot of years either, maybe on Domi's ask?

Some are still saying 7 years locked better than 2, but that's all speculations. If Domi finds his spot as a reliable 2nd line, 50 pts center behind Dubois, Columbus will continue to be a tough team to play against and might be ready to open the checkbooks for him. Maybe he walks away in 2 years and that sucks. Anderson might become a good 25-20 type powerforward that will be a mainstay in Montreal's top 6 and live up to his contract... or he might be a 20-15 type player who's gonna be overpaid for most of his tenure.

Domi was becoming an issue in Montreal and he was actually traded for another problem before. Where one player quickly found himself passing around the league, the other excelled for a year in a different town. Since Julien took over, the philosophy for the Habs is to get bigger and more physical. However, the team followed an entertainment model based on speed and talent since its conception.

Domi has talent unfortunately he needs to get his head around. As for Anderson, he brings size and grit but has yet to live up to his offensive potential. At 26, it's unlikely he will ever reach it. This reeks desperation from the Habs prospective after failing to land a big fish previously. It worked out in Montreal's favour because many of these players that chose to play elsewhere are now becoming cap problems for their own respective new teams and not living up to potential.

This contract is MB's big splash and llikely heading for a buyout in 3-4 years time. This is a PR stunt to silence the media.

I would of committed 2 years to Domi instead and trade him for futures. With Anderson, MB believes he can compete for the Cup which clearly shows why he is an incompetent GM.

Many comparables can be made but how I see it is the Habs got a better younger Rene Bourque on a David Clarkson deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Domi was becoming an issue in Montreal and he was actually traded for another problem before. Where one player quickly found himself passing around the league, the other excelled for a year in a different town. Since Julien took over, the philosophy for the Habs is to get bigger and more physical. However, the team followed an entertainment model based on speed and talent since its conception.

Domi has talent unfortunately he needs to get his head around. As for Anderson, he brings size and grit but has yet to live up to his offensive potential. At 26, it's unlikely he will ever reach it. This reeks desperation from the Habs prospective after failing to land a big fish previously. It worked out in Montreal's favour because many of these players that chose to play elsewhere are now becoming cap problems for own respective new teams and not living up to potential.

This contract is MB's big splash and llikely heading for a buyout in 3-4 years time This is a PR stunt to silence the media.

I would of committed 2 years to Domi instead and trade him for futures. With Anderson, MB believes he can compete for the Cup which clearly shows why he is an incompetent GM.

Many comparables can be made.but how I see it is the Habs got a better younger Rene Bourque on a David Clarkson deal.

Bolded is what I'm thinking too, which I don't understand because all of the recent moves (2018-now) have been made of short terms deals in line with a rebuilt and making the roster flexible for bringing in young players. Locking Anderson for 7 years indicates that he's expected to be a significant part of the KK/Suzuki/Caufield/etc. core, which is weird to me because I see that core starting to compete in 3-4 years (with the other prospects pushing behind). And based on other Power Forward's history, Anderson's shelf life might not be much more than 4-5 years MAX.

I also don't believe this team is ready to compete now, but the recent moves remind me of Tampa getting bigger last year (difference being we don't have the core to bring those support pieces to the playoffs). I do think these acquisitions make us better though, even if ever so slightly. Edmunson > Kulak, Mete. Anderson is currently more a fit than Domi, and Allen >Kinkaid (I freaking hope).

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Bolded is what I'm thinking too, which I don't understand because all of the recent moves (2018-now) have been made of short terms deals in line with a rebuilt and making the roster flexible for bringing in young players. Locking Anderson for 7 years indicates that he's expected to be a significant part of the KK/Suzuki/Caufield/etc. core, which is weird to me because I see that core starting to compete in 3-4 years (with the other prospects pushing behind). And based on other Power Forward's history, Anderson's shelf life might not be much more than 4-5 years MAX.

I also don't believe this team is ready to compete now, but the recent moves remind me of Tampa getting bigger last year (difference being we don't have the core to bring those support pieces to the playoffs). I do think these acquisitions make us better though, even if ever so slightly. Edmunson > Kulak, Mete. Anderson is currently more a fit than Domi, and Allen >Kinkaid (I freaking hope).
Allen will do great as a backup, however his 4.5 cap hit stings. Many goalies became suddenly available through buyouts, so maybe MB should have waited. Rush panic move in my mind. The only good thing is that he's gone after next year, so it doesn't hurt the team capwise. I don't mind this move to be honest.

Edmundson will do fine and is an upgrade over Kulak/Mete. However, he doesn't bring that much offense. In any scenario, the whole LD fiasco is MB's fault for trading away a good prospect for enigmatic Drouin, letting go Markov and trading away Beaulieu. Losing them was not much of an issue but with what he replaced them: Alzner, Schlemko, made of glass, and AHLer Morrow. That should have been enough to fire him.

It took some 3 years to address the LD and it still needs work. Mete can't develop a shot, Kulak is inconsistent and Chiarot/Edmundson are serviceable D that are not top 4.

Will Anderson help because of size and his physique, definitely, however trading away Domi and a pick was overpayment in my mind. Anderson was hyped by the Blue Jackets and MB fell into their trap. This is what good organisations do, maximize the player's value. Instead, Montreal loves to devalue assets. We saw it with Pacces, Domi and Galchenyuk. MB has some talent though in this regard. He can take full advantage of hyping third/fourth liners/bottom players for late rounder picks and AHLers for Laval.

These so called power forwards in Montréal don't do well as history has shown us. They have lots of pressure to perform. In my mind, 7 years is too long for a player that has yet to establish himself as a genuine power forward. Going through his stats, he has never hit 50 points in a single season and is 26 years old. What stings more with this deal is that player will be paid top dollar starting 2023. That 5.5 caphit is manageable at least.

This is nothing more than a publicity stunt to keep the media at bay for a while. MB will say, I finally got us that power forward you all wanted. Yet, true offensive guys avoid this place like the plague. That shows us all that this is a desperation move. Considering that Domi signed for 2 years and Anderson was given 7, it tells us that MB should not be trusted. A few weeks ago, he kept saying that Hall will cost too much and he rather keep money for the youngsters. My feeling is that they wanted to commit to Domi but the player wanted out. He became a problem and was replaced.

The good thing is that lots of players will have less pressure now since Anderson has been elevated to stardom overnight. I really hope the very best for the player but I have a feeling a buyout is coming in 3-4 years which will hurt the team.

The plan in my mind was to make Anderson the new scapegoat. The player saw the $$$, but he hasn't seen how nasty the fanbase and media can become.

I just hope MB doesn't do more questionable moves today because he is on a dangerous spending spree.

These moves will not bring the team any closer to the playoffs. Offense will. Julien doesn't realize that.

Last edited:
Reactions: abo9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad