Confirmed with Link: Anderson to Habs for Domi and a 3rd II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
He got hurt in the first game of the season. He played the first two games and then was out for two weeks. He came back before he was 100% healed, so he ended up getting hurt again. So he basically played hurt the entire 26 games.

Exactly. He could have played the season with the pain but decided it was smarter to get this fix right away (apparently BJ wasn't too happy about it)

How many times did we freaked out because a player was injured and thought he would never be the same again just to end up being wrong? Yeah sometimes, it happens but most of the time, the player came back the way he was (Concussion excluded).

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
As other have said, it's a risk, but it's a calculated risk. He was really on an upward trajectory before last year. I'm sure some Columbus fans thought he could potentially hit 30 goals before the start of last season.

I have high hopes for him playing with Suzuki. Both Suzuki and Drouin will play bigger knowing that he's on the ice.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I think Gallagher is definitely in the 6M realm based on his play but if we sign him for 7 years, I pity our next GM by the time these two hit midway through their deal...

Yeah I would not do that. But Skinner got a high paying, long term deal. Atkinson scored 30 ONCE before being paid 7 years at 5.8M. Both are small forwards, Skinner did have higher highs than Gallagher but with Gallagher's intangibles I could realistically see his contract value between that of Atkinson and Skinner. I think he can go fetch $7M for 6-7 years, especially with how underpaid he was.

But I'm sure Petry could have gotten more on the UFA market, so it all depends on what Gallagher wants.

Edit: For sake of solidifying the comparisons, both Skinner and Atkinson were approx the same age as Gally in their contract negotiations, Skinner 2 years younger but signed 8 years

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
But as it has been reported over the past few days, because of the number of teams trying to acquire him, the additional 3rd was needed to close the deal.

The word is none of the other teams came close to pulling it off, and now we see why we did.

I really hope this works out, I really really do. I like Anderson as a player and I think if he can return to 18-19 level of play he is exactly what we need. The problem is the risk/reward attached to it, the risk greatly outweighs the reward here in my opinion.

I know there is is some sort of shift in concencus that this team has turned a corner and is now in some sort of quasi state of playoff contention. Personally, I don’t believe this to be true. At all.

I believe the team is still littered with holes and it’s two main cogs (Weber/Price) are teetering on the edge of becoming obsolete. I would’ve been happier with flipping Domi for a late first and getting one more future asset that sets us up for the future.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
The word is none of the other teams came close to pulling it off, and now we see why we did.

I really hope this works out, I really really do. I like Anderson as a player and I think if he can return to 18-19 level of play he is exactly what we need. The problem is the risk/reward attached to it, the risk greatly outweighs the reward here in my opinion.

I know there is is some sort of shift in concencus that this team has turned a corner and is now in some sort of quasi state of playoff contention. Personally, I don’t believe this to be true. At all.

I believe the team is still littered with holes and it’s two main cogs (Weber/Price) are teetering on the edge of becoming obsolete. I would’ve been happier with flipping Domi for a late first and getting one more future asset that sets us up for the future.
They wouldn't go as high as us and given our situation with the vast number of picks, why wouldn't we right.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
They wouldn't go as high as us and given our situation with the vast number of picks, why wouldn't we right.

I think it’s just an act of desperation from Bergevin myself, rather then some stroke of genius.

Like I said in my original post, I’m not a believer this roster is going much further towards contending with this move. We’ll be a bubble team at best for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Miller Time

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The underlying premise behind the trade was that Domi was unhappy and did not have a confirmed C spot in Julien's lineup anymore. To a degree Bergevin had to make a trade to balance the roster, even if you yourself don't believe KK & Suzuki can be top 6 centres down the road. It's cliche as all hell but when did Domi remove the Habs from his social media again? It was coming.
As the GM, you can't allow a coach to toss aside the highest scoring center we have had in over a decade after one semi-disappointing season, at age 25.

So it's still on Bergie.

Reactions: Habs Icing

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
As other have said, it's a risk, but it's a calculated risk. He was really on an upward trajectory before last year. I'm sure some Columbus fans thought he could potentially hit 30 goals before the start of last season.

I have high hopes for him playing with Suzuki. Both Suzuki and Drouin will play bigger knowing that he's on the ice.

On one hand Columbus had this guy for years and decided he was not worth the money despite all he brings. On the other hand Montreal talked with him 5 days and gave him $38M.

He definitely fills a need but ooff the context is scary. Unless he absolutely did not wanna play in Columbus and hated the city for whatever reason.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

It's always a risk. But I prefer a risk for the exact type of player we need than just another player that will be redundant on this team.

There's one narrative here that I hate: "He only scored 20+ goals one season"

2016-2017: 0.21 goals per game / 0.37 points per game
2017-2018: 0.30 goals per game / 0.47 points per game
2018-2019: 0.33 goals per game / 0.57 points per game

Before he got injured, he was only getting better year after year.
It didn't looked he was lucky one year, it look like a progression.

And as you say, he'll probably end up next to Suzuki....by a long shot the best skill center he played with in the last 3 years (other than Duchene for a very a short period of time). And on the plus side, Julien knows how to use these type of player....Gallagher started scoring 30 under Julien.

We might hate that deal 4-5 years from now, but I sure enjoy having a power forward on this team.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

People have short-term memories bordering that of fish. We were 24th before the lockout and previously missed the playoff 3/4 seasons, getting a 9th OA, 3rd OA and 15th OA picks in the process.
Somehow adding Edmunson, Allen and Anderson makes us a consistent playoff team? I do think the roster has improved, but our main problem remains top end talent.

At least with big D's we can clear the net for Price to see the puck, and then we might eliminate a ton of goals like that.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
People have short-term memories bordering that of fish. We were 24th before the lockout and previously missed the playoff 3/4 seasons, getting a 9th OA, 3rd OA and 15th OA picks in the process.
Somehow adding Edmunson, Allen and Anderson makes us a consistent playoff team? I do think the roster has improved, but our main problem remains top end talent.

At least with big D's we can clear the net for Price to see the puck, and then we might eliminate a ton of goals like that.

Well said.

We lack top end talent on the wings, and puck moving ability from the left side of the defense.

The only way this team becomes a contender and fast is if Caufield comes in and becomes a dynamic 40-goal scorer and one of Romanov/Norlinder/Guhle become the 2nd coming of Markov in the next 2 years.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
It's always a risk. But I prefer a risk for the exact type of player we need than just another player that will be redundant on this team.

There's one narrative here that I hate: "He only scored 20+ goals one season"

2016-2017: 0.21 goals per game / 0.37 points per game
2017-2018: 0.30 goals per game / 0.47 points per game
2018-2019: 0.33 goals per game / 0.57 points per game

Before he got injured, he was only getting better year after year.
It didn't looked he was lucky one year, it look like a progression.

And as you say, he'll probably end up next to Suzuki....by a long shot the best skill center he played with in the last 3 years (other than Duchene for a very a short period of time). And on the plus side, Julien knows how to use these type of player....Gallagher started scoring 30 under Julien.

We might hate that deal 4-5 years from now, but I sure enjoy having a power forward on this team.

Yes, that's exactly it, he was also on pace for 25 goals the season before he scored 27 goals.

He's a talented player. Last season, even while being injured, he still had 63 shots on goal in 26 games. He scored only 1 goal on those 63 shots which is a 1.6% shooting percentage. Was it because of his injured shoulder? Who knows, but his average shooting percentage is around 10%.

Reactions: 417 and Milhouse40

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Well said.

We lack top end talent on the wings, and puck moving ability from the left side of the defense.

The only way this team becomes a contender and fast is if Caufield comes in and becomes a dynamic 40-goal scorer and one of Romanov/Norlinder/Guhle become the 2nd coming of Markov in the next 2 years.

Yeah I'm hopeful for the future if we don't cash-strap ourselves too much. I give the prospect pool a good 2-3 years to see some of the higher end options emerge. In 4-5 years if we don't deviate too much from getting a lot of picks I could see the team shaping up nicely and start to produce our own talent from a vast prospect pool. Weber/Price* acting as Chara's. After that, rinse and repeat. Accumulate picks from extra players and generate your talent from your prospect pool. Fill needs as required through trades and a little UFA. dipping.

*And if we push our luck maybe Primeau will be ready in 2-3 years and we can set up a trade for Price and shed that salary - I'm not holding my breath though.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Gotcha, and to be fair it took under 5 months, with a pandemic that caused work stoppage right before an offseason

and youre right, i certainly dont want to brush his injury under the rug as if it were nothing

All i was trying to say was that at least its not the WORST of the worst when it comes to shoulders, no dislocation, no broken clavicle, no AC joint and such

its not like it took extra time because there was a set back or he cant deal with pain or anything like that, it Take a couple of months to build the arm strength back up through rehab and training

Its not like you just sit around for 5 months and its like "ok enough time has passed i feel better now ill let the GM know im ready to go" lol
His contract is ridiculous...

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Well the year before we had 98 pts and missed the playoffs in our insane division. A lot of last season was due to injuries. Not making an excuse necessarily but you have to take the injuries into account.

I'm not saying we ARE a playoff team now but you have to take the season before into account with a similar line up. Take away Domi but add Suzuki. KK likely being vastly improved. Romanov and Edmundson added.

We do really need a top winger at the end of the day.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
His contract is ridiculous...

no, 7x7 is ridiculous.

a guy like josh anderson would of gotten 5.5 OR MORE elsehwere eventually anyway, so cant understand why people cant understand that part

And then giving 7 years to a 26 year old , i do get it it SEEMS shocking but.. once youre brain kicks back in (like its supposed to) , its not like you gave 7 years to a 30 year old and youre in TROUBLE when he gets to 35, not EVEN, the contract ENDS when he turns 33, its near perfect encapsulation of a players prime

Honestly a 7 year term for a 26 yr old actually benefits us, getting UFA years for cheaper than they could Possibly turn out to be

We signed Jeff Petry to a 6 year 33M deal when he was 27, safe to say he's been absolutely worth that contract, now, he just got an extension AND raise to that contract, making it a 10 year contract when its all said and done, wow

Would we have lost our SHIT if we had signed petry to a 10 year deal in 2015?? who knows right

Now I think about how if Petrys initial contract was just for 4 years instead of 6, well not only would we NOT of had petry for those 2 extra years at a moderate 5.5, we would of had to pay a hell of a lot more than we did for his 4 year extension to keep him around

So my point being, say you signed Anderson to a 4 year deal til age 30, and most of those years were solid, now youre in a situation you have to re-sign youre power forward to GOD knows how many more years at GOD knows how much of a higher price!

But no, lets put BLINDERS on and just huff and puff about this CRIPPLING 7 year contract we can NEVER recover from even if he doesnt reach 30 goals...how people think NONE of the other 29 teams wouldnt want to take a chance on him is ridiculous after so many sought for him in the first place

People love to bring up the clarkson comparisons and laugh, oh YEAH? Toronto was able to move that CRIPPLING franchise ruining contract out in year TWO of it, but of course that never gets brought up once

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

To an extent I agree with you, however a lot of people are banking on internal development from Suzuki and Kotkaniemi being what turns us into a playoff team. So in their mind we finally have that elite #1 center in Suzuki, who solves a lot of our offensive problems while we can still be carried defensively by Price to be a playoff team.

I could see it going either way, we could be a bubble team or we could still be a bad team, a lot revolves around Suzuki not only avoiding a sophmore slump but taking a big step development wise.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
no, 7x7 is ridiculous.

a guy like josh anderson would of gotten 5.5 OR MORE elsehwere eventually anyway, so cant understand why people cant understand that part

And then giving 7 years to a 26 year old , i do get it it SEEMS shocking but.. once youre brain kicks back in (like its supposed to) , its not like you gave 7 years to a 30 year old and youre in TROUBLE when he gets to 35, not EVEN, the contract ENDS when he turns 33, its near perfect encapsulation of a players prime

Honestly a 7 year term for a 26 yr old actually benefits us, getting UFA years for cheaper than they could Possibly turn out to be

We signed Jeff Petry to a 6 year 33M deal when he was 27, safe to say he's been absolutely worth that contract, now, he just got an extension AND raise to that contract, making it a 10 year contract when its all said and done, wow

Would we have lost our SHIT if we had signed petry to a 10 year deal in 2015?? who knows right

Now I think about how if Petrys initial contract was just for 4 years instead of 6, well not only would we NOT of had petry for those 2 extra years at a moderate 5.5, we would of had to pay a hell of a lot more than we did for his 4 year extension to keep him around

So my point being, say you signed Anderson to a 4 year deal til age 30, and most of those years were solid, now youre in a situation you have to re-sign youre power forward to GOD knows how many more years at GOD knows how much of a higher price!

But no, lets put BLINDERS on and just huff and puff about this CRIPPLING 7 year contract we can NEVER recover from even if he doesnt reach 30 goals...how people think NONE of the other 29 teams wouldnt want to take a chance on him is ridiculous after so many sought for him in the first place

People love to bring up the clarkson comparisons and laugh, oh YEAH? Toronto was able to move that CRIPPLING franchise ruining contract out in year TWO of it, but of course that never gets brought up once
My god... we signed him for 7 years at 5M a year...

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Lol if you cant comprehend it then you never will

just let the big boys do their work and you can watch and see how wrong you were in the future, normal process.
We have signed a player who’s niche is basically a goon... for 7 years at 5M a year... also? This player is coming off a catastrophic shoulder injury that required attaching the ligaments and muscles of his arm back to his torso... took 6 months as well. On top of that? He’s going to expected to play his physical game with even more vigor on our team.
Can you comprehend this?

Reactions: D Wakaluk

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Oh boy they paid an expansive price for Anderson. It looks they were either desperate or serious about getting bigger. Anderson will improve the team but in no way he is the Shanahan or Cam Neely of 2020. Hard to compare but maybe he will have an impact like when we had Eric Cole. In today's hockey he was an interresting player to take, not as impossible or extra expansive like Hall (the mirage dream), he was available and the Habs grab him, for better or for worse. He's tall, fast, play physical and still young. He said he's 100% recovered from injury.

Reactions: cphabs

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
We have signed a player who’s niche is basically a goon... for 7 years at 5M a year... also? This player is coming off a catastrophic shoulder injury that required attaching the ligaments and muscles of his arm back to his torso... took 6 months as well. On top of that? He’s going to expected to play his physical game with even more vigor on our team.
Can you comprehend this?
you can argue some of your points for sure, but goon isn't one of them. goons don't score 17,19 and 27 goals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad