Confirmed with Link: Anderson to Habs for Domi and a 3rd II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
About the 3rd round pick...

The Habs originally went into this draft with 14 draft picks.

It was obvious some of those picks were going to be used to help address immediate needs.

I expect that may also be the case today.

We have also had a handful of 3rd and 4th rounders in recent years not even get signed due to lack of available contracts. We've had 21 picks the last two years so odds are we'll see a lot of players we drafted from 2018-2020 not offered contacts.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Being an NHL Center Ice subscriber i have to admit i really like this player and am ecstatic the Habs traded for him.

This guy is a prototypical power forward who just made every forward bigger.
Imagine the player went to another team, forbid someone within the division and the difference was the 3rd round pick...what would the reaction be amongst the fanbase?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He scored 46 over 145 games (26 over 82 on avg) between 17-19 as he broke out. Drouin scored 31 in 158 games (16 over 82 on avg) in that same span. He's also quite better defensively, bigger, meaner.

Your issues with him are misinformed.

The real big friggin problem with Anderson is; can he get back to where he was? Can he overcome those injuries? Can he last?
Or maybe you're misinformed.
Anderson's NHL record .24 gpg
Domi .22
What form exactly do you want Anderson to get back to? That .02 gpg better than Domi? Which represents 1.6 more goals over 82 games. And you really think comparing him to Drouin will make me like the trade? BTW what stats are you referring to? Drouin had seasons of 7, 41 and 29 goals in the Q.

Reactions: Miller Time

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Except Torts coaches a more offensively minded game than Claude "Dino" Julien [/B]and Anderson was unable to really do anything for most of his tenure there. I'd have liked Anderson on our third line but we would have overpaid if it was simply a one for one. Many on this forum look at his size and drool but they ignore his track record. And I don't mean just his NHL record. This player was never a goal scorer. Never in his whole hockey-playing career. He's a 3rd liner. Plain and simple and we added a 3rd pick to a #2 C to get him.
Actually quite the opposite - Torts has a very rigid defensive structure. Per Arpon Basu:

The Blue Jackets desperately needed a centre to slot in behind Pierre-Luc Dubois. Enter Domi, a dynamic offensive talent with defensive warts to his game, warts that might be masked by the strong defensive structure Columbus plays with under John Tortorella.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Domi .22
What form exactly do you want Anderson to get back to? That .02 gpg better than Domi? Which represents 1.6 more goals over 82 games. And you really think comparing him to Drouin will make me like the trade? BTW what stats are you referring to? Drouin had seasons of 7, 41 and 29 goals in the Q.
Should read the article in The Athletic by Arpon Basu - not sure if I’m allowed to post..
Meanwhile, Bergevin used that pick to acquire a player who, over three seasons from 2016-17 to 2018-19, was ranked 22nd in the NHL in 5-on-5 goals per 60 minutes of ice time, five spots behind a certain Patrik Laine that has had the entire city of Montreal salivating for the better part of two weeks and ahead of names like Mark Stone (24th), Chris Kreider (27th), Patrick Kane (29th), Sidney Crosby (34th) and Nathan MacKinnon (35th).

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I mostly wonder if his injuries and surgery will affect his game. It wouldn't be the first time that a player change his style..

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
i like the player we got in Anderson, but i hate the return we got for Domi, but in the long term sense. Meaning it's what we ended-up doing with Domi after he had a 72 pts season that peeves me.

I wonder if Bergevin got any interesting trade offers for him last summer. Sometimes it's better to be proactive.

Feeling just like you.
Anderson was one of my top target....but I thought the price would be lower than what we've paid.

We needed size, goals scoring and a right winger all in one.
There's only 5 NHL regular RW bigger/heavier than Anderson.....Mantha, Virtanen, Tarasenko, Reaves and Wheeler.

I still like the trade cause I think Anderson will be so much useful to this team and will help either KK or Suzuki so much by giving them space and some confidence.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
It was a panic move at the time. They did try to get him before, but never actually went for it. With the draft and FA coming up real soon, and needing that “big scoring winger”, Bergevin had to make a decision and fast. He gave up more than he should, to ensure he got his player. Hence a panic move.

I agree it was a steep price but hardly a panic move. My understanding is that conversation had been going on for a while. When we traded Galchenyuk for Domi who had 9 goals in each of his past two seasons everyone when nuts and that worked out fine.

So the trade now is Galchenyuk + 3rd for Anderson.... who also fills a glaring need.

Do I wish Domi was part of a bigger deal for a Liane or Ehlers, of course but someone will need to overpay a lot to get one of those two.

Bergy is not done... Dadanov or another sniper on wing still has to be on his shopping list.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
If we get 2018-19 Anderson, he'll be fun to watch.

Hopefully we don't give him a big contract before being sure his injuries didn't affect him permanently.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Domi .22

You didn't read my post carefully.

Why continue the conversation if you intend to ignore my key points. I highlighted the two years where he broke out, which you ignored. You ignored you're the one who brought up the Drouin trade/Serge trade. You repeat the same simplistic CAREER stats comparison, completely ignoring their different routes and their respective breakouts, which necessitates further context. You also keep ignoring Anderson is better defensively than Domi, also bigger.

Reactions: salbutera

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Is that because you are anxious to see if Suzuki and Kotkaniemi can increase their point totals with Domi gone?
IMO, Anderson is the ideal complement to Suzuki-Drouin duo, will create time and space without slowing them down or having cement hands to blow opportunities, all while maintaining defensive awareness - could that possibly put less of a burden on Suzuki to being “the everything” defensively on that line knowing he’s got Anderson who could take on some of that defensive burden, allowing Suzuki to potentially do more offensively? That’s what I’m hoping..

So yes, I expect Suzuki will increase his point totals and the domino effect of that happening eventually forcing opposition to focus on that line allowing Danault & KKs line to face weaker opposition which (theoretically) should increase both lines probabilities of production output improvement

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Repeatedly see posts of “who cares if MB wins his deals...the team building isn’t any better”....well I’d counter this deal was exactly that “team building ingredient” type deal.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
It was clear that they wanted domi out, he wasn't as abused as Alex was.. but was still dicked around.
Good luck on your new team Mr Domi, Welcome Anderson.

I'll happily eat some crow but I think our team still stinks. Probably go down as another *winning trade* but I don't think this will move the needle much with respect to our team.:whine:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Imagine the player went to another team, forbid someone within the division and the difference was the 3rd round pick...what would the reaction be amongst the fanbase?
Some happy with it, some disappointed...you know...like for 99% of every decision made in this world regarding everything....Some are for...some are against. Welcome to life.
But no, you're right, people disagreeing regularly only happens on HF :facepalm:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Repeatedly see posts of “who cares if MB wins his deals...the team building isn’t any better”....well I’d counter this deal was exactly that “team building ingredient” type deal.
Definitely am pleased that we at least are getting bigger. Hopefully it continues friday signing Martin and trading for Hathaway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad